Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #196
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
I've the impression, that there are two different versions of the Story:
- a more detailed one, probably the "original"
- and a shorter Version, which is published in all Story Collections.
You're probably mistaken. According to the ACD Encyclopedia, several Round the Fire Stories were shortened, but Jelland's Voyage is not one of them.

It was first published in the 12 November 1892 edition of Harper's Weekly, which isn't available online.

Maybe someone who can access this edition through their library can double-check this for you.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #197
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Hello Doitsu,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You're probably mistaken. According to the ACD Encyclopedia, several Round the Fire Stories were shortened, but Jelland's Voyage is not one of them.
As far as I understood, only the titles are shortened (by omitting "The story of ...")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It was first published in the 12 November 1892 edition of Harper's Weekly, which isn't available online.

Maybe someone who can access this edition through their library can double-check this for you.
There are early publications in:
- Phil May's Illustrated Winter Annual (winter 1892 [UK])
- Success (3 august 1895)

Some of Phil May's are available, but not the 1892 edition.

And yes, the version in the book is shortened. How could I know? I got the german translation of the long version and I really don't believe, that all this additional text is added by the Translator.

Maybe I find it, one day ....

vg, mm
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #198
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
How could I know? I got the german translation of the long version and I really don't believe, that all this additional text is added by the Translator.
You never know these things. There's an English translation of Grimms' tales floating somewhere on the web which manages to have 20 or 30 percent more words than the original and the brilliant translation by Margaret Hunt.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:12 AM   #199
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
You never know these things. There's an English translation of Grimms' tales floating somewhere on the web which manages to have 20 or 30 percent more words than the original and the brilliant translation by Margaret Hunt.
Well, but it's not only a translation with some addional words, it's Doyle's style as well ... I still don't belief, that this is the work of the translator. But who knows? Thats why I'm looking for the first edition.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #200
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There are some Harper's Weekly volumes in archive.org, but I reckon we'd need volume 36 (1892), and the latest I found is volume 14 (1870).

Hathi Trust has some content, but nothing from 1892.

It may be found in the Library of Congress or in Indiana University

Or someone could buy it (http://www.abebooks.com/HARPERS-WEEK...e/753342040/bd, http://antiques.gift/harpers-weekly-...-_3904520.html)

There's a PDF here with what could be the cover page of the magazine, but the text is probably the same source as elsewhere.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #201
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Here is a link to the original scanned page. The story begins two-thirds of the way down the first column.

https://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/i...d-s-voyage.jpg
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #202
BalooRJ
BalooRJ began at the beginning.

Device: BQ Cervantes Touch Light
Hello,

I am looking for a public domain epub of a post-1842 English translation of the book The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni to read on my bq cervantes running koreader. The only one on Project Gutenberg is from 1834 trandlated by Andrews Norton and is from before Manzoni revised the novel in 1840 and 1842. Can anyone assist? Thank you very much!
BalooRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #203
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Check out Archive.org -

https://archive.org/details/betrothe...e/n13/mode/2up

There is a version there published 1898 - it's not clear who the translator was but might be what you are looking for.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:01 PM   #204
Leilu
Leilu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kobo Libra 2
Hello,
I'd love to find the epub used on the images on this page so I can use it as a guide. https://sigil-ebook.com/sigil/guide/
The code and the file structure look clean. Thanks.
Leilu is offline   Reply With Quote