Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #616
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
With the MacOS Catalina release and the end of 32-bit apps, are there any options for Mac users, apart from staying with MacOS High Sierra and Kindle for Mac 1.17. Obviously 1.17 will not work with Catalina as it only allows 64-bit apps.

Has anybody tested with Catalina and which version of Kindle for Mac works?

I heard there were still a lot of issues with it and won't be looking to upgrade for while yet, if I do decide to update.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #617
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
With the MacOS Catalina release and the end of 32-bit apps, are there any options for Mac users, apart from staying with MacOS High Sierra and Kindle for Mac 1.17. Obviously 1.17 will not work with Catalina as it only allows 64-bit apps.

Has anybody tested with Catalina and which version of Kindle for Mac works?

I heard there were still a lot of issues with it and won't be looking to upgrade for while yet, if I do decide to update.

Inukami
Yes, Method 2 works for me under macOS Mojave and continues to work after the upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Details:
  1. I created a new installation of macOS Mojave yesterday on an external drive. I then installed Calibre 4.1.0, Kindle 1.17, the KFX Input plugin and Alf's tools 6.6.3. I confimed that everything worked as expected.
  2. I then installed Kindle 1.23 and followed the instructions for Method 2. I cleared the Kindle downloads, redownloaded a few books (by right-clicking and selecting 'Download') and dropped them into Calibre where they were readable. I then installed Kindle 1.26.1, repeated the chmod -x command and downloads and confirmed that redownloaded books were again readable.
  3. I then upgraded to macOS Catalina, again cleared the Kindle downloads, redownloaded a few books and dropped them into Calibre where they were readable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chrisparker; 10-09-2019 at 08:37 AM.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #618
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
Yes, Method 2 works for me under macOS Mojave and continues to work after the upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Details:
  1. I created a new installation of macOS Mojave yesterday on an external drive. I then installed Calibre 4.1.0, Kindle 1.17, the KFX Input plugin and Alf's tools 6.6.3. I confimed that everything worked as expected.
  2. I then installed Kindle 1.23 and followed the instructions for Method 2. I cleared the Kindle downloads, redownloaded a few books (by right-clicking and selecting 'Download') and dropped them into Calibre where they were readable. I then installed Kindle 1.26.1, repeated the chmod -x command and downloads and confirmed that redownloaded books were again readable.
  3. I then upgraded to macOS Catalina, again cleared the Kindle downloads, redownloaded a few books and dropped them into Calibre where they were readable.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. It helps but a few questions:
  1. In the first post, it says if using Method 2, you need to use additional instructions if using the latest version of Kindle for Mac. What are those additional instructions (maybe the post needs to be updated?)
  2. Amazon lists the most recent version of Kindle for Mac as 1.23 but if you go into the App Store you get version 1.26. Are they different? How are they different?
  3. In the App Store application version 1.26, do collection sync with iPad/iPhone? I can see collections, but not sure if they sync. Obviously 1.17 does not sync collections...
  4. Sorry I have never upgraded as easier dealing with 1.17, and wondering what else is different in these versions to 1.17...Do collections sync? Does it show KU books? Are the files put into individual folders instead all in one folder like 1.17?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #619
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
1. The additional instructions are posted here.

3. I used direct downloads of the macOS Kindle app. I don't know what the differences are in the App Store version.

4. Files go into individual folders - can't answer the other questions.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #620
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
@chrisparker — This is excellent! Thank you so much for sharing your results. I will update my post shortly so that all the instructions are in one place. (I haven't had a chance to play with Catalina yet, and probably won't have time for at least another week.) Kudos & Karma to you!

P.S. It shouldn't be necessary to start with 1.17. As long as you have a working version of 1.23 BEFORE you update to Catalina, it should work. The problem is if your Catalina setup ever breaks, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to fix it because you can't go back to 1.23 and start over.

P.P.S. IMPORTANT: I'm 99% sure that if you have direct download version of 1.23 then go to the App Store for 1.26 or vice versa, Alf will not work as the versions are slightly different (for reasons I can't go into on this forum). It's best to always use the direct download version K4Mac and update through the app (under Preferences, turn on automatic updates). It may also work to use the App Store version and update through the App Store, but this is not a scenario I test. Most important is not to switch back and forth between direct download version and app store version as that will likely break things. Also once it's working in Catalina, do not ever unregister K4Mac.

I know I'm treading close to the line where I'm providing too much detail, if I haven't already crossed it. Moderators, please delete or modify if I've gone too far (and apologies if I've done so). Thanks!

Last edited by odamizu; 10-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #621
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Details:

Hope this helps.
I'm trying to work up enough courage to try this before updating to Catalina. But I'm puzzled about the download instructions. When I've bought a book and opened Kindle for Mac, it automatically downloads the book to the Kindle library. Calibre automatically picks it up from that folder and adds it to my Calibre library. I don't see anything in any Kindle for Mac menus that allows me to change this behavior so that I can control the download of the book.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #622
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I'm trying to work up enough courage to try this before updating to Catalina. But I'm puzzled about the download instructions. When I've bought a book and opened Kindle for Mac, it automatically downloads the book to the Kindle library. Calibre automatically picks it up from that folder and adds it to my Calibre library. I don't see anything in any Kindle for Mac menus that allows me to change this behavior so that I can control the download of the book.

Jim
You probably have K4Mac set as your default device, which is triggering the automatic download.

If you log into your Amazon account and go to "Your Content and Devices" > "Devices", you can select another device to be your Default Device. Then new purchases shouldn't automatically download to K4Mac (but will then automatically download to the new Default Device).

Or, on K4Mac, you can simply remove the download then re-download it whenever you want. Go to Library > Downloaded then right-click on a book and select "Remove from Device". Then go back to All and and right-click Download without double-clicking on the book.

I don't have Calibre set to automatically pick up anything in my Kindle folder, so I'm not sure how that works. If you remove a book downloaded to K4Mac then re-download it, will Calibre automatically pick up the re-downloaded book so you have 2 copies in Calibre? I don't know.

If you decide to update to Catalina, make sure you've got K4Mac 1.26.1 working on Mojave (or whatever macOS you're on) before updating to Catalina!!!
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #623
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I set my Kindle Default Device to the Cloud Reader. That way books don't automatically go anywhere. Then I can just download where I want when I'm ready.

I think you'd still be OK as long as you don't open them in Kindle for Mac. But I'm on Windows so I can't really say.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #624
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
You probably have K4Mac set as your default device, which is triggering the automatic download.

If you log into your Amazon account and go to "Your Content and Devices" > "Devices", you can select another device to be your Default Device. Then new purchases shouldn't automatically download to K4Mac (but will then automatically download to the new Default Device).

Or, on K4Mac, you can simply remove the download then re-download it whenever you want. Go to Library > Downloaded then right-click on a book and select "Remove from Device". Then go back to All and and right-click Download without double-clicking on the book.

I don't have Calibre set to automatically pick up anything in my Kindle folder, so I'm not sure how that works. If you remove a book downloaded to K4Mac then re-download it, will Calibre automatically pick up the re-downloaded book so you have 2 copies in Calibre? I don't know.

If you decide to update to Catalina, make sure you've got K4Mac 1.26.1 working on Mojave (or whatever macOS you're on) before updating to Catalina!!!
Thanks for such a comprehensive answer to my question. Very helpful. I followed the instructions and am able to get a useable download file from K4Mac 1.26.1.

Catalina took forever to install, but once installed the K4Mac 1.26.1 works with Calibre just fine.

I think I'm probably going to use Method 3 for downloading my books as it's a bit easier. But it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #625
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
... Catalina took forever to install, but once installed the K4Mac 1.26.1 works with Calibre just fine.

I think I'm probably going to use Method 3 for downloading my books as it's a bit easier. But it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.
Excellent! I'm thrilled that we're seeing multiple success stories of 1.26.1 working successfully with Alf on Catalina.

Just be extremely careful never to de-register K4Mac as that will likely break things, then you won't be able to roll back to 1.23.1 to get it working again.

Method 3 is my preferred download method as well, but I like having a backup plan, too
Old 10-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #626
net-buoy
Enthusiast
net-buoy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Clarifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Just clarifying that if you had things working on High Sierra, for example, before upgrading to Catalina, changing to Kindle 1.26 should work?
Is there any reason to fear upgrading from 6.6.1 to 6.6.3 after you have upgraded to Catalina?
The method recitation initially called for removal of all books in the users Kindle directory - Is this necessary, or on;y needed with respect to subsequently adding any of the pre-existing books back to calibre?
net-buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #627
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by net-buoy View Post
Just clarifying that if you had things working on High Sierra, for example, before upgrading to Catalina, changing to Kindle 1.26 should work?
Is there any reason to fear upgrading from 6.6.1 to 6.6.3 after you have upgraded to Catalina?
You may want to upgrade the Kindle app and DeDRM plugin and get everything working before you upgrade the OS.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #628
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by net-buoy View Post
For the best chance of success, you need to have a working combination of K4Mac 1.26.1 and Alf before updating to Catalina. (There are mixed reports as to whether the Alf standalone app works on Catalina; there doesn't seem to be any problem with the Calibre plugin.)

If you try to update to 1.26.1 after you're on Catalina, it may not work and then you will be stuck because 1.23.1 is 32-bit and won't run on Catalina, so you can't roll back and try again.

Quote:
Yes. It's best to update everything before upgrading to Catalina. It's especially important not to touch K4Mac after you've upgraded to Catalina.

Quote:
The method recitation initially called for removal of all books in the users Kindle directory - Is this necessary, or on;y needed with respect to subsequently adding any of the pre-existing books back to calibre?
I'm not sure what you're referring to. You should only have to remove books from your Kindle library if you have KCR or KFX — in which case, remove the books and re-download (without opening) to get KF8/AZW3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You may want to upgrade the Kindle app and DeDRM plugin and get everything working before you upgrade the OS.
I would say "must" rather than "may" if you want to maximize chances of success

Last edited by odamizu; 10-24-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:38 AM   #629
mjart
mjart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis
I'm really glad you were able to get catalina to work, however, it has been a disaster for me. I will admit i am not computer savvy and understand about a quarter of what is said on this site, but I have spent the last week almost every day on the phone with apple support and have followed their directions to the tee, and ended up with a completely stripped computer with NO operating system and all my apps gone, most of which are not re-installable. The main problem I had with catalina was my apps would open but none of the tabs in the apps would, including calibre. So beware! I think the upgrade has quite a few bugs. I went back to mojave, and if I ever get my apps re-installed, things might work again. One can only hope!
mjart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #630
Pameliasue
Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pameliasue knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-950, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I'm running macOS 10.14.5

I have been on Kindle 1.23.1 and have had everything running smoothly with Calibre 4.1 (and today's update of 4.2 worked too). I have Alf's 6.6.3 Calibre plugin working as well and have had no issues downloading KF8/AZW3 files with this set up.

I decided to see if I could get things working with Kindle 1.26.1 before attempting to update to Catalina and so far everything is working as it should. I ran chmod -x and am still downloading KF8/AZW3 files with the right-click download option.

However, I now get an error code every time I close/quit K4Mac. "Kindle quit unexpectedly." It has a long list under the Problem Details which is total Greek to me.

I decided to re-download 1.26.1 fresh from amazon's website and reinstalled 1.26.1 and am still get the same error code, though aside from this issue upon quitting the Kindle app things seem to be working.

Anyone else run into this? Did you figure out the issue?

I am hesitant to move forward with installing Catalina at this point.
Pameliasue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc