Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
thehaXor360
thehaXor360 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5e View Post
You can install python to run the script in that link.
Okay I see thanks!
thehaXor360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #17
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I tried to follow the instructions but kindlegen outputted a 0 byte mobi file.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraflame View Post
I tried to follow the instructions but kindlegen outputted a 0 byte mobi file.
Make sure your images are .jpg or .png. My tool should have created a bunch of .html files, a .ncx file, and a .opf file. If there are no html files, then it failed.
Dc5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
snahfu
snahfu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
how is reading manga on the paperwhite. is it exactly the same experience as the old kindle 4/kindle 4 touch?

does the increase pixels help?

what about small text in manga.
snahfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
You can install python to run the script in that link.
I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I can't figure out how to use it. Everything I've tried has given me errors or done nothing. I've done the rest of the process and it worked great. But since I can't seem to get kindlestrip to work, I'm stuck with files in the hundreds of MBs.

Could you please give me a step-by-step on how to use the kindlestrip python file?

ETA: Nevermind! It looks like I just didn't have the right version of python installed or something. Reinstalled and now it's working!

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #21
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I can't figure out how to use it. Everything I've tried has given me errors or done nothing. I've done the rest of the process and it worked great. But since I can't seem to get kindlestrip to work, I'm stuck with files in the hundreds of MBs.

Could you please give me a step-by-step on how to use the kindlestrip python file?

ETA: Nevermind! It looks like I just didn't have the right version of python installed or something. Reinstalled and now it's working!
Could you plz share with us, how to do this, I'm also, having a problem to use kindlestrip on windows.
thanks
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
Could you plz share with us, how to do this, I'm also, having a problem to use kindlestrip on windows.
thanks
Basically adapted from pdurrant's post:
  1. Download and install ActivePython 2.7.2 for Windows (x86) from this link. Even if you have a x64 system. When I used the 64-bit version, it didn't work.
  2. Download kindlestrip_v134.py.zip from the post linked (here)
  3. Unzip. To make it easier, I unzipped and copied kindlestrip_v134.py to C:\Test
  4. Copy the mobi files you want to shrink to the directory where kindlestrip_v134.py is located (i.e., C:\Test)
  5. Open a command window (Start --> Run --> cmd.exe)
  6. Use the cd command to get to the directory where the files are located (i.e., "cd c:\Test" without quotations)
  7. Then type "python kindlestrip_v134.py NameOfOldFile.mobi NameOfNewFile.mobi" without quotations and inserting relevant file names for NameOfOldFile and NameOfNewFile
  8. Hit enter and let it run. A smaller file with the name you put in place of NameOfNewFile should be present in your directory once it's done.

That should work for you!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #23
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Basically adapted from pdurrant's post:
  1. Download and install ActivePython 2.7.2 for Windows (x86) from this link. Even if you have a x64 system. When I used the 64-bit version, it didn't work.
  2. Download kindlestrip_v134.py.zip from the post linked (here)
  3. Unzip. To make it easier, I unzipped and copied kindlestrip_v134.py to C:\Test
  4. Copy the mobi files you want to shrink to the directory where kindlestrip_v134.py is located (i.e., C:\Test)
  5. Open a command window (Start --> Run --> cmd.exe)
  6. Use the cd command to get to the directory where the files are located (i.e., "cd c:\Test" without quotations)
  7. Then type "python kindlestrip_v134.py NameOfOldFile.mobi NameOfNewFile.mobi" without quotations and inserting relevant file names for NameOfOldFile and NameOfNewFile
  8. Hit enter and let it run. A smaller file with the name you put in place of NameOfNewFile should be present in your directory once it's done.

That should work for you!
Thank you for the detailed post 7hir7een.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Quote:
Make sure your images are .jpg or .png. My tool should have created a bunch of .html files, a .ncx file, and a .opf file. If there are no html files, then it failed.
your tool created all those files, yes I used png. But I ran kindlegen again and it still outputted a 0 byte mobi.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #25
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraflame View Post
your tool created all those files, yes I used png. But I ran kindlegen again and it still outputted a 0 byte mobi.
Open the .opf file in a text editor and make sure it is filled with lines for each of those html files.

Did kindlegen report any errors? It would be helpful to see its output.

I also ran into a problem where kindlegen wouldn't create mobi files larger than 400 or 500 MB or so. This means that you all your images have to be smaller than 200 - 250 MB because the generated mobi is twice the size before using kindlestrip.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
Damikiller37
Damikiller37 began at the beginning.

I'm planning to get a Kindle Paperwhite and need some advivce.I'm planning to get it mainly for manga since my Kindle 3 (Keyboard) broke a while ago and I have nowhere to read my Manga.Are the programs mentioned any good? If so could anyone upload some photos of it working on a Paperwhite, Thanks a lot
Damikiller37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #27
duelle
duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW
Is it possible to enable Panel View for a comic without parsing it for panels? I don't want or need any of the features of Panel View other than full screen images and saving my location. I've tried converting to mobi with Calibre, but the images are surrounded by huge margins that make the text of the speech bubbles unreadable.

Edit: I have gone through all of the steps and converted a volume and, while tedious, the Paperwhite really shines with manga. If only it was as easy as the PRS-T1 and I could just use PerfectViewer without the need to convert anything.

Last edited by duelle; 11-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.
duelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #28
123qwesz
123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duelle View Post
Is it possible to enable Panel View for a comic without parsing it for panels? I don't want or need any of the features of Panel View other than full screen images and saving my location. I've tried converting to mobi with Calibre, but the images are surrounded by huge margins that make the text of the speech bubbles unreadable.

Edit: I have gone through all of the steps and converted a volume and, while tedious, the Paperwhite really shines with manga. If only it was as easy as the PRS-T1 and I could just use PerfectViewer without the need to convert anything.
Were you successful in gaining access to PanelView with the above steps using sideloaded comics?

I followed the steps but when I read the comic on my PW, every 2nd page would be empty and the subsequent one only will show the next page. Also, panel view isn't available when I tried the above mentioned steps... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
123qwesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
duelle
duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW
Yeah, it's tedious but it works.

Resize images, run KindleComicParser on the folder, run Kindlegen on the .opf in the folder, then run kindlestrip to cut the size in half.
duelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
Dc5e

I've made a small update to the program to enable command line usage. This way you can create a small batch file to pretty much do all of the steps at once.

The command line format for KindleComicParser is as follows:
KindleComicParser.exe [Comic Title] [Path]

If both arguments are omitted, the GUI will open.
If Path is omitted, it will perform the operation in the current directory.

An example batch file (with KindleComicParser.exe, kindlegen, kindlestrip.py, and the batch file in a folder that's added to Window's PATH environment variable):
Code:
echo Kindle Comic Generator

set /p comicname= Please enter comic name: 
KindleComicParser.exe "%comicname%"
kindlegen -c2 "%comicname%.opf" -o out.mobi
kindlestrip.py out.mobi "%comicname%.mobi"
del out.mobi
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleComicParser 0.2.zip (6.0 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by Dc5e; 11-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Tags
comics, k5 tools, kindle tools, manga, paperwhite