Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #31
Dimsok
Dimsok began at the beginning.

Device: PC
There is new Sigil version for XP which does work for me. That means QT5 can work on XP? If so why to force ban to install it. Maybe someone can make Calibre version for XP like Sigil. The most wanted feature which i miss in 2.0 is export to docx
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsok View Post
There is new Sigil version for XP which does work for me. That means QT5 can work on XP? If so why to force ban to install it. Maybe someone can make Calibre version for XP like Sigil. The most wanted feature which i miss in 2.0 is export to docx
Because there is a high percentage of XP systems where it DOES NOT work.
Those alone, create a support nightmare. KISS say disable XP

BTW XP also runs on CPU's without SSE2, another fail. At least thos bomb immediately. The QT5 thing waits to dump you on you rump (just when you thought you were home free )
Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsok View Post
Because, once again, Qt5 upstream is not supported on Windows XP and is known to crash.
Additionally, many older 32-bit WinXP systems don't have hardware support for SSE2, which means you'd need to distribute an additional version of calibre using a custom-built Qt5 compiled without SSE2 and at that point things simply get ridiculous.

And I was unaware that Sigil officially supported XP.
Some people were successfully running calibre by disabling the version check (as explained in the first post), others merely got crashes. I assume even if Sigil doesn't have a version check it will still crash for some people if they are still using WinXP...
Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those alone, create a support nightmare. KISS say disable XP

Calibre has 3+ million active users, anyone want to hazard a guess at Sigil's active user count - I doubt it would be 10% of that, probably closer to 1%.

At some stage one has to draw lines in the sand. There's not only the SSE2 and Qt compatibility issues, continued support for defunct operating systems can get in the way of embracing the features offered by current and future operating systems.

BR
Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
At some stage one has to draw lines in the sand. There's not only the SSE2 and Qt compatibility issues, continued support for defunct operating systems can get in the way of embracing the features offered by current and future operating systems.

BR
Case in point: earlier in this thread, Kovid explained that one of the new features in 2.x (open with) relies on APIs which aren't available in Windows XP.
Someone was having trouble with overriding the version check, because calibre still kept crashing on that.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #36
Dimsok

I have installed the last portable version on XP, and command-line converted does work, convert to docx, what impossible for 2.0 version, which does work on Win XP. That means i can use any command line tools of last versions on XP without any restrictions or there are something what will not be working?
Old 05-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

... What?

The command-line anything works just as well as the GUI anything.
If it is available in calibre 1.48, it is available on Windows XP.

Note that conversion to DOCX first appeared in calibre v2.28.0 which is long after XP support was dropped.
Have you been trying to get the source checkout for calibre >= v2.28.0 working on Windows XP (which would be something relevant to this thread)?
Old 05-15-2016, 02:49 AM   #38
Dimsok

Quote:
Note that conversion to DOCX first appeared in calibre v2.28.0
I know so i wonder why i can success with it on Windows XP which unsupport versions after 2.0. Command line things work, just gui doesn't. If you didn't understand i have said that i did try conversion to docx via cmd and did with success.
Quote:
If it is available in calibre 1.48, it is available on Windows XP
(2.0 works pretty good on it).
Old 05-15-2016, 02:56 AM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Okay. So what's your question?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The reason you cannot use Calibre past 2.0 with Windows XP is that a lot of XP installs are on hardware not capable of running Calibre 2.x and sometimes it's due to XP itself. So instead of having a support nightmare for those where Calibre 2.x won't run properly, it was decided not to allow Calibre 2.x to run under XP. If your hardware is capable of running Calibre 2.x, the way to be able to use Calibre past 2.0 is to upgrade to Windows 7 or later.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There are also various levels of 'Will Run' on XP. Total Bomb-out (can't start...No SSE2, crashes during common tasks, crashes only if you do 'X')
(I have:
1 @ that does the 3rd type using Calibre 2.0, and it is slow, even with 2G RAM, 800MHz FSB
1 @ in the first group; an AMD Athelon XP
)

Many XP machines are also too weak by current standards (low RAM, Wimpy CPU, Simple video)

I support Kovids decision to no longer compromise Calibre rich set off features just to make it run on antique systems

And I support the Wolfs recommendation of (skipping Vista) W7 for XP users (closer to the XP UI than W8 or W10 right out of the box , for non- power users)
Old 05-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing though, Given that most XP users are running 32-bit, your best best in upgrading is to move to 64-bit as there are cases where Calibre does need to be 64-bit and if you stay with 32-bit, you will still be ram limited to 3GB.

Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit means starting over. So backup all the data from XP that you need/want to keep and then do the install. You will have to reinstall all of your software so find the install files or CDs/DVDs. If some of your installs is from downloaded software and there is a 64-bit version you will want that.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #43
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
Looking for a Way to Save This (Bookmark) for Future Reference ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
When calibre version 2.0.0 was released, it was transitioned over to a new graphical toolkit, Qt5. Qt no longer supports Windows XP (and neither does Microsoft, so there is little hope of anything changing).

As a result, the latest version of calibre to work on Windows XP is calibre 1.48. If you want to run calibre on Windows XP, you have a few options:
  1. Install version 1.48 (download it HERE) -- yes it is an old version, but it still works just fine, doesn't it. It hasn't magically stopped doing what it used to do just because there is a newer version.
    This is the official recommendation, as suggested on the calibre website.
  2. Insist on running the latest version anyway. Yeah, Qt isn't supported. Yeah, it might crash horribly. But it *might* work, people *have* reported success. As long as your processor supports the SSE2 instruction set, you may very well get lucky.
    You must run from source -- the calibre developers will not support this.calibre 2.x will now run -- whether it works remains to be seen. Good luck.
  3. Trying to run the new version is too risky, but the old version is broken!
    Do you have a Kobo H2O, the driver for which appeared post-calibre2.x? If so, try this plugin, or run from source as described above, but with my backports described HERE. The backports can and will work to fix other breakage, e.g. Amazon website changes for metadata download. The plugin is just for the Kobo.
  4. Upgrade your computer. Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP, not even for security vulnerabilities. Okay, they did anyway. But we can safely assume it won't happen again.
    • For a few hundred dollars you can get a brand-new computer that runs Windows 7/8 and does everything you need it to do, with up-to-date software -- that includes running the latest version of calibre.
    • I don't have the money/I don't want to spend the money on a new computer, my old one works fine no matter what Micro$oft thinks!
      Rather than upgrading the hardware, maybe you can upgrade the OSware? Linux is free, and runs fine on old hardware -- even if your computer isn't compatible with Windows 7/8, you can still run a modern operating system. You can even run both linux and Windows XP on the same computer.
      Popular choices of linux distribution for linux newbies include Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I suggest the latter -- it has a friendlier desktop and is closer to the experience one would expect coming from a Windows environment.
      Installing linux is fairly easy -- all you need to do is burn a disk image to a USB drive and reboot your computer -- and be good at following (clear) directions.

Future Reference ... Save in My Favorites List
Old 01-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont feed the troll.

@UltraGod and your sock puppets: calibre is not going to support windows xp. You can rant and rave and call me all the names you want, that is not going to change. I suggest you stop posting before your latest sock puppet gets banned as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
calibre 2.x, qt5, windows xp