Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Frontlit or Non-Frontlit E-Readers?
I prefer Frontlit E-Readers 102 87.18%
I prefer E-Readers without a Frontlight 15 12.82%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #61
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It does support wake covers. Amazon sells an official one here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8HXNG4/

Reckon you need to buy a new case as the magnet sensors are likely in a different location from the older models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Maybe the new Kindle uses two sensors (top and bottom) like the Paperwhite 4.
It wakes up when I put it on top of my iPad Smart Cover. So sensors are placed differently. Still wish I could turn them off as I don’t plan to get a case for it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #62
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Not reading in bed, it's just something i don't use, i prefer to turn the light on in the room, rather than on the reader.
Even at low levels i found it a bit unnatural, removing the paper experience
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #63
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
With, absolutely. No more problems of sitting in your own shadow while reading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #64
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I agree that they probably have re-positioned the magnet. With a thin, removable picture hanger (felted fabric) which I attached to the top inside of my older PW cover, my new slightly shorter and thinner PW fits just fine, but is not triggered by opening. That's actually a plus for me as a few times I found it turned on by jostling around in my shoulder bag.
eta: 'it' being my old one...
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #65
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Prefer to read without a light blasting in my eyes so seldom use the light on those readers I have that have one, however it can be useful ln some occasions, so question not a yes/no. Those clip on lights are more comfortable than a so called front light (actually a back light in practical terms) but not always with you when needed
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #66
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Prefer to read without a light blasting in my eyes so seldom use the light on those readers I have that have one, however it can be useful ln some occasions, so question not a yes/no. Those clip on lights are more comfortable than a so called front light (actually a back light in practical terms) but not always with you when needed
I tried several clip on lights and did not like any of them.

I like reading with the Kindle Voyage light (which can be dimmed to the point of not blasting eyes, and even too dim to read with).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #67
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I tried several clip on lights and did not like any of them.
Same here. I switch hands and positions while reading so at one point, I always get shadows on the screen.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Why should the light blast in your eyes? Nothing is ever 'blasting' even on my laptops/tablets/phones, let alone e-readers. You can set the light as low as you need.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't like eReaders with a built-in front light because I had trouble with the fonts not "standing out" enough (not enough contrast). They somehow looked like they were "floating" and I kept losing focus. I finally figured out the solution, get darker fonts. I use Deja Vu E-Ink Serif on my front-lit Kindle Paperwhite and Tolinos. But if I had to use the built-in fonts with the Paperwhite I don't think I would like it much. You can "bold" the built-in fonts, but they lose their shape (kind of like reading something produced on a typewriter where the keys haven't been cleaned out in a while — for those old enough to remember typewriters). Now that I've got a good, clear, dark font, I almost always use the Tolino Shine or Vision or the Kindle Paperwhite. It's probably an issue with my eyes, but the built-in fonts with front-lit readers just don't work for me. Too light.
Which Paperwhite do you have? If you have a 300DPI Paperwhite, then the added weight will look a lot better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Sony 700 was, AFAIR, the first ereader with a builtin frontlight. From the one sample I saw, it was a great example of how not to implement a frontlight. I've attached an old image from Gizmodo as an example of just how bad it was.
But the 700 was even worse without the light on. The screen was just awful. The touch layer and then the light layer. Just ghastly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which Paperwhite do you have? If you have a 300DPI Paperwhite, then the added weight will look a lot better.
I have the Paperwhite 2, so 212 dpi E-Carta. Deja Vu Serif E-Ink and Constantia both look good on it, so I'm happy. I think I've figured out that the font issue is with my "Send to Kindle" documents. Looks like my old Kindles will have a use after all. I've got a lot a lot of reference material on the Send-to-Kindle documents. It's a bit frustrating to have so much trouble getting to it. (Once I get my old Kindle back up here, I'll download to Calibre and then convert to ePub. Ironically, it looks like I'll probably have to use my Tolino to read my Send to Kindle documents if I want a front light.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-22-2019 at 10:42 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I could not vote because I use a tablet to read eBooks. I would have voted for backlit if it was available.
Apache
+1

Reading in low room light is my normal reading....particularly Autumn-Spring (I live near Chicago).

I keep waiting for eInk to become so cheap that I'll buy one "just because"...but it's hard to spend $150 bucks or so to solve a problem I don't have (read outside in bright sunlight, be free of plugging the device in at night).

But I'd DEFINITELY demand one that is front lit.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #73
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
+1

Reading in low room light is my normal reading....particularly Autumn-Spring (I live near Chicago).

I keep waiting for eInk to become so cheap that I'll buy one "just because"...but it's hard to spend $150 bucks or so to solve a problem I don't have (read outside in bright sunlight, be free of plugging the device in at night).

But I'd DEFINITELY demand one that is front lit.
So what about $89? (or you could wait and get it for much cheaper at one of the periodic sales) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLPWYB7

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #74
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So what about $89? (or you could wait and get it for much cheaper at one of the periodic sales) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLPWYB7

Shari
Getting closer. I have an iPad mini, Walmart tablet, Fire HD 8....so it’s hard to justify buying another reading device. I bought the latter two tablets for $60ish
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #75
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I used to wear a headlamp, Petzl, for reading in the dark or in restaurants who thought one candle per table was adequate lighting. I remember meeting friends at a restaurant, a couple, and when I put on my headlamp to read the menu the wife ordered me to take it off.

"I can't see the menu."
"You look like an idiot."
"I don't care."
"I demand you take that thing off." I whipped out a 3x5 index card and started writing. "What are you writing?" she demanded to know.

I held the card up and read, "Reason #186 I don't have a wife."

I like frontlit readers and if the light were to be too bright, I'm bright enough to turn it down. Now that I read Kindles, only one room in my house has lights bright enough to read by and it isn't the room where I sleep.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote