Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
the_need_to_read
the_need_to_read began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Question New user. A few question on how to do things in koreader

How can I disable continuous scroll mode for PDF files? After a few pages I get the page break line in the middle of the screen. It's so annoying.

I had previously highlighted sections on the PDF but what was previously bright yellow now is very very very dim. Is there a way to automatically make previous highlights darker?
I guess the long term solution would be to hack some (python) script to parse through the PDF and export the highlights and notes as annotations to the SDR file format. This would get me bookmarks.

Is it possible to adjust the start and end points of the selected text?
I do a lot of highlights and it's difficult to get it right at the first time. It's very annoying that I'm unable to adjust it.

Bookmarks are listed by chronological order. Is it possible to list the bookmarks by their ordering in the book?

Is there a way to show the cover as the first page?

Is there a way to ask for confirmation when clicking the "Purge .sdr" action? Or even disable it all together? Very destructive action!

After some skimming and testing highlights through a PDF document, when I exited it asked me if I wanted to save the PDF file. What is going on? Doesn't it create an .sdr file as well?

Thanks in advance.

On a different subject I'm also experiencing problems with:
- book information, doesn't always show up when that action is clicked. Restarting koreader seems to work around that.
- the cover of epub files does not display at all from the book information menu. Free epub used: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/ma...ns/george-long
the_need_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It is always a help if you identify the Device and the version number of KOReader that you are asking about. Also be aware that there are two reader engines involved, one for PDF and one for most other formats. So, it also helps to identify which the issue being raised is to address.

You might also want to take a look through all the menus, top and bottom for each reader engine as will as the menu found in the File Browser.

I don't use PDFs much, but I believe there is a bottom menu item to select scroll or page mode, when in a PDF.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_need_to_read View Post
How can I disable continuous scroll mode for PDF files? After a few pages I get the page break line in the middle of the screen. It's so annoying.
While I'd prefer it if it were the default, it isn't. Anyway, it's in the bottom menu, the third icon from the left (that looks like columns). You can turn scroll mode on and off. Long press to set as default.

Quote:
I had previously highlighted sections on the PDF but what was previously bright yellow now is very very very dim. Is there a way to automatically make previous highlights darker?
Not to my knowledge, but I've also never noticed them getting lighter all by themselves.

Quote:
Is it possible to adjust the start and end points of the selected text?
I do a lot of highlights and it's difficult to get it right at the first time. It's very annoying that I'm unable to adjust it.
Unfortunately not. On the plus side, it's still less awkward than Nickel imho. <_<

Quote:
Bookmarks are listed by chronological order. Is it possible to list the bookmarks by their ordering in the book?
Odd, it's different for me.

Quote:
Not entirely sure what you mean.

Quote:
Is there a way to ask for confirmation when clicking the "Purge .sdr" action? Or even disable it all together? Very destructive action!
Nice catch. I never use that feature so I didn't realize it was sitting there so destructively.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/3082

Quote:
After some skimming and testing highlights through a PDF document, when I exited it asked me if I wanted to save the PDF file. What is going on? Doesn't it create an .sdr file as well?
Highlights become part of the PDF itself I believe.

Quote:
- book information, doesn't always show up when that action is clicked. Restarting koreader seems to work around that.
Could you open an issue please so we can track it?

[quot]
- the cover of epub files does not display at all from the book information menu. Free epub used: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/ma...ns/george-long[/QUOTE]
[/quote]
That seems to be intended.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
the_need_to_read
the_need_to_read began at the beginning.

My device is a Kobo H2O (the model with the external SD card) and have updated to the latest firmware 4.5.9587
I installed KBStartMenu_08.zip and the patch.
The koreader version installed is a nightly build: v2015.11-1109-g06d7eea (11-Aug-2017), downloaded from http://build.koreader.rocks/download/nightly/

And I just noticed that with this version the tapping on the bottom menu doesn't work 9 out of 10 times
Tap feedback on the bottom area works fine in nickel and KSM, and also with koreader on EPUBs.
But with pdf (at least this one) it doesn't work well.
It's not the region, it's the menu itself. I was eventually able to disable the scroll mode. But it took me a while.
I suspect that maybe when that menu is popped some thread does some processing, maybe scan the document, and it stops being responsive.

Quote:
Quote:
Not entirely sure what you mean.
This is really a gimmick feature... heh
So when you open a book for the first time, it opens the book on the first page.
What I'd like to know is if it would be possible to show the book cover that is part of the metadata.
So you'd first see the cover, then you tap, and you see the first page.

Quote:
Highlights become part of the PDF itself I believe.
I confirmed it. And it does. But... It's not something reusable. The bounding box gets messed, so instead of a rectangle I get an X type of thing, with a black color. So it gets "censored" instead of highlighted.
This isn't a big issue since a metadata file is created with the annotations. And may be a problem with my reader on the computer: I'm using Okular (KDE/Linux). But it would be cool if fixed anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Could you open an issue please so we can track it?
Forgot to say, this is from the koreader browser.
On github?

One more for the road;
Why is the "add note" option, that is shown after some text is selected, is disabled for PDFs?

Thanks for the help!
the_need_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not the region, it's the menu itself. I was eventually able to disable the scroll mode. But it took me a while.
That's odd, I've never experienced anything like that.

Quote:
This is really a gimmick feature... heh
So when you open a book for the first time, it opens the book on the first page.
What I'd like to know is if it would be possible to show the book cover that is part of the metadata.
So you'd first see the cover, then you tap, and you see the first page.
Hm, the few EPUBS I have just seem to stick it in there on the first page anyway?

Quote:
I confirmed it. And it does. But... It's not something reusable. The bounding box gets messed, so instead of a rectangle I get an X type of thing, with a black color. So it gets "censored" instead of highlighted.
Yeah, I can confirm that in Evince. I'm not really sure what's up.

Quote:
Forgot to say, this is from the koreader browser.
On github?
Yes. I could also do it if you don't have/want an account but a report buried away in a large message in a random forum thread isn't something I'll remember in a couple of months. Plus other devs may not have seen this thread at all or missed it while glancing at it.

I have no idea where to find add note. I guess you need Evernote for that?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader