Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
jeffwalker
jeffwalker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Support for High Sierra?

I apologise if this question has already been answered. I did search the forum but was unable to find an answer. Will Calibre 4 support High Sierra, or is Mojave or later a system requirement?
jeffwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
jeffwalker

Ah. Just found the answer: Mojave or later is a requirement.
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
jeffwalker

So, does that mean there will be no further updates to Calibre v3 to add support for new Kobo database versions?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes no more v3 updates. You dont need them for new database versions, just enable the setting to support unsupported db versions and you will be fine. Kobo has not made incompatible changes to the firmware in years.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Is the Mojave requirement an absolute and hard requirement where if I try to install it on High Sierra it will crash or be otherwise unusable?

Or is it more that v4 hasn't been tested on High Sierra and is therefore not officially supported, i.e., "use at your own risk"?

Thank you!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Qt 5.12.5 and its QtWebEngine does compile and run all of the way back to macOS 10.12.
Is the reason Mojave is required a new constraint in Qt 5.13.x or is this requirement due to Apple's notarization process?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just lack the resources to try to support anything before Mojave. It might run, I have no idea. macOS is not a primary platform for me, supporting more than a couple of the most recent iterations (especially since Apple loves to break backward compatibility) is a no go for me.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
... It might run, I have no idea ...
Thanks for the quick response!

I could not restrain my curiosity, and sadly, v4 does not run on High Sierra.

After successfully copying it into my Applications folder (despite the circle/slash symbol trying to dissuade from touching it), I tried to launch and got a pop-up that read: "You can't use this version of the application "calibre" with this version of macOS. You have macOS 10.13.6. The application requires 10.14 or later."

(Not complaining, just reporting in case this info is useful to anyone. I will stick with 3.48. Thank you!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre4.png
Views:	291
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	173978  

Last edited by odamizu; 10-05-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: reduced size of image per forum guidelines - sorry!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:49 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwalker View Post
So, does that mean there will be no further updates to Calibre v3 to add support for new Kobo database versions?
As Kovid said, just enable the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver. Nothing in firmware 4.18.x will cause a problem. And that includes if you enable Dropbox support on your Forma.

If you can't update calibre for some reason, when Kobo releases a new firmware version, check the Kobo forum. There will be a thread created for the release. I will post a statement about calibre support in that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
jeffwalker

Okay, thanks.

I'm using a mid-2011 27in iMac which won't update beyond High Sierra, hence the question.

Quote:
I just lack the resources to try to support anything before Mojave.
Currently I lack the resources to buy a new 27in iMac.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Okay, thanks.

I'm using a mid-2011 27in iMac which won't update beyond High Sierra, hence the question.

If you buy a new video card (replace the GPU) for your iMac, you can use the Catalina patcher to install Catalina on your iMac.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

The following is form the Known Issues section of the Catalina patcher site.

Quote:
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series graphics acceleration: Currently, it is not possible to achieve full graphics acceleration under Catalina on any machines that use a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. If you have a machine with one of these GPUs installed, I'd advise upgrading it if possible (can be done in 2010/2011 iMacs, iMac11,x-12,x), disabling the dedicated GPU if using a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2/8,3, instructions to do so can be found here), or not installing Catalina. Running Catalina without full graphics acceleration will result in extremely poor system performance.
It says you can replace the GPU on your 2011 iMac.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-11-2019 at 08:39 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
shiningprince
shiningprince began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Using same book database with both 4.X and 3.X versions

Quote:
Okay, thanks.

Thanks for your questions and also for all the answers. kovidgoyal: fantastic app you have created by the way. I have a simple question related to this: I am similarly using a 2011 Macbook Pro and will stay with the 3.X version of Calibre for now on that. I am also using a Mac Pro desktop which is on Mojave and so I was thinking about updating to 4.1 on that. But since I share the book files database between the two computers on Dropbox, I don't want to install 4.1 and then find out later that it has somehow "updated my database" and rendered it unusable with the 3.X versions. Do I have nothing to fear and I can use the same database with both versions? I suspect I can, but just want to be sure. Thanks!
shiningprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes there are no database level changes between 3.x and 4.x. At somepoint there will be a database change to add support for annotations to the new viewer, but it wont affect interoperation with 3.x, 3.x will simply ignore the annotations table.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #14
shiningprince
shiningprince began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes there are no database level changes between 3.x and 4.x. At somepoint there will be a database change to add support for annotations to the new viewer, but it wont affect interoperation with 3.x, 3.x will simply ignore the annotations table.
Great! That’s what I was thinking. Many thanks for the quick reply!
shiningprince is offline   Reply With Quote