Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
TortoiseAvenger
Enthusiast
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Best non-Amazon reader for me?

Hello all,

I've been narrowing down my choice of e-reader. After getting advice on here for you wonderful folks, and research on my own, I've ruled out Amazon devices for several reasons. I'm also not interested in the B&N Nook devices.

I got a Kobo Libra H2O to try. I like it enough, but I'd love a metal body. I'd really like a flush screen. Auto brightness would be nice, but isn't a big a deal as I originally thought.

I side load everything, and use a Mac. Currently doing a lot with Calibre. From what I can tell, my options are limited to Amazon, Nook, Onyx, and Kobo. I'd love to hear of some other e-ink option that I'm unaware of.

The Kobo Forma seems nice, but I worry about it being too large, and therefore awkward in the hand.

I'm not price sensitive. Any thought or suggestions?

Thanks for all your help on here!
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
My opinion only, stick with the Libra. The Forma isn’t metal, but is flush. If the Libra size is your Goldilocks size, then the Forma might be too large for you.

If metallic is more important than flush, maybe a pocketbook? But I still think Libra...again, just my opinion. If you have the time and budget and returns are easy for you, just try more. You never know what might be the Goldilocks device for you.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
My opinion only, stick with the Libra. The Forma isn’t metal, but is flush. If the Libra size is your Goldilocks size, then the Forma might be too large for you.

If metallic is more important than flush, maybe a pocketbook? But I still think Libra...again, just my opinion. If you have the time and budget and returns are easy for you, just try more. You never know what might be the Goldilocks device for you.
Even though Pocketbook has a copper coloured reader it doesn't mean it is made of metall. It's just colour on rubber.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
AFAIK the Kindle Oasis is the only device with a metal body and a flush screen.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
AFAIK the Kindle Oasis is the only device with a metal body and a flush screen.
Onyx Boox Monte Christo 4 has both, too, but has a 6" screen.
Advert
Old 01-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My old Nook Glowlight Plus has a metal body and every time I pick it up it's cold as ice. After I hold it a while it warms up a bit but it never gets as warm as my plastic bodied ereaders.

When I watch reviews of tablets and smartphones I'm always mystified at they way plastic is treated as if it's inferior for the body of a handheld device. And yet plastic devices are better able to withstand falls, are more comfortable to hold and are a bit lighter. It always seemed to me like we should get a discount for having to put up with metal.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
My old Nook Glowlight Plus has a metal body and every time I pick it up it's cold as ice. After I hold it a while it warms up a bit but it never gets as warm as my plastic bodied ereaders.

When I watch reviews of tablets and smartphones I'm always mystified at they way plastic is treated as if it's inferior for the body of a handheld device. And yet plastic devices are better able to withstand falls, are more comfortable to hold and are a bit lighter. It always seemed to me like we should get a discount for having to put up with metal.

Barry
I always keep my ereaders in pretty cases, so the material which the reader is made from is irrelevant. My 505 is metal, but I barely notice this on the odd occasions I use it. (Not recommended to the OP as it's no longer made and has no frontlight.)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
I have the old Nook Glowlight Plus (2015) with a 6" flush screen and a metal body. When I first got it, I actually missed the feel of my old Nook Simple Touch with the plastic body. I kept using the GL+ because it had the far better e-ink screen, but after 3 months, only used it in a case. After upgrading to a Kobo Forma and a Libra H2O last year, I really don't miss the metal body of the Nook. Both feel just as solid to me and are actually more comfortable for my hands to hold without much slipping.

I agree with @barryem that a plastic device doesn't have to be inferior. When done well, they can be just as nice. I even tried a friend's Oasis for a month before my Kobo's, but I personally couldn't have dealt with the form factor + metal body (let alone other reasons as you put it).

I don't know how long you've had your Libra, but I'd give it some more time if you can just to see if you like it. If not, I'd be very interested in which device you find to suit you.
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger View Post
Hello all,

I've been narrowing down my choice of e-reader. After getting advice on here for you wonderful folks, and research on my own, I've ruled out Amazon devices for several reasons. I'm also not interested in the B&N Nook devices.

I got a Kobo Libra H2O to try. I like it enough, but I'd love a metal body. I'd really like a flush screen. Auto brightness would be nice, but isn't a big a deal as I originally thought.

I side load everything, and use a Mac. Currently doing a lot with Calibre. From what I can tell, my options are limited to Amazon, Nook, Onyx, and Kobo. I'd love to hear of some other e-ink option that I'm unaware of.

The Kobo Forma seems nice, but I worry about it being too large, and therefore awkward in the hand.

I'm not price sensitive. Any thought or suggestions?

Thanks for all your help on here!
The Forma is not awkward to hold at all. On the contrary! If you like the buttons (I don't) it is perfect! It is extremely well balanced, easy to hold one handed and the screen real estate is awesome!

Last edited by Poppaea; 01-11-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:59 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger View Post

I side load everything, and use a Mac. Currently doing a lot with Calibre.
Do you have any firmware feature wishes or dealbreakers? Calibr collections management, library borrowing/integration, that sort of thing? If not, the Oasis might be for you.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnbrwncouches View Post
I even tried a friend's Oasis for a month before my Kobo's, but I personally couldn't have dealt with the form factor + metal body (let alone other reasons as you put it).
That must have been a good friend.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #12
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That must have been a good friend.
Yeah, but he's more of a "gadget" guy than a reader. He liked the idea of a getting a 1st gen Oasis when they were brand new, but then only used it for reading one or two books before moving onto the next new gadget. Now he mostly just uses his phone when he wants to read with the Kindle or Audible apps. The month I got to use it was basically a trial period to see if I wanted to buy it off of him.
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote