Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-02-2021, 05:47 AM   #1
xiatian
Connoisseur
xiatian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question html to pdf remote images

I want to convert a html file to pdf, but remote images can't be downloaded. I got the error: Blocking URL request with scheme: https. After searching , I found this post:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=330147.

I'm wondering why this feature is disabled now as it worked in calibre 3. actually I think it is a must-needed feature.

I highly recommed to download remote images when convering a local html to pdf.
xiatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't have remote images in the local html. An oxymoron.

Fix the HTML. There are a number of ways. Remote images in a local HTML file is a recipe for disaster.

One way is to open the file in a browser copy & paste the contents to a wordprocessor. Fix styles, headings etc and save in native WP format. That SHOULD make the images local. Do a final extra save as in PDF format.

LO Writer is better for HTML to PDF, and some versions of MS Word too. Some Word versions need a PDF plugin, though I used to use a logical printer on Windows that made a PDF. You could "print" any number of pages from any variety of programs and then finally create the PDF file.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That it worked in calibre 3 was an accident. Conversion is not going to load remote resources. Use a tool like wget to load remote resources and then convert.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That it worked in calibre 3 was an accident. Conversion is not going to load remote resources. Use a tool like wget to load remote resources and then convert.
I use wget, but some people might find copy & paste from Browser to Wordprocessor easier, though that can be messed up too.

I agree that Conversion shouldn't load remote resources.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
images, pdf