Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #46
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Two minor points on the v4.0 reader:

- Is there a discussion somewhere I could read about why the reader makes up a cover image now? I'd turn that off if there was an option for it. Failing that, I'd expect it to use the Calibre metadata cover when there isn't one in the file.

- Hotkeys Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-W (in windows) used to both close the viewer, now they don't.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
How about adding the old viewer as well and let us decide which ebook-viewer we want to use?
I actually use the old viewer with the new Calibre version. For this, I unchecked all file formats in the internal viewer preferences. Then I downloaded Calibre Portable 3.48 and associated the ebook formats with its viewer. Now, when I have Calibre 4.0 open and click on a format, it opens in the old viewer.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #48
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
- Is there a discussion somewhere I could read about why the reader makes up a cover image now?
The question was raised here.

Quote:
I'd expect it to use the Calibre metadata cover when there isn't one in the file.
In my case, calibre is generating a cover based on metadata, but it isn't using the settings on the Edit Metadata dialog.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #49
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I actually use the old viewer with the new Calibre version. For this, I unchecked all file formats in the internal viewer preferences. Then I downloaded Calibre Portable 3.48 and associated the ebook formats with its viewer. Now, when I have Calibre 4.0 open and click on a format, it opens in the old viewer.
I installed calibre 4.o, 32 bit in win 10 so I could see what everyone was talking about while not disturbing my 64 bit Calibre 3.48. When I am running the 32 bit, 4.0 and click on ePub in book details then the book opens in the new viewer. When I right click on ePub in book details and then then select “open ePub with”, then I select “The Calibre e book viewer and it opens in the old Calibre viewer.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #50
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Two minor points on the v4.0 reader:

- Is there a discussion somewhere I could read about why the reader makes up a cover image now? I'd turn that off if there was an option for it. Failing that, I'd expect it to use the Calibre metadata cover when there isn't one in the file.

- Hotkeys Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-W (in windows) used to both close the viewer, now they don't.
@JimmXinu - there's some discussion about covers in Beta testing calibre 4 starting on page 21 at post 312.

I'd prefer nothing, but I've settled for a fixed cover from the built-in Generate Cover (Silver Blocks). I wouldn't want the cover from the library, given I use the Modify plugin to rip them off the epubs

I had the old viewer set to quit on Escape.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@JimmXinu: the viewer is designed with the assumption of a cover existing. If there isn't one, then it will generate one. If you wish it to use the cover set in calibre you will need to embed it using the embed metadata tool currently. I suppose I could have it use that cover when launched from the GUI, however, I am reluctant to do so because it then presents a false picture of what is in the book.

And you can assign whatever shortcuts you want to quit int he viewer preferences. I should probably add back Ctrl-Q as a default.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

And you can assign whatever shortcuts you want to quit int he viewer preferences. I should probably add back Ctrl-Q as a default.
Actually I dont think I did add a shortcut for quit, will add one for next release.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #53
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Actually I dont think I did add a shortcut for quit, will add one for next release.
I came here to report that I couldn't figure out how to add in Ctrl-Q/quit shortcuts, but you're way ahead of me there. Thanks!

One other thing: hyperlinks to particular IDs within files seem broken (both for regular links and Table of Contents links). This means in bigger documents, the TOC is only navigating me to the general file referenced and not the specific location in the file.

That is, in a setup like this:
Code:
<a href="../Text/SomeFile.xhtml#GoHere">Go to Location</a>

... [Many lines of text]

<h4 id="GoHere">Here's a Location</h4>
clicking on "Go to Location" takes me to the top of SomeFile.xhtml, not to the "Here's a Location" header.

These are books that worked fine in 3.x (and work on my various ebook readers, Moon+, etc), FWIW.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:51 PM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@sjfan links are working fine for me. Note that in pagd mode in both the new viewer and the old a link will only take you to the page that has the target, not the actual location within the page. You might want to use flow mode instead (under page layout in the viewer preferences)
Old 10-05-2019, 02:23 AM   #55
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
@JimmXinu: the viewer is designed with the assumption of a cover existing. If there isn't one, then it will generate one. If you wish it to use the cover set in calibre you will need to embed it using the embed metadata tool currently. I suppose I could have it use that cover when launched from the GUI, however, I am reluctant to do so because it then presents a false picture of what is in the book.

The Ctrl-w would be nice as well. I tried looking over the short-cuts yesterday but didn't find anything.

Couldn't you also add an option not to show any cover if there isn't a cover in the epub-file? Perhaps a tweak or something?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #56
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just tried to do that, but Calibre does not let you associate another viewer. You have to let windows handle it, and in windows I want the ebook files associated with the main Calibre program, not with a viewer.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:48 AM   #57
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ok, after the update to 4.0, everything is fine except I do not like the new viewer:

I really want a scroll bar

The table of contents does not seem to work in flow mode. When I click on a chapter, I no longer go to that chapter. I'm using flow mode in the page layout settings. If I use paged mode the table of contents works, but I'd prefer to use flow mode.

Just an annoyance: When I select a paragraph and click Inspector, in the inspector/elements window I do not get the part I have selected, but the whole HTML of the file, collapsed?
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:18 AM   #58
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by db105 View Post
I really want a scroll bar
It will be added soon, as Kovid already stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db105 View Post
The table of contents does not seem to work in flow mode. When I click on a chapter, I no longer go to that chapter. I'm using flow mode in the page layout settings. If I use paged mode the table of contents works, but I'd prefer to use flow mode.
I can reproduce it here either:

1) Flow mode
2) Ctrl + T to open TOC
3) Clicking on a link only opens the file/chapter, but does not go to the specified location (the 'id').
4) This happens for other links to, not just the TOC.

Windows 10 1903 x64, calibre x64, epub files.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #59
marcolino
marcolino began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
Same problem of blank ebook viewer; win 7
Downgrading to 3.38
Hope this will be fixed, Calibre is great software for me
marcolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #60
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I really want an option where I can disable the auto-generated cover. If I don't have it in the epub, I don't see why Calibre has to auto-generate one for me.

I use Calibre to download fanfiction and I rarely add cover to the epubs, because it takes up too much space. Why do I have to have one created I never asked for?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote