Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Resize internal windows 3.30

I installed some time ago version 3.30 (the latest at that time) on a W10 tablet.
Although I "locked" the screen rotation, one software I ran in parallel to Calibre or Windows itself I don't know, switched the screen in top mode - and Calibre resized the ePub edit window accordingly.

However, after restoring the wide mode, I noticed the file browser is 1cm wide, similar for the preview while the actual editor occupied the bulk of the screen.
It appears that sometimes Calibre "saves" the positions/sizes, but most of the times it doesn't, and even if it saved once the next reopening reverts back to 1cm wide file broswer and stuff.

I cannot find any solution in the forum (searched with google inside), only info that refer to the parent window/s.

Is there any "locking-in-place" solution for the delimiters?

Thanks
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre always remembers last used sizes, if you want to clear out previously remembered values you can go into the calibre config directory and remove the file tweak_book_gui.json which is where they are saved (but be-aware that contains other settings as well, so best to make a backup first)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply.

Funily enough: after I searched the web after this particular config file, I found the following thread which describes the same effect (one of them, probably not the same cause), also the visual appearance is identical, as in the image below (taken from that thread).

Old 01-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
About this issue above, sometimes it happens to me. I don't know the exact steps to reproduce it, but it oftens happen when I save a book and close the Editor with the search pannel opened. Then, the next time I open the Editor again, the central pannel takes most of the screen, narrowing the side docks.

I've seen this mentioned before here on the forum, and what was said is that the search pannel requires a minimal width when it is launched, so if the central pannel is narrower than that minimal value, it will stretch, destorting your setup.

Is this correct, @Kovid?
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The scenario would be if you open the find/replace panel, make the window larger and then quit. When re-opening the editor if it does not remember window size (which can happen if the OS overrides the remembered size) the window could open smaller than what it was when it closed, in which case the central panel will become relatively wider because of the search panel.
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 02:31 AM   #6
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
I've seen this mentioned before here on the forum, and what was said is that the search pannel requires a minimal width when it is launched, so if the central pannel is narrower than that minimal value, it will stretch, destorting your setup.
After searching in google for the keywords of these threads mentioned here, I managed to get yet another 2 which IMHO relate to the same problem, namely:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=260050
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255670
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=244861
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=270097
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=244823

Since the function of saving the layout already exists (because it is used at every exit), why not a fourth button: save current layout? If the *.json file is corrupted, the Restore defaults would fail anyway I think.
Just a thought....
Old 01-31-2019, 05:09 AM   #7
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The scenario would be if you open the find/replace panel, make the window larger and then quit. When re-opening the editor if it does not remember window size (which can happen if the OS overrides the remembered size) the window could open smaller than what it was when it closed, in which case the central panel will become relatively wider because of the search panel.
Kovid,

About the size and position of a plugin dock widget. Is it possible to calibre remember the last state?
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre simply calls Qt's saveState/restoreState functions. These are supposed to remeber the sizes and layouts of all dock widgets.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
These are supposed to remeber the sizes and layouts of all dock widgets.
Well, it remembers them wrong (maybe another process overwrites the variables, directly or over memory overlapping).
Old 10-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Well, it remembers them wrong (maybe another process overwrites the variables, directly or over memory overlapping).
They become wrong because you did something different from when they were saved:
1) Different number / placement /resolution of screens (monitors). Very common with Laptop users.

2) 2 instances of the particular widget were open. The wrong one wrote last.

3) 'Cleaner' aps , removing stored settings

4) Firewalls blocking the Saving of settings
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
They become wrong because you did something different from when they were saved:
1) Different number / placement /resolution of screens (monitors). Very common with Laptop users.

2) 2 instances of the particular widget were open. The wrong one wrote last.

3) 'Cleaner' aps , removing stored settings

4) Firewalls blocking the Saving of settings
Strange, I'm doing none of this kind.
I have only one monitor.
I only use a calibre at a time.
I do not use cleaners or orhter such utilities
I do not have any antivirus or firewall, for my computer is, was and will be never connected to internet.

It simply reverts to some predefined values. Maybe these could be changed so anything "wrong" happens the result will be "right".

PS: when I was long time part of the support stuff, almost every single issue we had to solve for our customers was related to the skeleton we built our application, imported from a very well-known backthen software foundry (and damn expensive, too). We had to redirect a lot of man-hours from the develeopment to bugs-finding and designing workarounds. We might have had written our own foundation classes, but this wisdom came too late.

Tags
calibre 3.30, win10, window resizing