Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #61
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I use Calibre to download fanfiction and I rarely add cover to the epubs, because it takes up too much space. Why do I have to have one created I never asked for?
Ok, it's true that when you don't have a cover and open the book in the viewer, a cover is generated and you see it in the viewer. However, that auto-generated cover does not seem to be saved anywhere. After closing the book, if you go to the book folder, there is no picture and the size of the ebook files have not changed at all, so I think it's not a problem.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #62
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
One more minor annoyance to report. In the old viewer, when I opened a book and advanced to a new chapter, if the table of contents was collapsed it automatically expanded to let me see the chapter I was in. Now, the TOC does not automatically expand like that.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #63
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by db105 View Post
Ok, it's true that when you don't have a cover and open the book in the viewer, a cover is generated and you see it in the viewer. However, that auto-generated cover does not seem to be saved anywhere. After closing the book, if you go to the book folder, there is no picture and the size of the ebook files have not changed at all, so I think it's not a problem.
But why? Why not make that optional so it can be turned of, if you don't want the cover?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #64
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@sjfan links are working fine for me. Note that in pagd mode in both the new viewer and the old a link will only take you to the page that has the target, not the actual location within the page. You might want to use flow mode instead (under page layout in the viewer preferences)
I only use flow mode (I just re-confirmed in settings), and it's not working for me; it jumps to the very top of the file, but the ID seems to be ignored.

A minimal epub that exhibits the problem for me is attached. The TOC "Link Destination" entry doesn't jump down to the "Link Destination" h2 header. Neither does the inline link at the top of the document.

Both work fine in calibre 3.x (I just re-tested in 3.42 on another machine, but it was working in a more recent 3.x on my primary machine until I updated to 4.0 yesterday).

This is on Ubuntu 16, with calibre 4.0.
Code:
$ cat /etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS"

$ ebook-viewer --version
ebook-viewer (calibre 4.0)
Screenshots confirming the flow mode in preferences and the location in the file after clicking on "Link Destination" in the TOC included.

Thanks for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PreferencesScreenshot.png
Views:	222
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	173987   Click image for larger version

Name:	LocationAfterClickingLinkDestinationInTOC.png
Views:	215
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	173988  
Attached Files
File Type: epub TOC_IDLink_Test.epub (2.7 KB, 104 views)
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #65
riccardobaldinot
riccardobaldinot began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinsley View Post
Did you read the last 10 posts of this topic ?

BR
About downgrading, or about problems scrolling pages, updating windows, page count?
riccardobaldinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #66
riccardobaldinot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I actually use the old viewer with the new Calibre version. For this, I unchecked all file formats in the internal viewer preferences. Then I downloaded Calibre Portable 3.48 and associated the ebook formats with its viewer. Now, when I have Calibre 4.0 open and click on a format, it opens in the old viewer.
I have been browsing all the Preferences in Calibre, but I could not find where associations are. Could you please explain me? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #67
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccardobaldinot View Post
I have been browsing all the Preferences in Calibre, but I could not find where associations are. Could you please explain me? Thanks.
Associations are not done in Calibre, but in the computer settings. With Windows, there's a setting for associating files by file format. You select the format, browse to the place on your PC where you installed Calibre Portable and select its viewer (ebook-viewer.exe) as the default program for the format.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #68
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccardobaldinot View Post
Another way to achieve a similar result is to install 3.48 32bit or portable, and use calibre's Open With feature. To get at it, right click a format in book details, e.g. EPUB and select Open EPUB with then select Add other application for EPUB files then browse for the 32bit/portable viewer - e.g. D:\_Sandpit\Calibre 3.48\Calibre\ebook-viewer.exe.

I prefer this method to messing with Windows file associations, which have been known to disappear from under one's nose.

You can give format/viewer combinations a keyboard shortcut - e.g. for EPUBs I have Sigil at Shift+S and for DOCXs I have Word at Shift+W etc.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Another way to achieve a similar result is to install 3.48 32bit or portable, and use calibre's Open With feature. To get at it, right click a format in book details, e.g. EPUB and select Open EPUB with then select Add other application for EPUB files then browse for the 32bit/portable viewer - e.g. D:\_Sandpit\Calibre 3.48\Calibre\ebook-viewer.exe.

I prefer this method to messing with Windows file associations, which have been known to disappear from under one's nose.

You can give format/viewer combinations a keyboard shortcut - e.g. for EPUBs I have Sigil at Shift+S and for DOCXs I have Word at Shift+W etc.

BR
I actually did it by your method at first, but for some reason it didn't work properly. Can't remember the details anymore, and admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time on it. It was just easier to use the Windows associating at that point.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #70
riccardobaldinot

Thanks to BetterRed and Sirtel for their clarifying posts.
I know about Window associations pros and cons, but I didn't understand you were talking about it... my fault.
Regarding the Open With feature, I just discovere it after my 4.0.0. install and viewer-related problems. I tried to use it with Sumatra PDF, but nothing seemed to happen, apart giving me this new option the next time I tried. Then I noticed Sumatra was said active in the Windows processes, but not working. Then I found that, starting Sumatra first then giving the Open With, it all went good, but this may be caused by my Sumatra, as it is a Portable version, who knows.
Thanks again
Old 10-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #71
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@sjfan: that was a problem in flow mode, will be fixed in the next release. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...551b50916572c0
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #72
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I have tried several times with my virus-software but I keep getting this error at random books.

Code:
calibre, version 4.0.0
ERROR: Loading book failed: Failed to open the book at D:\Calibre\[WIP AO3]\ashestoashesanddusttodust\Living Despite It All (9979)\Living Despite It All - ashestoashesanddusttodust.epub. Click "Show details" for more info.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\ui.py", line 248, in _load_ebook_worker
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\convert_book.py", line 162, in prepare_book
WindowsError: [Error 5] Adgang n�gtet
What's even more frustrating is that sometimes they work other times they don't. I have no idea what to do now. I hope someone here has another suggestion?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #73
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And where those new files must replace the old ones in Calibre Portable?
Thanks in advance.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #74
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have told you before, I have added a retry for this operation to work around antivirus/file sync software, you just need to wait for the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I have tried several times with my virus-software but I keep getting this error at random books.

Code:
calibre, version 4.0.0
ERROR: Loading book failed: Failed to open the book at D:\Calibre\[WIP AO3]\ashestoashesanddusttodust\Living Despite It All (9979)\Living Despite It All - ashestoashesanddusttodust.epub. Click "Show details" for more info.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\ui.py", line 248, in _load_ebook_worker
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\convert_book.py", line 162, in prepare_book
WindowsError: [Error 5] Adgang n�gtet
What's even more frustrating is that sometimes they work other times they don't. I have no idea what to do now. I hope someone here has another suggestion?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #75
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
And where those new files must replace the old ones in Calibre Portable?
Thanks in advance.
If you wan tto run calibre from source, see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html