Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Viewer displays nothing when loading any book from my database

All of the sudden my viewer stopped showing anything, help!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
All of the sudden my viewer stopped showing anything, help!

With the viewer shut down
In the Calibre Configuration folder: RENAME viewer.py.json to viewer.py.savjson (in case you want to put it back)
Try and view something

BTW what OS and version of Calibre?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Viewer displays nothing when loading any book from my database

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In the Calibre Configuration folder: RENAME viewer.py.json to viewer.py.savjson (in case you want to put it back)
Try and view something

Calibre 4.10.1. Where on windows 10 is the Calibre Configuration folder located and what is that folder's name?

Old 02-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Calibre 4.10.1. Where on windows 10 is the Calibre Configuration folder located and what is that folder's name?

Usually it's in User/AppData/Roaming. The folder is named calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Try and view something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Usually it's in User/AppData/Roaming. The folder is named calibre.
I found it here: C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\calibre\viewer.json
and so I tried:
viewer.py.json
viewer.py.savjson
viewer.savjson
but none helped so I changed it back to:
viewer.json

Thanks to both of you!

Old 02-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@alansplace - see attachment

I moved your issue into its own thread, in calibre time 2018 is ancient
  • What format is the book?
  • Where did it come from?
  • And why did you post in the Conversion forum?
BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-14 080553.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	177122  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Does ANYTHING about the book work in the viewer (TOC). Someone may have set the Text color to WHITE (not very visible on a white background). Do you have scroll bars or any other clue that there might be invisible content?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@alansplace - see attachment

I moved your issue into its own thread, in calibre time 2018 is ancient
  • What format is the book?
  • Where did it come from?
  • And why did you post in the Conversion forum?
BR
Thanks for creating the new thread and moving this content into it! Thanks also for the image that shows how to get to the config file easily!!

I really can't imagine why I asked my question where I did?! Tiredness I guess or maybe brain-freeze

Ok, let's start by loading a new book into calibre:

Buy Storm Cursed by Patricia Briggs from Amazon and add it to the calibre database. When I attempt to view it in calibre the ebook-viewer icon appears on my windows 10 taskbar but no window is shown. hovering over the icon produces a small window above the icon that is totally white with an X in the upper right corner that removes the ghost window when clicked, but when I click in the white background it does not open a window. So when I convert the azw3 file to an ePub and try and view it I get the same results as with the azw3 file. So then I try it in Cool Reader and it loads and is viewable and it pages normally.

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-16-2020 at 01:23 AM. Reason: toolbar->taskbar
Old 02-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Does ANYTHING about the book work in the viewer (TOC). Someone may have set the Text color to WHITE (not very visible on a white background). Do you have scroll bars or any other clue that there might be invisible content?
None of the above!

Old 02-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@alanspace - I'm wondering if its something to do with DRM, there's a recent thread somewhere that mentions a new version of the DeDRM tool. I don't buy from Amazon so I don't make any use of it.

Try opening the AZW3 in the ebook editor, the EPUB too.

BR
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
None of the above!

Does the editor also show blank pages? If so, one possibility that comes to mind are the documented issues with Windows 7 (for the most part) and video drivers after updating to calibre 4.x.x. A calibre bug report can be found at E-book viewer is completely blank.

It may help if you are able to update your video driver.

Edit: Just wondering what this has to do with conversion?

Last edited by DNSB; 02-13-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Just wondering what this has to do with conversion?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Already asked, and answered.

Moderator Notice
Thread moved

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-13-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@alanspace - I'm wondering if its something to do with DRM, there's a recent thread somewhere that mentions a new version of the DeDRM tool.
Found it - under our collective noses

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...48#post3953148

As I already posted, I'm Sgt Schultz on Amazon, maybe others can fill in the blanks.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-14-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@alanspace - I'm wondering if its something to do with DRM, there's a recent thread somewhere that mentions a new version of the DeDRM tool. I don't buy from Amazon so I don't make any use of it.

Try opening the AZW3 in the ebook editor, the EPUB too.

BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does the editor also show blank pages? If so, one possibility that comes to mind are the documented issues with Windows 7 (for the most part) and video drivers after updating to calibre 4.x.x. A calibre bug report can be found at E-book viewer is completely blank.

It may help if you are able to update your video driver.

Quote:
Found it - under our collective noses

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...48#post3953148

As I already posted, I'm Sgt Schultz on Amazon, maybe others can fill in the blanks.

BR
Last night I updated Windows 10 to the currant version on my Microsoft Surface. Then I fired up the version of Calibre (3.32) (64 bit) that was still on the Surface and switched the Library to my backup of my Calibre Library (2-7-2020) that I've been using. I then viewed my most recent ebooks (azw3) and my oldest books (mobi and epub). I encountered no problems with any of them. Those same ebooks on my current HP laptop from this same Library failed as I've previously described here.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

When it encounters certain video drivers, the Qt webengine component (used in version 4) throws its toys out of the pram. The potential solutions are: a) if they exist, install newer video drivers, b) install new video adapter (tricky on laptops), c) buy a new computer (test calibre 4 first though), use calibre version 3.

BR