Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Selecting text in the new viewer

Say I want to select a sentence or two, in the viewer, to copy and paste somewhere. I select the first (or last word) with double click, then :

sometimes I can extend the selection either to the following words via Shift+Ctrl+right, OR to the preceding words via Shift+Ctrl+left

but at other times I can only extend the selection to following words, but not preceding words - and sometimes it's vice-versa

And at other times I cannot extend the selection in either direction

I can't find a pattern - it's not particular books, all three behaviours can occur on the same paragraph on the same epub. Reloading does not have any effect, nor closing does calibre and emptying its cache folder.

NB: Extending the selection via the keyboard didn't work at all on the old viewer, which makes me wonder if it is intended to work with the new viewer. It doesn't work at all in the 4.1 Editor Preview - but its never worked there either.

FWIW: extending selection via the keyboard works perfectly in Sigil's Preview and PageEdit .

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-14-2019 at 10:44 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its definitely not an intended feature, probably comes from the browser engine. But no reason it cannot be made a feature in the future. Ping me about it when I have more bandwidth.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2019, 03:27 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Its definitely not an intended feature, probably comes from the browser engine. But no reason it cannot be made a feature in the future. Ping me about it when I have more bandwidth.
Yeah that's what I figured, Chrome has the same behaviour as does Edge now. The only browser I have that doesn't is Firefox - but they're probably working on crippling it too

Will do - ping you.

BR
Old 10-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Given that one has the mouse in hand to do the clicking, what is the reason you don't just click on the start position and select the rest with the mouse then copy?

The usual click on start position, hold SHIFT, click on end position of desired selection also works.

John
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator

Disability makes that difficult, double clicking a word is hard enough Ψ³

BR
Advert
Old 10-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Understood. My wife moved to a tablet due to mousing difficulties.

I was wondering too if the mouse being already in hand thing to get the start position and no need to drag to set the end position led to some decision somewhere to not support the KBs anymore. That is, of course, assuming such a decision has been made, their loss could more likely just be an unfortunate unintended glitch.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator

My mouse is already in two hands :lol:

If I drag the mouse around in webengine programs (chrome, calibre's viewer, and now edge) it sometimes drags bits of text around like an image overlay - weird.

Extending selection via the keyboard didn't work on version 3 viewer so I've not lost anything, and sidestepping into Sigil's Preview doesn't bother me.

Curious: are Webengine and Blink one and the same?

BR
Old 10-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Curious: are Webengine and Blink one and the same?

BR
yes. And the old viewer was based on WebKit1, which is what Blink was forked from. Blink is basically the google version of WebKit. WebKit is the Apple version of KHTML, which was originally developed in the KDE desktop project.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote