Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #361
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Have now tried 3 different USB-C cables, including the one which came with the Note, but still can't get ADB to work. I even tried using a micro USB cable with a USB-C adapter. But, no luck.

I have no difficulties getting ADB to work with my original Max.

Not a huge issue since I won't likely have much need to use ADB. Just strange.
You could try resetting your Note and starting over, but if you've already set it up as you want, that's a hassle. If it's not a huge issue for you, it might not be worth the trouble of a reset.

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot we could do with adb on the Note now anyway - as far as I can tell. Someone would have to do a little hacking first, to see what is possible. No big deal!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #362
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
You could try resetting your Note and starting over, but if you've already set it up as you want, that's a hassle. If it's not a huge issue for you, it might not be worth the trouble of a reset.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about that, but it would be a bit of a nuisance to reinstall everything. Perhaps a future update will take care of the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
To be honest, there isn't a whole lot we could do with adb on the Note now anyway - as far as I can tell. Someone would have to do a little hacking first, to see what is possible. No big deal!
That's much what I thought. So I'll not bother my head about it. I'm quite happy with the way my Note is functioning at the moment although I do hope they work out a few of the bugs in an update and add the screenshot function to a long press of the power button.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #363
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about that, but it would be a bit of a nuisance to reinstall everything. Perhaps a future update will take care of the matter.

That's much what I thought. So I'll not bother my head about it. I'm quite happy with the way my Note is functioning at the moment although I do hope they work out a few of the bugs in an update and add the screenshot function to a long press of the power button.
+1 on the screenshot function! That would be handy for a number of reasons. If Onyx would add the ability to customize the existing buttons (short press, double press, long press), several features could be added, depending on the user's preferences. Onyx could also use the button on the stylus to add features.

On the whole, compared to what the older 6 inch display Onyx devices could do, I'm quite pleased and impressed with my Note. (I've never tried the Max or Max 2 or N96.) Not many bugs at all, considering that this is a new device. I can do things on the Note that I needed my laptop or iPad before. My eyes are pleased about the increased E-Ink use.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #364
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
To summarize:
Buying from the e-reader store means the shipping is chaotic and uncertain ...
I don't think like this. For the moment, some BIG delays exists (too more requests for devices, no devices available, too much e-mails, etc.) and it's true that there it could be difficult to have some replies from e-reader.store. But all orders are treated, the shipping is done by UPS and when a device is damaged during the transport, there is no delay. In normal condition, the support is very good. Even the Chinese are "out of stock" for some devices.

In my particular case, only a delay for obtain a reply, all process for my Max2 was good. I've paid by card and I'm living in Europe.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #365
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
New 10.3 inch Sony is coming in June:
https://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/pr...-CP1/spec.html
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #366
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
New 10.3 inch Sony is coming in June:
https://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/pr...-CP1/spec.html
10,3".... 240 grs. Incredible!
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #367
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij1 View Post
But, file support is limited to PDFs. It also only has 16GB of memory. And, transferring files from and to the device might not be as easy as dragging and dropping if this new Sony device follows in the footsteps of its predecessors.

I will stick to the Onyx Note for it versatility.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #368
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij1 View Post
Yes, incredible: No SD-Card support, just like the Onyx Boox Note...

Looks like the Boyue Likebook Note has become the only hope for people who want an actual tool than just a speedy gadget.

I sincerely hope Boyue does not fail actually releasing it after all this time.

Or that Onyx reconsiders design decisions and again adds hardware components like an SD card reader that used to make their devices so versatile and attractive in the past.

Last edited by orebmur; 04-16-2018 at 09:57 AM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #369
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
Looks like the Boyue Likebook Note has become the only hope for people who want an actual tool than just a speedy gadget.
That tablet has pretty bad specs: Android 4.4.4, CPU 1GHZ and RAM 1G, Wifi 2.4, today that specs are from a crap device.
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #370
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
Or that Onyx reconsiders design decisions and again adds hardware components like an SD card reader that used to make their devices so versatile and attractive in the past.
I also hope that Onyx will include an SD card slot on their next generation of Note along with a few other improvements such as enabling Miracast functionality so that one can connect the Note to a projector via a Miracast dongle.

However, even as is, the Note is very versatile and functional. I am well pleased with mine even though there is further room for improvement.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #371
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader View Post
That tablet has pretty bad specs: Android 4.4.4, CPU 1GHZ and RAM 1G, Wifi 2.4, today that specs are from a crap device.
It will probably be the cheapest 10.3 device, which isn't necessarily a bad result. Android 4.4, while outdated, is still much better than Sony's restrictive software.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #372
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
But, file support is limited to PDFs. It also only has 16GB of memory. And, transferring files from and to the device might not be as easy as dragging and dropping if this new Sony device follows in the footsteps of its predecessors.

I will stick to the Onyx Note for it versatility.
DPT-RP1 and DPT-CP1 have identical hardware which means it could be cracked to Android version.

fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #373
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
DPT-RP1 and DPT-CP1 have identical hardware which means it could be cracked to Android version.
I don't doubt that it could be cracked, but I wonder how difficult that might be for your average user like myself who is not very technologically savvy. I also wonder whether it might void the warranty.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #374
iFlak
Enthusiast
iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: reMarkable
Quote:
I don't doubt that it could be cracked, but I wonder how difficult that might be for your average user like myself who is not very technologically savvy. I also wonder whether it might void the warranty.
This. There is also the matter of time. I've jailbroken my share of devices, but I just don't have the time or desire anymore.
iFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #375
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFlak View Post
This. There is also the matter of time. I've jailbroken my share of devices, but I just don't have the time or desire anymore.
I hear you on that. It's similar to the reason why I am not running the most recent version of firmware on my Kobo devices.

It's a bit of a nuisance having to reinstall everything when each new update wipes out any changes I have made. I then have to relearn how to do things to get Koreader and other stuff functioning properly again... I'd rather just be reading a book. There would have to be a compelling reason for me to want to make the change.

Perhaps if the Sony device had a light and an SD card slot, I might be tempted to get it and try cracking it to install Android. But that isn't the case, and so there doesn't really seem to be such a need for the Sony device when my Note is working well for me as is.