Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #946
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The forum is exactly the right place really. If you wanted to be a stickler about it then you might say the forum is for general chitchat and support whereas the issue tracker is about bugs. We're not sticklers, but I would nevertheless strongly suggest to always report bugs on GitHub to make sure we don't overlook them!
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #947
ranapw3
ranapw3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3
delete

Last edited by ranapw3; 07-30-2017 at 03:55 AM.
ranapw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #948
Wingsnail
Wingsnail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3 Manga Version
Running Koreader on kindle pw3-32

Hi there, I just got a pw3-32g and I want to read epub files with it. This device was not supported on jailbreak, so I went to Kindle Developer's Corner and got helped to make that happen. After the jailbroken, I was able to install KUAL and MRPI on it.

However, when I installed KPVbooklet and koreader following the instruction step by step, the epub files I put in the documents folder in Kindle were not shown in my kindle library while I can see the koreader menu in KUAL.

I have no idea which part went wrong, and the one who helped me on the jailbreak suggested me to ask about it here. Is there any possibility that koreader isn't supported on a pw3-32g?
Wingsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #949
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsnail View Post
Hi there, I just got a pw3-32g and I want to read epub files with it. This device was not supported on jailbreak, so I went to Kindle Developer's Corner and got helped to make that happen. After the jailbroken, I was able to install KUAL and MRPI on it.

However, when I installed KPVbooklet and koreader following the instruction step by step, the epub files I put in the documents folder in Kindle were not shown in my kindle library while I can see the koreader menu in KUAL.

I have no idea which part went wrong, and the one who helped me on the jailbreak suggested me to ask about it here. Is there any possibility that koreader isn't supported on a pw3-32g?

Hey Wingsnail, after your message, I installed KOReader tonight.

You said "the epub files I put in the documents folder in Kindle were not shown in my kindle library" and " I can see the koreader menu in KUAL."

One way you can do this, is without 'KPVbooklet', using just KOReader.

It looks like the way to read epub is to do this.

Open KUAL from your kindle.

Choose the KOReader option in KUAL.

Choose the "Start the filemanager" option in KUAL.

This will launch the KOReader application, where you can read epub files.

You are correct though that KPVBooklet is not updated to support PW3-32GB.

I have updated a copy here that should work on your model. Follow the instructions here to install. https://github.com/koreader/kpvbooklet/wiki

(This package will ONLY work on Manga Model )

Is there anyone here who can put an enhancement request to KOReader to add device ID 293 and 294 ( PW3-32GB ) to the .bin files for KPVBooklet?

Spoiler:

Code:
D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe convert update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_install.bin

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>set KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe create ota2 -d 293 -d 294 -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615 update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_install_converted.tar.gz update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_install.bin
Building OTA V2 (FD04) update package 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_install.bin' directly from 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_install_converted.tar.gz' for 2 devices (Unknown, Unknown), Min. OTA: 0, Target OTA: MAX, Critical: 0, Cert: 0, 0 Metadata.

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe convert update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_install.bin

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe create ota2 -d 293 -d 294 -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615 update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_uninstall_converted.tar.gz update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_uninstall.bin
Building OTA V2 (FD04) update package 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_uninstall.bin' directly from 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_uninstall_converted.tar.gz' for 2 devices (Unknown, Unknown), Min. OTA: 0, Target OTA: MAX, Critical: 0, Cert: 0, 0 Metadata.

Last edited by coplate; 08-10-2017 at 12:46 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 AM   #950
Wingsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Hey Wingsnail, after your message, I installed KOReader tonight.

You said "the epub files I put in the documents folder in Kindle were not shown in my kindle library" and " I can see the koreader menu in KUAL."

One way you can do this, is without 'KPVbooklet', using just KOReader.

It looks like the way to read epub is to do this.

Open KUAL from your kindle.

Choose the KOReader option in KUAL.

Choose the "Start the filemanager" option in KUAL.

This will launch the KOReader application, where you can read epub files.

You are correct though that KPVBooklet is not updated to support PW3-32GB.

I have updated a copy here that should work on your model. Follow the instructions here to install. https://github.com/koreader/kpvbooklet/wiki

(This package will ONLY work on Manga Model )

Is there anyone here who can put an enhancement request to KOReader to add device ID 293 and 294 ( PW3-32GB ) to the .bin files for KPVBooklet?

Spoiler:

Code:
D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe convert update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_install.bin

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>set KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe create ota2 -d 293 -d 294 -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615 update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_install_converted.tar.gz update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_install.bin
Building OTA V2 (FD04) update package 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_install.bin' directly from 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_install_converted.tar.gz' for 2 devices (Unknown, Unknown), Min. OTA: 0, Target OTA: MAX, Critical: 0, Cert: 0, 0 Metadata.

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe convert update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_install.bin

D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\binary\paperwhiteManga7>..\..\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw\kindletool.exe create ota2 -d 293 -d 294 -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615 update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_uninstall_converted.tar.gz update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_uninstall.bin
Building OTA V2 (FD04) update package 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_MangaModel_uninstall.bin' directly from 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.5_uninstall_converted.tar.gz' for 2 devices (Unknown, Unknown), Min. OTA: 0, Target OTA: MAX, Critical: 0, Cert: 0, 0 Metadata.
Thank you coplate, the KPVbooklet is working just fine now. Unfortunatly it seems there's still something wrong to run Koreader.

Before I installed the KPVbooklet_mangamodel, I could see koreader's menu in KUAL but was not able to launch it (neither by trying "start the filemanager" nor "start the filemanager (no framework)"), It just went back to the home screen with screen flashing a couple of times. And after the kpvbooklet_mangamodel was installed, the samething happen when I click the epub files in my library. The koreader itself just can't be launched in my device.

Do you have any point of view about that?

Last edited by Wingsnail; 08-10-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Advert
Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #951
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsnail View Post
Thank you coplate, the KPVbooklet is working just fine now. Unfortunatly it seems there's still something wrong to run Koreader.

Before I installed the KPVbooklet_mangamodel, I could see koreader's menu in KUAL but was not able to launch it (neither by trying "start the filemanager" nor "start the filemanager (no framework)"), It just went back to the home screen with screen flashing a couple of times. And after the kpvbooklet_mangamodel was installed, the samething happen when I click the epub files in my library. The koreader itself just can't be launched in my device.

Do you have any point of view about that?
No, since I have never used KOReader before, I don't know how that works, or how to get any log files that might show what happened.

There does appear to be a file that uses the device ID in KOReader itself.
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...libkohelper.sh

That may need to be updated to support your kindle. Look at line 59 of that github page.
You kindle is either G09 0LK ( black ) or G09 0LL( white )

Also this file has the same reference
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...dle/device.lua

Look at line 579 of this one.

You should be able to find those files on your kindle when you plug in usb, and add your Manga model to those two lists.

I don't know if it will help, but it shouldn't hurt :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #952
Wingsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
No, since I have never used KOReader before, I don't know how that works, or how to get any log files that might show what happened.

There does appear to be a file that uses the device ID in KOReader itself.
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...libkohelper.sh

That may need to be updated to support your kindle. Look at line 59 of that github page.
You kindle is either G09 0LK ( black ) or G09 0LL( white )

Also this file has the same reference
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...dle/device.lua

Look at line 579 of this one.

You should be able to find those files on your kindle when you plug in usb, and add your Manga model to those two lists.

I don't know if it will help, but it shouldn't hurt :-)
It works now! Maybe next time when using some other app I would know what cause the problem and how to find way to fix it.

BTW, I find the crash.log in koreader's folder, with log like this:

Code:
              launching...
  _  _____  ____                _
 | |/ / _ \|  _ \ ___  __ _  __| | ___ _ __
 | ' / | | | |_) / _ \/ _` |/ _` |/ _ \ '__|
 | . \ |_| |  _ <  __/ (_| | (_| |  __/ |
 |_|\_\___/|_| \_\___|\__,_|\__,_|\___|_|
[*] Current time: 08/10/17-15:50:01

./luajit: frontend/device/kindle/device.lua:608: unknown Kindle model 90 (0LL)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	frontend/device/kindle/device.lua:608: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'probeDevice'
	frontend/device.lua:38: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	frontend/ui/widget/container/widgetcontainer.lua:19: in main chunk
	frontend/ui/widget/horizontalgroup.lua:1: in main chunk
	frontend/ui/widget/buttontable.lua:1: in main chunk
	frontend/ui/widget/confirmbox.lua:21: in main chunk
	./reader.lua:91: in main chunk
	[C]: at 0x0000bef1
Maybe we should inform the developers about updating the device.lua file.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #953
coplate
Guru

Yes, I think I see that @Frenzie here works on the github page for Koreader, but maybe hasn't seen our comments yet.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #954
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know much of anything about Kindle, but of course adding a couple of model numbers is easy.

Could one of you confirm if I interpreted the discussion above correctly?

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/3070/files
Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #955
Wingsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I don't know much of anything about Kindle, but of course adding a couple of model numbers is easy.

Could one of you confirm if I interpreted the discussion above correctly?

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/3070/files
Yes, that's what I did (under coplate's suggestion) that got koreader work on my kindle.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #956
Frenzie
Wizard

Alright, it'll be automatically included in the next nightly. :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #957
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Alright, it'll be automatically included in the next nightly. :-)
@Frenzie
Do you know who maintains https://github.com/koreader/kpvbooklet

The kindletool command right now doesn't include this 32GB model, I have added it as a pull request for Niluje, but he hasn't been able to review it yet. Right now the way yo get that supported it to manually add the device ID # to the build command line.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:43 AM   #958
Frenzie
Wizard

Seems to be a project by @chrox who I understand has been busy with a new job. While I'd be somewhat wary about merging anything larger since I'm not familiar with the code or even the program, I'd be fine merging something simple like adding a new model number. Looks like that all depends on https://github.com/NiLuJe/KindleTool though?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #959
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Seems to be a project by @chrox who I understand has been busy with a new job. While I'd be somewhat wary about merging anything larger since I'm not familiar with the code or even the program, I'd be fine merging something simple like adding a new model number. Looks like that all depends on https://github.com/NiLuJe/KindleTool though?
Yeah, two options.
1. NiLuJe updates kindletool to include the new modle numbers in the 'k5' bucket.

2. kpvreader build process adds extra flags to the command line to force it to include manga model.

I have instructions on the other post I made on how people can do this for themselves, so it's not a priority, probably better to wait for option #1
Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #960
Brain
Enthusiast
Brain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quick question. Just received my Kobo Aura One. Should I use device's suggested options and set it up through Wifi, make an account and update firmware or are those steps unnecesary if I intend to use Koreader?
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch