Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 04:27 AM   #1
idro
idro began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
A calibre custom cover as first page

Hello,

when I import a cbr file inside calibre, it generates a cover in first page before the real cover of book.

You can see it in attachment.

Is there a way to avoid this cover such as it starts with the right cover immediately?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattura.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	174152  
idro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What version of calibre, what operating system, and how are you 'importing'?

I can't make the current version of calibre do that even if I try.

Did you make the CBR yourself or did you buy it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
idro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What version of calibre, what operating system, and how are you 'importing'?

I can't make the current version of calibre do that even if I try.

Did you make the CBR yourself or did you buy it.

BR
The calibre version is 4.1.
The operating system is windows 7.
I just click on add books
I don't know if CBR is bought, I downloaded from a site that is not Amazon.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you open the book on in comic book reader ? If not ask for your money back

BR
Old 10-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
idro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Can you open the book on in comic book reader ? If not ask for your money back

BR
Could you suggest some comic reader?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator

Google 'comic readers for Windows' - I use Honeyview, which is very basic.

BR
Old 10-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Just tried opening a CBR with the calibre viewer in 4.1 and it displays the generated cover as mentioned above. I know this is being done for epubs that don't have an internal cover marked, but, I wouldn't have expected it for a comic. And overall, this version isn't handling the comics I tried very well. There was a blank page between most image and the page resizing was a bit strange. I tried the one in 3.45 portable, and overall, it was a lot smoother.

The solution to both of these problems is to use an dedicated comic reader, but, it jut adds to my overall impression that the new viewer isn't as good as the 3.x version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator

Didn't occur to me that someone would read a comic in calibre's ebook-viewer I assumed from the first post it was creating a generic cover at add time.

Sorry idro, get a comic viewer and uncheck CBR and CBZ in the Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer for: list, make sure the comic book viewer sets itself up as the Windows default for CBR and CBZ files.

BR
Old 10-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
idro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just tried opening a CBR with the calibre viewer in 4.1 and it displays the generated cover as mentioned above. I know this is being done for epubs that don't have an internal cover marked, but, I wouldn't have expected it for a comic. And overall, this version isn't handling the comics I tried very well. There was a blank page between most image and the page resizing was a bit strange. I tried the one in 3.45 portable, and overall, it was a lot smoother.

The solution to both of these problems is to use an dedicated comic reader, but, it jut adds to my overall impression that the new viewer isn't as good as the 3.x version.
I have epub files also and it doesn't generate any other cover of its own...it works good for epub.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idro View Post
I have epub files also and it doesn't generate any other cover of its own...it works good for epub.
I marked the important bit here. I have some books that don't have a cover image. For these, the viewer renders a cover like you show above.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@davidfor: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e372240c2628fa

and the viewer generating a cover for CBX files is because they dont have covers. It's just a convention that the first image is to be regarded as a cover. Still I can probably have the viewer follow that convention for comics, since it is pretty universal.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That works. Except for the books I opened yesterday. They were of course the ones I tried. Is there a way to clear the cache? It is rebuilt if the book changes, but, in this case, I need something else to do it. Or, will there be a version check so that the cached version is rebuilt if opened with a newer calibre version. Though that would mean work done when there have been no relevant changes in the code.
Quote:
and the viewer generating a cover for CBX files is because they dont have covers. It's just a convention that the first image is to be regarded as a cover. Still I can probably have the viewer follow that convention for comics, since it is pretty universal.
It does seem to be the de-facto standard. And, I would have expected the cover to be generated in the same way as pressing the set-cover-from-book button in the metadata editor.

But, I have to admit I don't understand the need for this cover to be generated when opening any book. It came as a complete surprise when I opened my first book. To me this is not displaying the book that I have stored but something else. It could be the timing. I think that if it had been displayed while the book was being rendered, I would have thought it was a good idea.

The other problem is that what is displayed doesn't always agree with what is in the library as the cover. That is jarring and just seems wrong.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:01 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use reload book in the viewer controls to reload the book. And the code has th eability to invalidate caches on code changes (not version changes), but I use it sparingly, since it invalidates all caches, imposing large performance penlties on everybody. In the case of comics, I dont think it is worth it, since the calibre viewer is not really designed for comics, in fact IIRC by default calibre does not even open comics in the internal viewer.

The cover being different betwen what is in the library and what is in the book, has always been the case unless you do polish/embed metadataconversion after changing the cover inthe library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's just a convention that the first image is to be regarded as a cover.
Please Kovid, please: Make the false cover optional.
Please.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Please Kovid, please: Make the false cover optional.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ - +1

BR