Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #3751
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover1019 View Post
Hey, Jim, I noticed something kinda odd. Wattpad seems to be listed both as supported and "not likely to be supported" in the GitHub page on supported sites: https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFa...Supportedsites

So, which is it?
It is supported now. Another developer contributed support for it a few years after that comment was put in the wiki. I've updated it now.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #3752
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version Posted

2019-10-15
- Treat spacebattles /post/ URLs in emails the same as sufficientvelocity to avoid extra URLs in thread notifications.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #3753
MCBastos
MCBastos began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 4
Quote:
I have not found an epub viewer I really love anywhere. EBookDroid on my phone was moderately good until they changed the fonts to infinitesimal, though it was always weird that it insists on displaying italics as yellow highlighter. I do wish Calibre would let me convert my other epub books to singlepage HTML in an easy click, rather than having to explode each book and manually compile the HTML. Mind, being able to explode the book at all is awesome.
For reading on the computer, I tend to prefer HTML too. But on my Android phone, I have used Aldiko for years and I'm mostly happy with it. I even bough the Pro version back when it was a perpetual license. Although I can't really recommend it anymore due to the change in monetization policy: the new owners now only sell "subscriptions" for the Pro features. That's why I'm unwilling to upgrade to the new version, too, since I would lose those Pro features I paid for... but back when I was evaluating epub readers, I noticed a couple that were almost as good as Aldiko. Anybody knows what happened to Mantano Reader, for instance? One of these days I'll have to do a new evaluation, before my old, unmaintained version of Aldiko Pro becomes untenable....

Anyway, for converting epub into HTML... have you tried converting to HTMLZ first, and then just unzipping it? HTMLZ is pretty much what you want, only packed in a zip file with a changed extension.
MCBastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #3754
Chrystalline
Chrystalline began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBastos View Post
have you tried converting to HTMLZ first, and then just unzipping it?
Oh! No, I hadn't, because I assumed that, being a zip, it would be multiple html files just like the epub. That works for almost all of my epubs (the ones that have no pictures I care about), thank you! Now the only books I can't put into Calibre are the comics, because I use numbered image files and they have to be unzipped to work in my photo viewer.
Chrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #3755
catlover1019
catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystalline View Post
Oh! No, I hadn't, because I assumed that, being a zip, it would be multiple html files just like the epub. That works for almost all of my epubs (the ones that have no pictures I care about), thank you! Now the only books I can't put into Calibre are the comics, because I use numbered image files and they have to be unzipped to work in my photo viewer.
I think I have good news for you. Calibre supports CBZ which is literally just a zip file containing image files in alphabetical order. Just change the extension from .zip to .cbz, and your comics should work.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Edit: I think I understand what you mean now. They'd have to be zipped for calibre, but unzipped for the other way you use them. Personally, I have plenty of storage space, and don't mind data-redundancy, so I'd just have both, but I understand why that might not be an option for you. There are good cbz viewers out there for both Android and desktop OSes. I personally like Perfect Viewer on Android, and I'd probably just use Calibre on desktop because it does the job.

Last edited by catlover1019; 10-19-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Realized something
catlover1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #3756
watani
watani began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I'm encountering a bug where some books are never recognized as up-to-date with the update mode set to "Overwrite if Newer". Even if you just downloaded/updated one of these books, attempting to update it through FanFicFare will fully re-download the book instead of immediately stating after retrieving the metadata that the book doesn't need to be updated because the website isn't newer.

I've narrowed it down to almost all of my books in my library from archiveofourown.org and fimfiction.net that were updated in the current year (2019). Older books from those websites and all books from fanfiction.net, spacebattles.com and royalroad.com don't have any problems.

Here are two example fanfics where this is occurring, one from each website:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/17960324
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/426519/

The metadata for each problematic book shows the latest packaging date under Date correctly. Deleting a problematic book entirely and redownloading it using FanFicFare doesn't fix the problem, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling Calibre.

I've tested both Calibre v4.1.0 and v4.2.0 on Windows 10 and I'm using the latest stable release of FanFicFare.

Last edited by watani; 10-19-2019 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Reordered phrasing for clarity
watani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:01 AM   #3757
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watani View Post
I'm encountering a bug where some books are never recognized as up-to-date with the update mode set to "Overwrite if Newer". ...
I admit that I don't test the "Overwrite if Newer" functionality very often--I use "Update EPUB if New Chapters" and then convert to azw3 for Kindle and I recommend that everybody else downloads to EPUB also.

That said, I cannot duplicate your issue. I downloaded those two, then tried "Overwrite if Newer" both by URL and on the existing book with background metadata on and off. All versions worked as intended.

Which leaves me with only speculations for now:

Are the Updated Date metadata showing up correctly for you in those books?

Is the system clock on your computer correct?

It will give me more to work with if you can try it again while running Calibre in debug mode (Calibre Preferences dropdown) using "Overwrite if Newer" and without FFF Background Metadata, then post the debug for me to see. (I suggest nested spoiler and code tags for logs.)
Old 10-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #3758
watani

To answer your two questions:

1) Yes, both the "Date" field under the Calibre metadata GUI and the Updated field in the title page generated by FFF show the correct date

2) Yes, my system clock is correct

That said, after a computer reboot I can no longer reproduce the issue either for the books in question except that many of them needed one update each before FFF would properly detect that they didn't need to be updated. The common thread between the books that still need one update is that the packaged file date and last update site date are the same (see multiple instances in attached log).

As for the original issue, best guess is that this was a Calibre issue where the metadata became temporarily unreadable to FFF in a way that didn't produce visible errors. Earlier that day a separate problem I had was that Calibre was significantly struggling to update any book using FFF. During that time FFF metadata reading took anywhere from 1-5 minutes and downloading from various websites either was extremely slow or never completed (with each job getting 6 processes in task manager that used almost no CPU). After a reboot Calibre seemed to be working fine except for the aforementioned bug of never recognizing certain books as up-to-date, so it's possible that something happened during that earlier problem which messed up Calibre and needed multiple reboots to fix.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmphyibk2.txt (28.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by watani; 10-20-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #3759
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
To answer your two questions: ...
Okay, at this point you are seeing FFF behaving as intended.

For sites that don't include last updated time (only date), FFF compares only dates and then assumes that if the file date and the updated date are the same on 'overwrite if newer' it should download again. This was added way back when to address the issue of more than one chapter in the same day.

Since you're downloading to epub anyway, I again recommend using 'Update Epub' instead of overwrite to save network hits.

I also refer you to the FAQ on Why shouldn't I just select my entire library and use FanFicFare plugin to check for updates?. I recommend using email notifications instead.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #3760
watani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Okay, at this point you are seeing FFF behaving as intended.
Alright, good to know. Thanks for the quick response.

There's actually another long-running issue that I've come across regarding some fanfiction.net fics that I'm wondering if you can adjust the plugin to account for. It seems that for some works on fanfiction.net, when they're updated the link FFF checks doesn't indicate an update until 20 min to 1 hour later, whereas the alternate version of the link which includes the fic's title shows the new update immediately upon the author's upload.

To give an example:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12009084/1/ (This link took roughly 40 minutes after the update and email notification of the update for the "Updated" time to change and the new chapter couldn't be selected in the drop-down menu before then)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1200908...-Clean-Version (This link immediately indicated the fic had been updated and the new chapter was in the chapter drop-down menu)

This clearly is a bug on fanfiction.net's side, but I was wondering if it's possible for you to adjust FFF to check the latter type of link instead of the former for update status.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #3761
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
There's actually another long-running issue that I've come across regarding some fanfiction.net fics that I'm wondering if you can adjust the plugin to account for.
There's already a setting for that:
Code:
[www.fanfiction.net]
## ffnet used to have a tendency to send out update notices in email
## before all their servers were showing the update on the first
## chapter.  It generates another server request and doesn't seem to
## be needed lately, so now default it to off.
check_next_chapter:false
Add that to your personal.ini set true and FFF will look for one chapter beyond what ffnet tells it is currently available.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #3762
alexeric123
alexeric123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is there a way to force FFF to ignore expired SSL certs?

And i did try the troubleshooting steps on the FAQ, it didnt work for me so im guessing its the sites problem

wuxiaworld.co

Edit: on my phone the site is fine....
So I guess I didnt do something right, I was supposed to just open it in a msoft browser right?

Last edited by alexeric123; 10-22-2019 at 07:40 AM.
alexeric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #3763
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexeric123 View Post
Is there a way to force FFF to ignore expired SSL certs?

And i did try the troubleshooting steps on the FAQ, it didnt work for me so im guessing its the sites problem

wuxiaworld.co

Edit: on my phone the site is fine....
So I guess I didnt do something right, I was supposed to just open it in a msoft browser right?
The error I see is PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR which isn't expired, but something fundamentally misconfigured on their server(s). I suggest you report it to the site owners.

I suspect that you're accessing without https on your phone. FFF is programmed to use https for that site.

If the site is still broken in a few days, I'll change FFF to use http(no s).
Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #3764
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2019-10-22
- Avoid post URLs in XenForo notification emails better.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #3765
alexeric123
alexeric123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It works now, i guess they figured that one out.
alexeric123 is offline   Reply With Quote