Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
immortal192
immortal192 began at the beginning.

Device: none
What's the vocabulary builder like? (hidden feature)

I was looking into the Oasis 2 and really like the vocabulary builder feature where you can add words to a vocabulary list and study these words "flashcard" style.

I was looking to see if the Aura One has a similar feature and apparently it's a hidden option enabled by setting `MyWords=true`.

My question is: what's it like? Is it "flashcard" style as well? This is important to me because it's the best way to study. What "flashcards" lets you do is show a term and its associated definition on the same "card" and you can flip among the cards quickly.

I'm not talking about a history of terms you've looked up in a dictionary, where selecting the term you've searched in the past will have the dictionary look up the word again. This is not efficient for studying and I don't necessarily want to study all words I've looked up in a dictionary (sometimes I look up a word and I don't necessarily want to add it to a list of words for studying).

Much appreciated.
immortal192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I am not running the most recent FW version, but still am on 4.6.9995. However, I would think that the concerned part will not have changed to the worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal192 View Post
My question is: what's it like? Is it "flashcard" style as well? This is important to me because it's the best way to study. What "flashcards" lets you do is show a term and its associated definition on the same "card" and you can flip among the cards quickly.
Yes there is a flash card style. See the attached image.

Quote:
I'm not talking about a history of terms you've looked up in a dictionary, where selecting the term you've searched in the past will have the dictionary look up the word again.
Only those words are considered that you have explicitly added to the "my words" list.

You might be happy with the flash card thing, if you only have word entries of one language. The problem is that you cannot restrict the words you want to review by language (Actually you cannot restrict them at all. You can only choose between "sort: recently added" and "sort: A-Z".). And you have to specify from which dictionary you want to see the definitions. So say you see an English word and you select the English dictionary. Next you are shown a French word, but the application tries to find it in the English dictionary.

Another shortcoming is that you can only add words to the list, when they are shown by the pop-up dictionary window. If you select a word manually form the dictionary, you cannot add it to the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20180601_213321.png
Views:	632
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	164231  

Last edited by tshering; 06-01-2018 at 04:15 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
immortal192
immortal192 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Appreciate the info. It seems the KOReader devs are quite active and these limitations seem very solvable, so worth submitting a github issue.

Are you able to download/use your own dictionaries? Any good ones comparable to Merriam-Webster or Oxford (unless you can already get these dictionaries)?
immortal192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Appreciate the info. It seems the KOReader devs are quite active and these limitations seem very solvable, so worth submitting a github issue.
Maybe there is some misunderstanding. The hidden feature you mentioned is part of the stock software (nickel). And my description therefore refers exclusively to this software.
KOReader is a reading application different from and independent of nickel. Usually, the KOReader developers do not modify nickel. But it is certainly worth asking them for a vocabulary builder plug-in for KOReader. Or, maybe there is already one, I do not know.

Quote:
Are you able to download/use your own dictionaries? Any good ones comparable to Merriam-Webster or Oxford (unless you can already get these dictionaries)?
You can use your own dictionaries on both KOReader and nickel, provided your dictionary has the supported format, which is different for KOReader and nickel, or can be converted to the supported format. KOReader lets you use your own dictionaries by design. How to do it with nickel you can find descriptions on this forum.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura one, koreader, software, studying, vocabulary