Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Instructions for patching firmware 4.11.11976

This patch thread is for firmware 4.11.11976 (827551f0f4dba4ef3b707ff0fc9e4fad44554fa5).

Instructions for patching on Windows, Linux, or macOS with kobopatch:
  1. Download the firmware from here.
  2. Download and unzip kobopatch_4.11.11976.zip from here.
  3. Copy the original firmware you just downloaded into the kobopatch src folder.
  4. Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps.
  5. Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  6. Run kobopatch.bat on Windows, or kobopatch.sh on Linux.
  7. If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device.
  8. Safely remove your device.

Download

See the kobopatch - An improved patching system thread for more details.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes to the kobopatch zip:
v49 (2019-06-09): New "ePub uniform font scale" patch (GeoffR).
v41 (2019-02-06): Redid the 3 libadobe patches which have been missing for over a year (@geek1011): "Keep PDF pan position between page turns", "Remove PDF page turn arrows", and "Remove PDF map widget shown during panning".
v22 (2018-11-04): Updated kobopatch to v0.10.2 (allows an additional file to be placed in multiple locations)
v21 (2018-11-03): Updated kobopatch to v0.10.1 (nicer log format, integrated testing)
v20 (2018-11-03): Initial release for 4.11.11976 with kobopatch v0.9.2

Missing patches:
- Brightness fine control (since 4.10.11655)
- My 24 line spacing values (waiting for GeoffR to update)
- ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins (waiting for GeoffR to update)

Patches for other files:
None yet.

Notes about this firmware version:
- Although this firmware is meant for the Forma, I have tested this on my Aura Edition 2 v1 (just delete the drivers folder from KoboRoot.tgz, and don't install the upgrade folder).

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-10-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard

Warning: you may not want to install this firmware if you read sideloaded kepubs, as it has broken the css stylesheets for them.

But if you use kepubify, I have added a workaround for this bug.

Last edited by geek1011; 11-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 AM   #4
mountian
mountian began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
Many thanks for the patch. and Could the patch close "swipe to unlock "? just use the power button to wake up the machine. Thanks!
mountian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
jamalau
Connoisseur
jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Warning: you may not want to install this firmware if you read sideloaded kepubs, as it has broken the css stylesheets for them.

But if you use kepubify, I have added a workaround for this bug.
Can i do this also with calibre ?
jamalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:42 AM   #6
jamalau
Connoisseur
jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountian View Post
Many thanks for the patch. and Could the patch close "swipe to unlock "? just use the power button to wake up the machine. Thanks!
No, that´s not possible!
jamalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalau View Post
Calibre will do the opposite. During a conversion to epub or kepub, in-line styles will be moved to stylesheets. You could manually do it in the editor, but that would be painful.

In any case, this is a big problem and there will be a fix out soon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountian View Post
I'm working on a patch, but it's hard, as I don't have a forma. If you could provide a screenshot, it would really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalau View Post
Not right now, as davidfor said, but I am working on a calibre plugin for kepubify (I still need to find a way around extracting kepubify every time, and I need to add options for kepubify's features).
Old 11-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I'm working on a patch, but it's hard, as I don't have a forma. If you could provide a screenshot, it would really help.
I tried ... but I think there's a Catch-22 situation here

To do a screenshot requires the on/off button to be configured to capture the image rather than its standard function of switching the Forma on/off. But to see the 'swipe to unlock' you need to have the on/off switch performing it's standard function.

Is a photo (taken by a rank amateur) any use?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is a photo (taken by a rank amateur) any use?
Yes. That should be enough. I just need to get an idea of exactly what I'm looking to change. Also, does the swipe happen before or after the pin?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Instructions for patching firmware 4.11.11976

1. Don't
2. Revert back to 4.11.11911
3. Go find the patch thread for 4.11.11911
4. Patch 4.11.11911
5. Done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
geek1011
Wizard

Haha. That is one option, but 11911 has its own share of bugs too. I'm pretty happy with the current version, as the bugs don't affect me (all my books are kepubs converted with kepubify), and a bunch of other issues which do have been fixed (import bugs, touchscreen accuracy, etc).
Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Haha. That is one option, but 11911 has its own share of bugs too. I'm pretty happy with the current version, as the bugs don't affect me (all my books are kepubs converted with kepubify), and a bunch of other issues which do have been fixed (import bugs, touchscreen accuracy, etc).
Hopefully a new firmware for the Forma will be released and then a new firmware for all the other devices so we be on the same firmware version.

I don't get how Kobo could release a firmware for the H2O that has the ePub top margin bug and not bother to fix it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Yes. That should be enough. I just need to get an idea of exactly what I'm looking to change. Also, does the swipe happen before or after the pin?
Pic 1: Immediately after switch on using on/off switch.
Pic 2: Immediately after swipe. Had to be really quick to capture that one. Ignore the white rectangle time bottom right. It's a hack and irrelevant to this issue.

PIN would happen immediately after Pic 2.

As you can see, the swipe "feature" was not designed with subtlety in mind

BTW it's easy to patch change the "Swipe to unlock" text but, as patches go, about as useful as a chocolate teapot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forma1_switch_on.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	167476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forma2_after_swipe.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	167477  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:11 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
[...] about as useful as a chocolate teapot
Oooh I want one of those!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching