Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Schizophonix
Schizophonix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Web to epub for Android?

Hi there,
I am using the epub format mainly to collect articles from around the internet and organise them into a great knowledgebase via Calibre. I want them organised by category and searchable so they can then form the basis of my research when writing my own articles.

Up to a couple of weeks ago I used to do this with the dotEpub extension on the chrome browser. It is a simple cloud app that turns a webpage into epub, keeping only the text. Recently I abandoned the laptop for an Android tablet. Chrome has no extensions on Android, hence no dotEpub.

So far i have found no android app that can turn a web page into an epub file. Instapaper has a function for downloading the last 20 saved articles into one big epub, but it will not do, i need individual files for each article, for categorisation and research purposes.

Any hints or workarounds are appreciated.
Schizophonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Does dotEpub do a Firefox extension?

Firefox on Android supports the full range of FF extensions (although depending on the extension, some UI-facing code might need to be ported).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
I don't know if firefox for android supports this, but as an alternative to epub, you could use the maff (webarchive) format to download a website as one file.
A little bit more work: just save the webpage and convert the html with calibre to epub. To make the file look clean, you could just use the build in read modus from firefox or use readability.
Speeaking of readability, I now think that has the ability you seek, but as a mobi (which couldbe converted easily by calibre). I think you can use readability as a webservice, which would make it independent of the device and platform. There should be a bookmarklet to for it, which should make using it even easier and should work in many browsers.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@dickloraine: The only issue is that Schizophonix wants to avoid using a laptop and do everything on the tablet; calibre does not run on the tablet...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
Schizophonix
Schizophonix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@dickloraine: The only issue is that Schizophonix wants to avoid using a laptop and do everything on the tablet; calibre does not run on the tablet...
I still have Calibre on my desktop computer, however nowadays i do most reading on the tablet, and i d'like to avoid having to go back to the PC to convert every single file.

Readability indeed has a send to kindle option, but not on Android (and no chrome extension for the same reason).

I will look into the firefox option.

Any other ideas? Thanks.
Schizophonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, you could see if the website(s) in question have a calibre recipe available... and then schedule a job and have the resulting EPUBs emailed to you. Not completely independent of the PC, but at least you don't have to be at the PC. Or you could even have this done by a private webserver -- some people pay ~$10 a month to host their calibre library on e.g. linode so they can download from their calibre Content Server anywhere.

But otherwise, I would say looking into the dotEpub (or similar) extension for Firefox is it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:35 AM   #7
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you looked at the bookmarklet of dotepub and/or readability? This things are not extensions but bookmarks with some code. You just save them as a bookmark and on a page you want to save click on it. But I don't know if and what android browsers support them.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:40 AM   #8
dickloraine
Guru

A final option would be pocket or your instapaper. For pocket there is a news recipe in calibre. But as instapaper it downloads more than one article. I don't know if one could change some code in the recipe to change this.
But there is a plugin for calibre, called splitepub. This should be able to split the big epub into multiple epubs easily.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:44 AM   #9
dickloraine
Guru

If you just use it for research, wouldn't pocket or evernote or onenote a better way? They all allow tagging and you could use them on your tablet, which you can't do with calibre.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
BBR_67
BBR_67 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
GrabMyBooks for Android

Hello everyone,
the best way to capture web pages is to use Grab My Books for Android. Also available for Google Chrome and Firefox.
It is here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ooksFree&hl=fr
There is a Lite version for 5 pages and unlimited version for 0.99 Euros
BBR_67 is offline   Reply With Quote