Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
What is this WIND you speak of? We don't get WIND we get DIRT usually from your neighbor to south and our neighbor to the north.
I am most grateful we don't have to go there for the Christmas party this year.
Wow, the trees are still today.
We have the R word today.

I am about 4 hours south of you.
That sure sounds like you're in the Midland/Odessa area and are picking on Lubbock, our very dusty neighbor to the south! Both of our kids went to Texas Tech, and to make me feel really old, one of the grandkids has graduated from Tech. Watching Red Raider football was fun, if you didn't mind getting a mouthful of dirt!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
That sure sounds like you're in the Midland/Odessa area and are picking on Lubbock, our very dusty neighbor to the south! Both of our kids went to Texas Tech, and to make me feel really old, one of the grandkids has graduated from Tech. Watching Red Raider football was fun, if you didn't mind getting a mouthful of dirt!
Odessa/Midland thank you very much. Not picking, just Lubbock isn't my idea of fun in winter, you never know the weather.
It is just we would appreciate it if they kept their dust to themselves.

You aren't old. You are like a fine wine.

Both my younger daughters went to school in Lubbock.
Though moved away for college.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I remember the first time I drove to Lubbock. About 30 minutes out I smelled a combination of Oil and cow manure.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I remember the first time I drove to Lubbock. About 30 minutes out I smelled a combination of Oil and cow manure.
Apache
Now darling, that ain't crude bullsh*t. That is the smell of money.
Which smells infinitely better than a paper mill.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I use to be the onsite phone tech at a paper mill in Camas, WA. And it stunk bad. When I would mention the smell, everyone would say "That's the smell of money." I would respond, "I guess money stinks then." Georgia Pacific bought out that mill a few years back (after I left) and I heard they quit making copy paper now (biggest part of the mill when I was there). All that's left is "soft" paper (mostly toilet paper) – so I guess it stinks a whole let less around there now.

I didn't know they had paper mills in Texas.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I use to be the onsite phone tech at a paper mill in Camas, WA. And it stunk bad. When I would mention the smell, everyone would say "That's the smell of money." I would respond, "I guess money stinks then." Georgia Pacific bought out that mill a few years back (after I left) and I heard they quit making copy paper now (biggest part of the mill when I was there). All that's left is "soft" paper (mostly toilet paper) – so I guess it stinks a whole let less around there now.

The one in Lufkin makes newsprint but I was actually thinking of a Georgia Pacific paper mill that I toured years ago.
In terms of smells, here are the top icky smells from worst to best:
Paper Mill
Sewer plant
Oil & cattle together
Feed lot
Oil field
Chocolate plant (Mars/Hershey)
Yogurt factory

Though oil field would go on the bottom of my list because that smell gets in your blood.

I am not sure there isn't an industry Texas doesn’t have.
You have to keep in mind, Marty lives in the plains/panhandle area, I live in the desert, mom lives on the coast, my great-grandmother lived in the forest, my kids live in the metropolitan area with all kinds of lakes, my cousins (some of them) live in central Texas that has rolling hills. Now the desert does take up almost half of Texas.
We have a varied climate except when MartyTX decides my mother needs his fall.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

For those not from around here, MartyTX is farther from me than I was thinking. He is 259 miles north of me. I was thinking 200.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

Funny you should mention that. my Uncle worked at the local paper mill. He always said the same thing.
Lucky for me the mill is about 15 miles away and the wind almost never blows in my direction.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Why haven't they teamed up with Walmart, Alibaba or some other Amazon competitor to better compete? They are so silly, trying to use restaurants and toys to bring in customers when the reality is retail is down across the industry. This *seems* to indicate it isn't personal, people simply prefer to buy online.

I wish I could buy the dip. I wish I could believe that they were doing something to save themselves as a viable competitor but it is just silliness all around.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
I wish I could buy the dip. I wish I could believe that they were doing something to save themselves as a viable competitor but it is just silliness all around.
I read a headline saying they were looking into smaller stores with more of a focus on books. I didn't read the article and can't be bothered to look it up now.

But wouldn't it be funny if going back to the B. Dalton model saved them?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #26
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
... But wouldn't it be funny if going back to the B. Dalton model saved them?
Haven't thought about B. Dalton in years. Our mall had a B. Dalton and a Walden Bookstore. We had several large Hastings Bookstores, a Borders, and some local book shops. ALL have closed except for a massive B&N store and a couple of small local shops. (I don't consider the local Walmarts as real bookstores even though they do sell books.)

I hope B&N stores can hang in there, but I'll be surprised if they do.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Haven't thought about B. Dalton in years. Our mall had a B. Dalton and a Walden Bookstore. We had several large Hastings Bookstores, a Borders, and some local book shops. ALL have closed except for a massive B&N store and a couple of small local shops. (I don't consider the local Walmarts as real bookstores even though they do sell books.)

I hope B&N stores can hang in there, but I'll be surprised if they do.
Our mall had those too.
All Hastings have closed.
Midland has B&N. Odessa has no new bookstores anymore.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 12-07-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #28
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only mention Walmart because of their corporate stature. Though the first book I ever selected and purchased was at a Lucky's supermarket (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1903888.Virus). So I know the book aisle matters.

I quickly moved on, so glad my small town had a B. Dalton and Walden Bookstore in the local mall. It would be awesome to see a Barnes and Noble move in now that the others have left. The cost of rent has likely gone down :-/
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I really don't know that smaller stores is the answer. Why do people buy from Amazon? Two reasons, one they almost always have the book you want in stock and two convenience. A small store isn't the answer to either issue.

B. Dalton's and Waldenbooks were the first book stores that I frequented since they were at the local mall and there were not any other book stores near by. This was in the early to mid 70's.

IMPO, B&N won out as much because they catered to readers as anything else. It was a great place to go, relax, browse, get some books and then sit and read with a cup of coffee. The staff was generally very knowledgeable and friendly. The draw was as much social as anything else.

I would argue that B&N lost that focus on their core customer group as they started branching out and chasing the financials. That started their downward spiral as much as Amazon did.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #30
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce

Smaller stores (In shopping areas as opposed to a bookstore set apart from businesses, requiring one to travel expressly for the purpose of visiting said store) would increase visibility and encourage visits. Netflix contributed to Blockbuster going out of business but people still dig through the DVD bins in their local supermarket.

Also, I thought B.Dalton and Waldenbooks complemented each other well. This was back in the late 90s so I obviously don't have as much experience as most of you but I seem to remember B. Dalton having more non-fiction and Waldenbooks having the fiction. Maybe they didn't have all the books but I guess they were the only stores I had before I moved to a big city and I could always find/order anything I wanted. There was also a used bookstore in the older downtown shopping area outside the mall, about a block away. Between these three stores and the library I never felt like I was missing out on anything.

Of course it doesn't compare to my first trip to San Francisco, going to Berkeley and having an entire street full of used bookstores. It's a good thing I didn't have bills in those days

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 12-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.