Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
Gerleu
Gerleu began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3/740
Question Switching between KOReader and Inkpad 3 soft

Hello there and sorry to bother you with that,

I've replaced my defective (but fortunately still under warranty) Kobo Aura One by a Pocketbook Inkpad 3/740 received Monday and I managed to install KOReader without any hassle.

To benefit from such nice features as Text-to-speech and MP3 listening availlable with the original Pocketbook provided software, I would like to be able to switch between KOReader and the generic reader software: any idea or practical hint please ?

Thank you for your so appreciated help as ever and happy reading (and programming of course),
Germain
Gerleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Doesn't koreader have its own file chooser to open ebooks with? If so, you can use koreader to read by starting it from the Applications tab, and use the PocketBook software by selecting an ebook via the Library tab.

It has been a long time since I tried koreader, so I hope I didn't get this all wrong.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #3
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
I don't quite get your aim. In what way do you imagine to benefit from TTS and mp3 player by switching between Koreader and the generic reader?

As far as I know, TTS only works in the generic reader. Maybe it does in Coolreader too, but I wouldn't count on it.

As to the mp3 app, it should continue working in the background, whatever other apps you open and close.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:34 AM   #4
Gerleu

Thank you rkomar and mobama for your answers !

Previously with the Kobo Aura One, the KSM (Kobo Start Menu) was set to alternate at power up time between the generic Kobo reader app and the KOReader and I would like to do the same with the Inkpad 3...

So by simply turning off and on the device, I may switch from one soft to the other to benefit from each specific features !

And in case of problem with an update for example, I will be able to reboot the device with the alternate soft...

Is it possible to do that with a modification of the autorun.inf or another file ?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerleu View Post
Thank you rkomar and mobama for your answers !

Previously with the Kobo Aura One, the KSM (Kobo Start Menu) was set to alternate at power up time between the generic Kobo reader app and the KOReader and I would like to do the same with the Inkpad 3...

So by simply turning off and on the device, I may switch from one soft to the other to benefit from each specific features !

And in case of problem with an update for example, I will be able to reboot the device with the alternate soft...

Is it possible to do that with a modification of the autorun.inf or another file ?
I don't know if anyone has done it.

On Pocketbooks, Koreader (and any other app you may install on a Pocketbook) is intended to work as an app among others, not as a whole different environment. I have not run into any trouble with updates in the Pocketbooks I have owned, except for some undesired "feature" such as reduced compatibility with Coolreader.

I know that in Kobos it works differently. I would argue that Pocketbook's way is better, particularly because the home screen and the set of apps that Pocketbook offers is better than on Kobo.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2018, 03:06 AM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think it is possible to switch default apps that way in an easy way. I think you will have resort to starting koreader from the Applications tab and the system reader from the Library tab. I also don't know if koreader uses the system database to keep track of where you are in the ebook. If it doesn't, then reading in one app won't update the other with the new position.

You use the system/config/extensions.cfg file to specify which application is used to open each type of ebook within the Library tab. However, once you open an ebook with one application, that gets stored in the database and the same application is used to open it the next time. So, even modifying the extensions.cfg file on every reboot won't alternate the reading application for a particular ebook. You would have to modify the database, as well. On top of that, if the current page is saved in different places for koreader and the system reader app, then it won't be easy to switch between them without losing your place in the ebook.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 AM   #7
Gerleu

Many thanks again rkomar and mobama for your detailed responses !

At first, I don't mind to keep track of the current page and book between reader apps.

Maybe the ideal solution is to start always in the Pocketbook mode and then to be able to switch to the KOReader app at will during a book opening.

I was thinking to use the "Open with" popup to specify wich app to use for that but unfortunately this possibility doesn't exist anymore with the Inkpad 3/740...

Or do I've missed something, maybe in the configuration settings ?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerleu View Post
I was thinking to use the "Open with" popup to specify wich app to use for that but unfortunately this possibility doesn't exist anymore with the Inkpad 3/740...

Or do I've missed something, maybe in the configuration settings ?
You still can use "open with", but this only works from within your library. Just long press on a book. If this does not work, maybe theres a problem with your extensions.cfg. Backup the original file then, unzip the archive, copy the extensions.cfg to /system/config and try again

The system folder on the Inkpad is hidden, so maybe you have to make it visible in the first place.
Attached Files
File Type: zip extensions.cfg.zip (856 Bytes, 528 views)
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Gerleu

Thumbs up

Trekk, you made my days: by modifying the mentionned configuration file, now I have the "Open with" choice appearing in the menu !

So I've added the needed lines for each supported format and all is working perfectly...

Again many thanks for your gentle help and all the best for the future to all of you,
Germain
Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #10
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Glad I could help! All the best.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, koreader, start menu