Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #46
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Got this up and running pretty easily (haven't actually imported my library or set up the web server yet)

Very quick question before I start going to far on it: how do I update the version of Calibre that is running inside the docker? Maybe I missed something (sorry).

EDIT - found the answer: "If you would like to have the latest updates, change the EDGE variable to "1", and the container will update calibre to the latest version every time it is restarted"

Last edited by spedinfargo; 04-17-2019 at 10:21 AM.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #47
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You are right. Adding EDGE with value 1 in environment tab. Everytime Calibre container starts, it will check for a newer version and update automatically.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #48
dare
dare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Boyue Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Could you clarify more why you want to do that?
I would love to expose the Calibre container through the integrated reverse proxy in order to use it remotely - but then I would need some way of access control.
dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #49
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Is there a way to add simple simple credential challenge for the GUI through the web site? (i.e. the 8080 port)?
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #50
zappa2325
zappa2325 began at the beginning.

Help!!...I've been trying for days to get this working without any success. Please could you help me
zappa2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #51
zappa2325
zappa2325 began at the beginning.

Setting up Calibre on My Synology NAS DS416 Play

Hi There,

Please could you help me. I'm running DSM 6.2.2-24922. I've managed to install docker and docker-rdp-calibre. After that I'm lost. Im not sure what I'm supposed to do with the files at https://github.com/aptalca/docker-rdp-calibre. I went through you screenshot setup guide and managed some of it but then got hopelessy lost.

Any help would be very much appreciated
zappa2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #52
dare
dare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Exclamation Do not upgrade to 4.0!

Just for everyone who has this running: do not upgrade to Calibre 4.0 (or know better than me what you are doing). There are new dependencies and the existing container will not run. I more or less destroyed my setup in trying to fix it.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #53
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare View Post
Just for everyone who has this running: do not upgrade to Calibre 4.0 (or know better than me what you are doing). There are new dependencies and the existing container will not run. I more or less destroyed my setup in trying to fix it.
Thanks. As I set EDGE=1 (to automatically updating it to new version on every container startup), so I'm screwed now. Calibre Management screen went blank (all black) and Calibre library view broken too.

I encountered this unfortunate event in the past with some version too.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #54
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa2325 View Post
Hi There,

Please could you help me. I'm running DSM 6.2.2-24922. I've managed to install docker and docker-rdp-calibre. After that I'm lost. Im not sure what I'm supposed to do with the files at https://github.com/aptalca/docker-rdp-calibre. I went through you screenshot setup guide and managed some of it but then got hopelessy lost.

Any help would be very much appreciated
Sorry. Just notice you have problem setting it up. Have you completed the setup? If not, could you be more specific about the problem?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #55
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thanks. As I set EDGE=1 (to automatically updating it to new version on every container startup), so I'm screwed now. Calibre Management screen went blank (all black) and Calibre library view broken too.

I encountered this unfortunate event in the past with some version too.
Can't you just reinstall the old version? Why are you "screwed"?

Also it may be worth updating the container runtime to use a modern version of Linux so that it meets the minimum requirement of a glibc/gcc combo from the past three years.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:28 AM   #56
bthoven
Evangelist

Can you tell me how to install the older version? The docker downloading image on Synology did not ask for version before downloading.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #57
Venia Legendi
Venia Legendi began at the beginning.

Device: lots of, frequently changing
calibre 4 content server only with linux server docker container

You may use linux server's docker container https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/calibre, see https://blog.linuxserver.io/2019/09/...ur-containers/

A costum script to delete the preconfigured services:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# custom-cont-init.d/delete_services
set -u; set -e
if [ -e "/var/run/s6/etc/services.d/*" ]; then 
	echo [calibre server only] service.d cleaned
	rm -r "/var/run/s6/etc/services.d/*"
else
	echo [calibre server only] service.d was empty
fi
A costum service to start the content server, here with watch for changes on a library
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# custom-services.d/calibre-server

set -u; set -e

export LogDat=/config/calibre-server.log

echo [calibre server only] calibre-server started

export CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_LANG=de
export PIDDat=/config/calibre-server.pid

Datei=/ebooks/eBooks/metadata.db # DB-File to watch for changes

while true; do

Zeit=$(stat -c%Y $Datei) # file change date
	echo "[calibre server only] Watching $Datei $Zeit" 

rm -f $PIDDat 

# see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/generated/en/calibre-server.html
	/usr/bin/calibre-server --pidfile $PIDDat --port 8081 --disable-log-not-found --log $LogDat --max-log-size 2 /ebooks/eBooks &

until [[ -e $PIDDat ]]; do # wait
		sleep 5s
	done
	echo "[calibre server only] Started, PID $(cat $PIDDat)"

until [[ $Zeit -ne  $(stat -c%Y $Datei) ]]; do # Wait for change
		sleep 60s
	done

echo "[calibre server only] Change detected, stopping process" 
	pkill -15 -F $PIDDat
	sleep 5s

until [[ $(pkill -c -F $PIDDat) -eq 0 ]]; do
		echo "[calibre server only] Waiting for process to end"
		sleep 5s
	done

done
Venia Legendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #58
dare

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venia Legendi View Post
Supporting this - I also set up a new container with this image, which is actively maintained.

Steps:
  • Get image from registry
  • Create new container. Adapt settings to your needs:
    • Map volume from your books directory on Synology to anything - in my case inspiringly /books
    • Still in volumes: map somewhere on your Synology files to /config - I put this next to my books directory
    • Set local ports to somewhere not conflicting with everything else, e.g. 8080 to 18080, 8081 to 18081 and son on
    • Set environment variables, e.g. TZ to your timezone, PUID and GUID to the owner of the files and directories of your books (use ls -l to find out)
    • This image has the capability to set a user and password to protect access to Guacamole (the piece of software that acts as a virtual RDP client), enabling you to expose the full Calibre GUI if you are so inclined. Set GUAC_USER and GUAC_PASS as described in the readme accordingly if you want to use it. You need to create this setting before starting the container (or before updating, see below for how).
  • Run the container
  • In your browser, go to the local port you mapped to 8080 on your Diskstation (e.g. 192.168.1.10:18080).
  • On the first run, you can set the directory you mapped your books to (e.g. /books)

This is it to access everything from within your network. But then you would probably not do this in the first place. So if you want to expose Calibre Web and / or the Calibre GUI, use the reverse proxy within the Application Portal. I have just mapped two different subdomains of the domain my Diskstation is running at to the local equivalent (see above) of port 8081 for Calibre Web and 8080 for the GUI (with GUAC_USER and GUAC_PASS set). Personally, I use a wildcard Let's Encrypt certificate to have HTTPS on the incoming side of the proxy, but have not yet found a way to update the certificate without manual intervention.

Anyway, the good thing about LinuxServer.io's image is that it very actively gets regular updates. Updating is easy, but make sure you have mapped /config to some place outside the container (see above) to not lose any settings:
  • Stop your Calibre container.
  • Download the latest image from the registry.
  • Right click on your existing container, select Action - Clear.
  • Once the download has finished, just restart the container.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:11 AM   #59
LexenZ
LexenZ began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Hi Villax,

I've never used synology.me, but have your tried something like this for your url:

http://villax.synology.me:4001 (supposed you have your port mapping as 4001 in calibre docker)

If the above url works, you are ready to go without additional setup. If not, you will have to set up port forwarding in your synology router.

As I do not have Synology router, but I used to consider one, so basically do the following steps:

1. login to your Synology router

2. goto Internet-->Port Forwarding-->Create Portforwarding rule, you will have to fill in:

Private IP address: this is your Synology NAS local/private IP address, which is 192.168.x.x. You have to ensure that your Synology NAS has fixed local IP address, e.g. my NAS address is always 192.168.2.4

Public Port: this is the port number that you will use in your url when you are outside your home, it could be any number, as long as the number has not been used by another port forwarding rule. For me, I use 9001

Private Port: this is the port number to access your Calibre docker when you are at home (usually when at home, I use 4001. This is the same port number you fix for port 8080 of Calibre docker, as mentioned in earlier post)

Protocol: choose tcp/udp

3. create another portforwarding rule for your calibre content server, so that you can use it for your Moonreader+ Net Library url. For me, the public port is 9002 (forwarding to private port 4002)

Once your complete the above, belows are how you use them:
1. to access your calibre full management gui: http://villax.synology.me:9001
2. to access your calibre content server gui: http://villax.synology.me:9002
3. to setup your Moonreader+ net library: http://villax.synology.me:9002/opds

Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Hi Bthoven,

Thanks for the steps above.
However, unlike Villax who got it successfully, i on the other hand is not able to get moonreader pro to detect the public address.
I am using an asus router. And I have configured accordingly as per your quote.

As my synology NAS is not directly connected to the router, it goes through an ancient managed switch. Do i have to fort forward the switches as well? As right now i am only doing it to the router as per your quote.

Let me know if you have any solutions as i am almost reaching success in this solution you had.

Regards
John
LexenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #60
rainfactor
rainfactor began at the beginning.

Device: koobo
Hello,

Sorry for resurecting this old thread. Was wondering if someone point me to the right path. I installed linuxserver-calibre-web1 container on my DSm 1817+. Mapped the already created folder "books" as a volume mounted >> books >>/books. Generated the Calibre db into that folder by pointing the Calibre app to it. I can confirm seeing the db in there. I am navigating to the 192.168.x.x : container port and I am being greeted with the initial setup. I cannot get past it as no matter what I put in the Calibre database path keeps on erroring out "DB location is not valid, please enter correct path". Tried /books tried /volume1/books and many other variations with no success.
Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong. Thank you
rainfactor is offline   Reply With Quote