Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
gtim108
Enthusiast
gtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Kobo Firmware 4.12.12111

Kobo Firmware 4.12.12111

Kobo firmware 4.12.12111 has been released. As of December 13, 2018, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, and the Kobo Forma. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code
gtim108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Thanks for the heads up! No sign of it when I synch my H2O2 v2, so thanks to your promptness I can get in early. Although the release notes read like a copy of the last ones. No 50% increase in user's reading speed included in the firmrware, sadly.
Advert
Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As can be seen, firmware version 4.12.12111 has been released. This is mainly a catch-up release to get all devices on the same firmware version. So, it is going to everything except the Mini.

The release notes are:
  • Hide book title or footer:
    • Keep your book title private, or just give yourself space for words on the screen
    • Go to Settings > Reading settings > Page appearance
  • Reading PDF documents:
    • While reading a PDF, double-tap to zoom in, then swipe to move between sections of the page
    • Double-tap to zoom out, or use a page-turn button to move to the next page
  • Reading Comics (.CBR, .CBZ):
    • Performance has improved when reading .CBR or .CBZ comics, especially when zooming in
    • You can now press and hold to flip through pages quickly in .CBR and .CBZ comics
  • More enhancements:
    • Fast page flip is now up to 50% faster
    • Several Wi Fi issues have been addressed
    • Enabling and disabling Wi Fi is faster

That is largely the release notes for the 4.11.x release to the Forma.

Other changes I know of are:
  • Adding scroll buttons to the bottom of most lists and dialogs. These show in the corners at the bottom. Tapping them will scroll to the next page. Swiping will still work in all expected places. Note that on the first page, there is no left arrow, but you can still scroll backwards to the end of the list.
  • Fix the lack of a refresh after displaying the menu bars while reading if the footer was hidden.
  • Fixes for at least one more situation where the Forma was freezing.
  • Full refresh now done when the font settings are done. At least I think this is new. I'm sure it wasn't there before, but I can't think of when it was added. Note that for an epub, there is two refreshes done. This has been reported.
  • The screensaver info panel has been reduced in size. There is now no empty space between the status and the book status. If the device is plugged in, an extra line is added with the charging state. With the transparency that was in a 4.11.x release, it looks cleaner and is less intrusive.
  • A new hidden option is "UnlockEnabled". This can be used to disable the "Swipe to unlock" message on the Forma. Or add it to the other devices. To turn it off, add "UnlockEnabled=false" to the config file in the "PowerOptions". Using "UnlockEnabled=true" will enable it on the other devices. If you want change the time prompt is displayed, use "UnlockTimeout=n" where n is the number of seconds to display the message.

If I think of anything else, I will update the list.

For calibre, I will update the supported firmware version for the next release. In the meantime, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. There are no changes that affect how calibre interacts with the device.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-12-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added: comment about screensaver info box, UnlockEnabled/UnlockTimeOut
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
As mentioned, this seems to have fixed a minor bug I had with the Forma under-reporting the strength of my WiFi. All my other devices, including my H2O(1) accurately reported. Now the Forma seems to have it correct as well.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

For calibre, I will update the supported firmware version for the next release. In the meantime, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. There are no changes that affect how calibre interacts with the device.
Answering a question I asked in the plugin forum only minutes before you posted this, thanks!
Advert
Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Finally all the devices (but the mini) are all on the same version!

The full refresh for font settings is new in this version. It was not in 4.11.12019. I also had the same thing as k9reeder was describing about the wifi, but on my Aura Edition 2 v1.

As for the patches, I won't have a chance to get to them until Sunday at the earliest (and Tuesday at the latest). The zlib ones should still apply properly though. I'll try to see if I can shuffle around my schedule, but I'm a lot more busy than usual right now. UPDATE: I have managed to find some time to update the patches.

Patches

Last edited by geek1011; 12-13-2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: patches
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And just doing a little exploring in the firmware, and I have just found a new hidden settings and one I hadn't noticed before. They are "UnlockEnabled" and "UnlockTimeout" and go into the "PowerOptions" section of the config file.

"UnlockTimeout" appears to be the number of seconds to display the "Swipe to unlock" message that owners of the Forma love. I don't recommend setting this to 1

Adding "UnlockEnabled=true" on my Glo HD enables the lovely "Swipe to unlock" message. I can't test this at the moment, but I assume using "UnlockEnabled=false" would disable it on the Forma. Of course, I can't think of anyone here who would want to do that.

I don't think that this is in the Settings UI. I don't have the Forma with me check. I'll update my earlier post when this is confirmed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And just doing a little exploring in the firmware, and I have just found a new hidden settings and one I hadn't noticed before. They are "UnlockEnabled" and "UnlockTimeout" and go into the "PowerOptions" section of the config file.
I don't think that this is in the Settings UI.
I can put it there with a patch if anyone's interested, now that it has a config file entry . Thanks for finding it!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Other changes I can think of are:
  • Adding scroll buttons to the bottom of most lists and dialogs. These show in the corners at the bottom. Tapping them will scroll to the next page. Swiping will still work in all expected places. Note that on the first page, there is no left arrow, but you can still scroll backwards to the end of the list.
  • Fix the lack of a refresh after displaying the menu bars while reading if the footer was hidden.
  • Fixes for at least one more situation where the Forma was freezing.
  • Full refresh now done when the font settings are done. At least I think this is new. I'm sure it wasn't there before, but I can't think of when it was added. Note that for an epub, there is two refreshes done. This has been reported.
  • The screensaver info panel has been reduced in size. There is now no empty space between the status and the book status. If the device is plugged in, an extra line is added with the charging state. With the transparency that was in a 4.11.x release, it looks cleaner and is less intrusive.

If I think of anything else, I will update the list.

Quote:

"UnlockTimeout" appears to be the number of seconds to display the "Swipe to unlock" message that owners of the Forma love. I don't recommend setting this to 1

Adding "UnlockEnabled=true" on my Glo HD enables the lovely "Swipe to unlock" message. I can't test this at the moment, but I assume using "UnlockEnabled=false" would disable it on the Forma. Of course, I can't think of anyone here who would want to do that.

I don't think that this is in the Settings UI. I don't have the Forma with me check. I'll update my earlier post when this is confirmed.
Thank you @davidfor for this sum-up. These new features and fixes look exciting to me.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yay!

Sometimes it's the little things that are really appreciated. The number of times I've accidentally opened a book when I meant to advance to the next page of the booklist is frustratingly high. Hopefully this will solve that!
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
You sir are THE MAN!! I can confirm that adding this gets rid of the stupid swipe to unlock on the Forma. And there is no setting in the options. Thank you sir!!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Kobo Firmware 4.12.12111

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
No 50% increase in user's reading speed included in the firmrware, sadly.
Ooohh I would love that feature! I hope they make it in the next FW. Preferably with a sliding speed scale that can be adjusted by swiping the screen up/down on the right.

Quote:

that must’ve been fun

Quote:

Yay!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #13
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I synced my Clara and it did not update the firmware.

How long does it usually take Kobo to roll this out to existing users?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post

Weeks to months... staged rollout, not everyone gets it at once.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post

The last few versions have been going out to bestbuyca, walmartca, and beta first (along with a few others). About 2 days or 1 week later, it then goes out to Kobo, fnac, and sometimes rakutenbooks (and a few others), then it either goes to the other ones a few weeks later or not at all. You can see the current state in the table under the main one (click the link to show it) on my firmware page.