Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2021, 02:46 AM   #136
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RkLqmV View Post
That sounds great, does the fakereg.zip also work, or just the manual process?
It should, as it is doing the same as you do in the manual process.
But I didn't tested it as I do not one that device.

Hape
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #137
dfmpalma
dfmpalma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis 10th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanspeter View Post
ok here we go. There are 3 menu options:
- copy reginfo from firmware to usb
- copy reginfo from usb to firmware
- create fake reginfo and copy it to firmware

The create fake reginfo function also adds the reg server to the /etc/hosts as localhost.

As normal copy the expanded fakereg folder into the /extensions folder of your kindle.
Does anyone know if after doing the jailbreak and using this method for fakeregistrer can i use the internet service? i want to use the wikipedia and translations options. Is there anyrisk that the kindle update itself and i lose my jailbreak? thanks
dfmpalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #138
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmpalma View Post
Does anyone know if after doing the jailbreak and using this method for fakeregistrer can i use the internet service? i want to use the wikipedia and translations options. Is there anyrisk that the kindle update itself and i lose my jailbreak? thanks
Install this kual extension to block update

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4076733

Then you can use wifi without worry

I believe you need to register for real to use the services like wiki and translation. I may be wrong though
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:44 PM   #139
NewToBooks
NewToBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen 2021
Is it possible to jailbreak / access system files modify & allow online services, wiki, translation, dictionary on an unregistered Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen 2021? - Firmware is 5.14.0
NewToBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #140
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@NewToBooks: That's not something you'll find any help for over here .

Moderator Notice
(This is a warning).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-28-2022 at 10:55 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #141
NewToBooks
NewToBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That's not something you'll find any help for over here .

(This is a warning).
Was this targeted at my question?
NewToBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #142
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NewToBooks: Yeah, sorry if it wasn't clear .

(The justification being we're not here to antagonize Amazon any more than necessary).
Old 09-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #143
esverde
esverde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5/Voyage
on newest firmware 5.14.x, with a fake-reginfo cannot use collections, and there is pop up windows"cloud not available".
esverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:21 AM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by esverde View Post
on newest firmware 5.14.x, with a fake-reginfo cannot use collections, and there is pop up windows"cloud not available".
Just register. There's no harm in doing so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:19 AM   #145
JustSomeRandom73
JustSomeRandom73 began at the beginning.

Device: PW5 11th
Too much moralizing

I've just bought a kindle PW5 from Amazon, new. I have not turned on wifi and flight mode will stay on indefinitely to protect my privacy.

All I want is an ereader. No Amazon store, no remote logging, no updates, no wireless features. A basic feature to sort my books into folders/collections is essential.

Imagine my surprise to discover Amazon has included an anti-feature that disables collections until I 'register' *my* device.

Imagine your PC disabling email until you registered it with IBM.
Imagine your car disabling reverse until you registered it with Toyota.
Imagine your fridge disabling defrost cycle until you registered it with LG.
Imagine your oven disabling self-clean until you registered it with GE.
Imagine your lawn mower disabling the catcher until you registered it with Honda.

...and this just might be the future with the Internet of Things (IoT).

And then imagine finding the hacker community around those devices parroting some nonsense about 'just register - it stops theft' o.0 LOL.

If you want to stop theft, then let Amazon stop it first by making registration an anti-theft feature only, which it currently is not.

The kindle is anti-featured to coerce the consumer into registering! - and that is reason enough to never register and hack around it wherever possible - to liberate the device back to its owner, which is the person who has it in their possession NOT Amazon.

If my device *is* stolen, I'd rather it got used and didn't go to e-waste, remote bricking or anti-featuring stolen devices should be illegal, so too should the manufacturer selling an anti-featured device.

What's even the point of this community then, custom screensavers and fonts? lol.
JustSomeRandom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:26 PM   #146
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeRandom73 View Post
And then imagine finding the hacker community around those devices parroting some nonsense about 'just register - it stops theft' o.0 LOL.
Just FYI, JSWolf is not part of the kindle hacker community.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:01 PM   #147
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And is fairly widely known for living under a bridge, *wink wink, nudge, nudge* .
Old 04-12-2023, 01:23 AM   #148
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
I know this is an old thread, but if I may ask a question? I successfully used this to "register" a Kindle PW3 with firmware 5.13.7, but I have an odd issue. As long as the device is "registered," when I try transferring my books to it (254 books), only 15 pages are visible in Kindle, even though calibre sees all 254 of them as being on the device. If I delete the reginfo file (or rename it) and reboot, all of the books are visible. I can re-add the reginfo file, reboot and the books are still there. I can put them in categories and whataveyou. If I try to add more, though, things go wonky again and books are hidden from view.

The only real reason I'm doing this is for categories, so I'm going to try looking at LibrarySync, but I'd really like to understand why this is doing what it's doing. Any help? Thanks.
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:01 AM   #149
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
So I was able to get LibrarianSync installed and running, so I don't need it for categories anymore, but I would still like to be able to fake register this so that the dictionary works.

I've found another oddity with fake registering using this method, in addition to books being hidden (or maybe another symptom of the same problem).

I added a heap of books, categorized them with LibrarianSync and everything was working great. I noticed that I couldn't use the dictionary (highlighting a word to look up the definition) without the Kindle being unregistered. So I re-did the fake registration and rebooted. Now, when I click on certain books (maybe all, but I only tried a few) I am told that there was an error and that if the book was downloaded from Amazon, that it should be redownloaded. This is on books that opened fine before the fake registration. As a matter of fact, I was in the middle of reading one of them! I undid the registration and once again the books could be opened and read just fine.

The books in question are de-DRMed and I made sure that they are being uploaded to the Kindle as mobi and not the azw3 format. Not sure why they would open on a fake registered kindle.

So... I'm still searching for answers if anyone has any idea. Thanks!

EDIT: I believe I found the answer - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271197 - I was missing the Amazon Name line. I used the bin in this link to make it easier and it seems to have worked. Thanks everyone involved

Last edited by rebeltaz; 04-22-2023 at 02:20 AM.
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, fake registration, hacks, paperwhite, registration