Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
J_statt
J_statt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is using the Calibre content server illegal?

I was wondering if using the content server was illegal. Will my ISP come down on me for using it? After all its basically hosting your own little torrent site for your friends to read and download books from.

Just wondering, thanks for any replies in advance.
J_statt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Legal?
There are 2 things that come into play:
1) It is not the Content server that may have issues. It is WHO CAN access it. That may be a Copyright violation . (A definite Legal issue)

2) What are the ISP RULES on running a SERVER from your account? (A contractual issue)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
J_statt
J_statt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I can set whoever I want to access it, which is anyone I give a password and username to. Of course, I'd also have to give them the link to access the server. And as far as I know, there isn't any rules against hosting a server on my internet. I've done it before, though it was years ago and it was a Counter-Strike server. Which probably has drastically different rules to a server like this.
J_statt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
The question is what books are you hosting?

Public domain? No issues whatsoever.

Books still under copyright? Houston, we have a problem...

Calibre server, like torrents, is simply a tool so in and of itself, it's not illegal. It's what you do with the tool that matters.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-24-2019 at 04:03 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The question is what books are you hosting?

Public domain? No issues whatsoever.
Though "Public Domain" has to be defined carefully. The works need to be in the public domain in the particular jurisdiction where the server is located and appropriate disclaimers should be presented to users as to the potential for violations if the users aren't also located in a jurisdiction where the works are also in the PD.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre server, question, server