Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2021, 06:05 AM   #781
Zakeke
Zakeke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Libra 2
Hi!

Is it possible to set the right tile in the middle row to a specific function?
I'm talking about this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300226

I know that this tile shows different things randomly, but for me it almost always shows articles from the Pocket list by some author, just like in the thread linked above. Problem is, tapping on the tile doesn't take you to the articles, so it is pretty much useless.
Zakeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #782
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
First of all, this is really cool and thank you for the awesome work! I had some requests, I hope they are not too demanding:

1) I like to hide the 3rd row, but I also really love the dedicated Pocket link it offers

Is there anyway to dedicate a Pocket shortcut on the homescreen? From what I understand, row 2 and 3 are hardcoded.

But is there a way to turn a tile on Row 1 to a Pocket button, or a direct link itself to most recent pocket articles I have saved? For example: I have 3 of the most recent books on row 1, and the last space is a shortcut to Pocket, or to a Pocket article.

2) Is there a way to make ONLY the most recent book read appear larger, similar to Kindle's homescreen, where the other 2 recent books are smaller?

3) There's a lot of dead space in my current set up where I have row 1 and row 2 enabled, but theres space between the rows. Am I missing an existing setting to take up the space with larger covers?

4) I assume this is impossible, but any chance Kobo devs, or patch devs could somehow automatically download pocket articles from a curated list of sources? Is there any reason Kobo/Kindle hasnt made this a thing? Or is it?

Basically, getting articles from say, National Geographic, downloaded onto my homescreen.

Sorry if this has all been answered before.
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:18 AM   #783
Zakeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
First of all, this is really cool and thank you for the awesome work! I had some requests, I hope they are not too demanding:

1) I like to hide the 3rd row, but I also really love the dedicated Pocket link it offers

Is there anyway to dedicate a Pocket shortcut on the homescreen? From what I understand, row 2 and 3 are hardcoded.
You can set a Pocket shortcut on 3rd row by enabling "Only show Pocket SmartLink" patch. That should put it to the right column, I have it set that way on my Kobo.

"Change Browse Kobo home screen link target" is the patch to edit the left tile on 3rd row, I'm not sure about how to set it to a specific function, as I wanted a shortcut to the reading stats page and the default setting in the libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml file already does that. If you change it, you should also enable "Rename new home screen footer" to rename the top description of the tile.

I also would like to edit tiles on 2nd row, but so far I couldn't manage to do it, let's see if someone has a solution for that

About 4), I don't think there is a way to get the articles right on the homescreen, but if the source you are interested in provides an RSS feed, you could use IFTTT to automatically save all the articles to Pocket.
The perfect solution would be having a dedicated RSS reader app on the device, but as far as I know there is no such thing.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #784
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakeke View Post
You can set a Pocket shortcut on 3rd row by enabling "Only show Pocket SmartLink" patch. That should put it to the right column, I have it set that way on my Kobo.

"Change Browse Kobo home screen link target" is the patch to edit the left tile on 3rd row, I'm not sure about how to set it to a specific function, as I wanted a shortcut to the reading stats page and the default setting in the libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml file already does that. If you change it, you should also enable "Rename new home screen footer" to rename the top description of the tile.
I know of the "rename new home screen footer".... but what does it do? Why would I rename it if it still is a store link?

I find the instructions on changing brose kobo link confusing. I am not sure what I actually have to do. I would also like to change it to take me to my statistics.

If anyone knows how to edit the link Id love to know!

ALSO is there a way to remove the "Discover" button??

I want either the DISCOVER or "Browse Kobo" options but not both because they both do the same thing, and I suppose Im being extremely picky, but it bothers me to see a redunancy on the screen lol
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #785
Zakeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
I know of the "rename new home screen footer".... but what does it do? Why would I rename it if it still is a store link?

I find the instructions on changing brose kobo link confusing. I am not sure what I actually have to do. I would also like to change it to take me to my statistics.
If you want it to link to your statistics, you can just enable the "Change Browse Kobo home screen link target" patch, it is already set up to change that tile's link to the Activity page. From the commented section above that patch, I think it should be possible to set it to something else, but as it says, "the easy options for this patch are fairly limited", so I didn't try to do something different since the default setting was already good for me.

"Rename new home screen footer" is only needed to change the tile's description, otherwise if you just apply the other patch, you would have a tile that links to the Activity page, but is still saying "Find your next book in Kobo Plus or our store". Worth mentioning that in the commented section it says that changing that string could cause issues in other parts of the GUI, but as far as I can say it worked alright for me on the latest firmware.

About the buttons in the bottom bar, with NickelMenu you can add a new one, and I think it is possible to remove at least some of them, but I don't know if it's possible to edit the existing ones. They don't bother me so I didn't even look for a way to do that.

On the second row tiles, I'm still stuck with that useless tile with the Pocket articles, so if anyone has a solution for that it would really be appreciated, it's the last thing missing for me to have my desired homescreen
Old 01-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #786
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Now that firmware 4.31 has introduced Sideloaded Mode, would it be possible to create some patches to hide the Kobo Store link in the search menu, the Discover button in the bottom menu bar, and the My Wishlist link in the More menu for the standard interface?

This would be useful for anyone who has already registered a Kobo account with their device but also wants the benefits of/mimic the look of sideloaded mode, or wants to keep the home screen and/or Dropbox functionality.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #787
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Now that firmware 4.31 has introduced Sideloaded Mode, would it be possible to create some patches to hide the Kobo Store link in the search menu, the Discover button in the bottom menu bar, and the My Wishlist link in the More menu for the standard interface?
They could have been created before, no one prevents you from doing it. Or I misunderstand something in your question.

Last edited by Semwize; 01-22-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #788
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Yes, I think that'll be fine now.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:16 AM   #789
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about a patch for the Author tab in My books. I would only like to see authors for downloaded books.

Pretty please with sugar on top.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:17 AM   #790
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Newbie here, interested in trying firmware patching for the first time. Quick question:

Is there any convenient list of features available in the patch, or can this only be found by reading through the setting configuration files?
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:31 AM   #791
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Newbie here, interested in trying firmware patching for the first time. Quick question:

Is there any convenient list of features available in the patch, or can this only be found by reading through the setting configuration files?
Try to generate a koboroot.tgz using the patcher files and the log will list the patches.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:18 AM   #792
doki43
Enthusiast
doki43 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Patch request: Have "Search in book" in the same menu as "Highlight". Basically, as it is, you click on a word and you have the options "Highlight", "Add Note" and "Search". Then, if you click "Search", you can "Search in book". that is too many clicks for me. I'd prefer to have "Search in book" right in the first menu.

Would this be possible and easy to implement?
doki43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:22 PM   #793
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by doki43 View Post
Patch request: Have "Search in book" in the same menu as "Highlight". Basically, as it is, you click on a word and you have the options "Highlight", "Add Note" and "Search". Then, if you click "Search", you can "Search in book". that is too many clicks for me. I'd prefer to have "Search in book" right in the first menu.

Would this be possible and easy to implement?
This is a good idea.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:09 AM   #794
jcotton42
jcotton42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Patch request: Change Nickel fallback sans-serif font.
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would like to be able to change the fallback font used by Nickel. I normally read with a version of Palatino extracted from the Kindle firmware, but it doesn't handle everything right, so in those cases I would like it to fall back to Noto Serif.
(If there's a non-patch way to achieve this that's good too).
jcotton42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:17 AM   #795
meropida
meropida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hey everyone !
Would it be possible to have + / - icons for brightness to allow to increment the setting by 1% easily ? Unless this already exists somewhere and I just missed it, I'm new to this patching stuff. Thanks
meropida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests