Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 02:10 AM   #1
babs_a_lot
babs_a_lot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
So Beyond Confused

Hi i hope im in the right spot with my questions. I have a windows 10 laptop that i have downloaded calibre on. I even got the DRM plugin on made it through the new kindle format input plugin and im feeling pretty proud of myself because i knew not a thing and followed the instructions on an article. ...Now im so beyond confused and ive read so many different things that I'm not sure what my best options are. For anyone responding to my question, i know nothing and just learned how to unzip a file this morning so i wouldn't be able to answer any specific questions unless prompted to where to find the information. Also please talk in simple basic terms, if you are afraid that you are simplifying it too much then that's perfect. I got lost on tech terms which made it worse.
I have no idea what the kindle key for windows is. I can't find it. I don't know how to add it and its the largest hurdle im trying to get over. I thought I had twice but no i still get that warning message about DRM and it makes me want to throw things lol. Also, do i need to tweak anything within the calibre program?
One last question is more curiosity...do you read your ebooks thru calibre or do you have a favorite e-reader? I have converted non-kindle books successfully to epub but i don't know how to open the book in its converted file. for example pdf to epub...i go to open it and it opens as pdf (maybe i shouldn't convert that idk)
thank you so much to anyone taking the time to help me figure this out.
babs_a_lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"Frieda+" is wonderful for EPUBs

[1] Wherever you got your "DRM plugin" is where you need to go for support for it.

[2] Windows 10 app "Frieda+" is wonderful for EPUBs. Highly customizable. I use it on my tiny Win10 tablets running Calibre64. I never use Calibre's Viewer on any PC, including my desktops.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As DaltonST said, we can't discuss DRM removal in detail here. You have to ask on the Apprentice Alf's blog.

As to your other question, I read my books on my e-readers (Kindles, Nook, Kobo) and convert them to the appropriate format. I don't read books on my PC. I do use the Calibre viewer, but only to check the layout and formatting, or sometimes to look something up, not to read (as in from beginning to end).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Same as Sirtel
The PC is for 'previewing' books only to check on conversions and edits.
(I have kindle4PC to give Amazon a place to send book before I let Alf at them )
My real reading is done on e-ink devices, with the Tablet for PDF or color significant material
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@babs_a_lot - I would recommend you watch the videos ==>> Video Tutorials. As a general rule I don't like "How to blah-blah…" videos they take to long to get to the point, but these are an exception.

Watch a segment, pause, go into calibre and practice what you just watched - if you don't 'get it', rewind and repeat before watching next segment. IIRC it took me an hour or more to get through the Grand Tour.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I use Adobe Digital Editions to read ePub files on a laptop. You can find where to download this software by using Google and search for Adobe Digital Editions.

After you get the software installed and have authorized your device, hit ctrl-O to open and load an ePub file into Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Then use the page down key to move to the next page and the page up key to move to the previous page.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
babs_a_lot

you can read on a pc just fine, actually, I bought an 11-inch laptop for that specific purpose. I have a kindle fire, kindle app on my phone and another tablet with an e-reader app on it too. I don't think a pc is just for previewing and it would be a shame not to utilize the device for more than that if you want to. You can use it to preview as you say you do but it shouldn't be said that is the only use. the kindle for windows app I downloaded is actually really nice. My Dell is lightweight and perfect size to set it in my lap and stretch out to read. I don't own a desktop but if I did I would probably read at it also. I don't know if there are specific devices for different file types to view better or not. I keep all my devices in sync and all are capable of viewing all file formats. I've never noticed any difference in viewing between them so idk. I've decided to keep kindle books as they are in my calibre library without worrying about taking alf to them. I have hundreds in my kindle and can't particularly think of reason i absolutely have too. I recently discovered two new free download ebook site that will be my go-to sites for downloads and are in a normal format that I can successfully do with the original plugin. Maybe down the road when there are more hours added to my day or i become less tech incompetent ill revisit this issue. Thank you for taking the time to answer and i do appreciate it! have a good evening
Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
babs_a_lot

Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't realize it was an off-limit topic. That's how I got to this forum. I was reading multiple threads on that exact topic and there was no hiding what they were speaking about. I cant remove the post if needed.
Thanks, I'm glad to get an opinion on Freda. I've read a few articles recommending it and wasn't sure if it was as good as they claim it is (many times I've tried recommended apps and many times I have been less than impressed lol). ill probably go ahead and check it out. thank you for your advice. i do appreciate it and just let me know if i need to delete my thread
Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs_a_lot View Post
Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't realize it was an off-limit topic. That's how I got to this forum. I was reading multiple threads on that exact topic and there was no hiding what they were speaking about. I cant remove the post if needed.
Thanks, I'm glad to get an opinion on Freda. I've read a few articles recommending it and wasn't sure if it was as good as they claim it is (many times I've tried recommended apps and many times I have been less than impressed lol). ill probably go ahead and check it out. thank you for your advice. i do appreciate it and just let me know if i need to delete my thread
We just can't give DETAILED help. Saying Visit Alf is fine
You are fine.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've read ebooks on a wide range of devices for over two decades. My current preference is a dedicated ereader. I still use and older Kindle, a K3 or Kindle Keyboard. There are times, though, when I use my MS Surface Go as a reader. I generally only use it for those few books that I have in PDF format, though since my "antique" Kindle lacks its own illumination I've been using the Surface for proper ebooks (e.g. ePub and the various Amazon formats like AZW3 and MOBI) while my wife & I are in temporary digs (my brother-in-law's house) where there are no good seating locations with decent reading light.

I usually use Freda as my reader on Windows, though I occasionally use BookBazaarReader for PDFs. I keep calibre and the master copy of my calibre library on my Surface and can easily export (read: calibre's Save-to-Disk function) any book to access in Freda, converting to ePub if necessary. Otherwise, I just connect the Kindle and Send-to-Device, again converting to AZW3 if the "master" ebook file is ePub.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs_a_lot View Post
you can read on a pc just fine, actually, I bought an 11-inch laptop for that specific purpose. I have a kindle fire, kindle app on my phone and another tablet with an e-reader app on it too. I don't think a pc is just for previewing and it would be a shame not to utilize the device for more than that if you want to. You can use it to preview as you say you do but it shouldn't be said that is the only use.
Of course one can read on a PC. I personally just prefer not to. It's more comfortable to read on my eink readers. But if you like to read on your laptop and tablet, by all means, go for it!
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote