Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #5176
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
1BC-9AD is a decade
1BC-99AD is a century
1BC-999AD is a millennia

Remember time started before AD, if you’re grouping years in 10s, 100s, and 1,000s you don’t start from the middle you go all the way back to the start of existence and count in groups to where we are now.
You did notice that we were discussing AD where the first decade is 1-10? And out of curiosity, in your belief system, when is the start of existence? It's not like temperature where we do know what the lowest possible value is.

One friend of mine is using AM 5780 as the current year for some purposes. For that calendar system, there can be no previous era given that Anno Mundi is a Latin version of מבריאת העולם. In yet another calendar system, it is currently 4717 with 4718 coming up in 19 days.

Anyhow, 'nuff said. Time to let this discussion die an unnatural death.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #5177
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You did notice that we were discussing AD where the first decade is 1-10? And out of curiosity, in your belief system, when is the start of existence? It's not like temperature where we do know what the lowest possible value is.

One friend of mine is using AM 5780 as the current year for some purposes. For that calendar system, there can be no previous era given that Anno Mundi is a Latin version of מבריאת העולם. In yet another calendar system, it is currently 4717 with 4718 coming up in 19 days.

Anyhow, 'nuff said. Time to let this discussion die an unnatural death.
I didn’t notice actually just that the discussion was what is a decade a people opted to use AD as the start.

As to when existence began I don’t know but it doesn’t matter for this system. We know time existed before AD thus counting only from AD is silly unless you’re dealing with two events post AD and only need the difference in time between them.

Unless the proponents of 2020 is the end of a decade also are saying nothing existed before 1AD. Which would turn this side discussion into something very different.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #5178
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've bought three books this month that were on my wishlist, and reached their target price, but I'm still not sure about them.

They were all the latest books in series I'm reading and enjoying, but they essentially reached their target price because of paperback releases.

I will be reading them very soon, but I'm not going to abandon my current reads for them.

I think that in future I will resist such books until I want to read them *right now*. It's unlikely that the price will go up significantly in the meantime.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #5179
Tamster
Tamster began at the beginning.

Device: E-book Gillinger
So far I'm managing to resist an interesting looking book by a new writer (that's on special offer). But I have so many wonderful books I want to read already, I must keep on resisting!

And I must remember that it's very likely to go on special offer again in the next few years, so if I miss the offer this time around, I can get it another time, if reviews continue to look good.
Tamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #5180
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamster View Post
And I must remember that it's very likely to go on special offer again in the next few years, so if I miss the offer this time around, I can get it another time, if reviews continue to look good.
Exactly so. The fact it's gone on offer once means it's quite likely to go on offer again at some time in the next few years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #5181
HLS
Zealot
HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
I am pleased I have not bought as many books as I normally do and I feel less overwhelmed. Its only Jan 17th and I am halfway threw my 4th book this year.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote