Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
GarryB123
Enthusiast
GarryB123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a brainwave for the viewer - horizontal scroll bar

When viewing a book using two columns I feel that I am moving through the book horizontally since columns sit left and right of each other. As a result it feels funny to me when the progress scroll bar is oriented vertically; it doesn't match to me.

I'm wondering if you could please Kovid make an option to position the scroll bar at the bottom of the viewer?

A second benefit of a scroll bar at the page bottom is there would be little chance of clicking somewhere in the scroll bar and jumping to a point in the book you don't want to be and finding your way back to where you were prior to the errant click. This mistake is easy to make when the pagination area and the scroll bar are side-by-side.

Thank you for reading!

Please, please ....

Garry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-12_16h17_13.png
Views:	157
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	174197  
GarryB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Good idea

My main 'use' of the scroll bar is to give me a visual indication of how far I am in a book - i.e. for me it's a progress bar - I rarely use it to actually scroll.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryB123 View Post
When viewing a book using two columns I feel that I am moving through the book horizontally since columns sit left and right of each other. As a result it feels funny to me when the progress scroll bar is oriented vertically; it doesn't match to me.

I'm wondering if you could please Kovid make an option to position the scroll bar at the bottom of the viewer?

A second benefit of a scroll bar at the page bottom is there would be little chance of clicking somewhere in the scroll bar and jumping to a point in the book you don't want to be and finding your way back to where you were prior to the errant click. This mistake is easy to make when the pagination area and the scroll bar are side-by-side.

Thank you for reading!

Please, please ....

Garry
I agree.

I mentioned in an earlier post how most readers have horizontal scroll bars and how this matches our usual concept of pages changing horizontally (and pbooks are bound that way). And, as you mention, for 2 column reading, well...

Also mentioned that horizontal mouse movements are easier than vertical ones as vertical requires a whole arm movement but horizontal is just a forearm sweep (and often the case just a wrist movement suffices).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure someday when all the craziness dies down, I dont have the bandwidth for new features right now.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
GarryB123
Enthusiast
GarryB123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure someday when all the craziness dies down, I dont have the bandwidth for new features right now.
Thank you for considering!
GarryB123 is offline   Reply With Quote