Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Is there a way to get Metadata search and replace to follow its directions?

So I'm trying to take the prefixes from my titles, copy them to a new prefix column, and eventually remove them from the titles. Yes, that's complex. So I'm doing this one small step a... no! no! why???

And this being Calibre there's no undo option.

I had listed:

"Search Field"

"Search For" with the prefix to search for, and its variations (different numbers)

"Replace With" with the same prefix to paste

"Destination Field" #prefix

It just took every title, and copied every title onto the prefix column. In some cases, I'd manually copied the prefixes into the field, and removed them from the titles, and lost that work... and lost my references too...

Is there some way to get it to pay attention to the search functions?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, there's the result indicator, but I ignored that because (1) I did not intend any change in the source field in this step, and (2) it was only showing results that the search would not pick up, so it wasn't showing anything relevant.
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru

Also, trying to at least remove the prefixes from the titles where it's already copied everything. But in 4.23, regex search an replace doesn't seem to allow users to replace the searched-for phrase with nothing.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
search (for_to_be_discarded_value) (.+?)
(pass1copy to field) \1

(pass2 title) replace \2

You capture what you want to keep (and use that for the replace)
Pass 1 sets puts your vale into the target
Pass 2 cleans up the title
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

Sorry, how would you do that? I don't see any scripting options under "Search and Replace" in 4.23.
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Sorry, how would you do that? I don't see any scripting options under "Search and Replace" in 4.23.
saved Searches.
Set it up once, (target and \1 save it as Pass 1
edit the view (change the target to Title and set to \2 ) save it as Pass 2
Old 10-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You need to use The Search and Replace feature of the Bulk mode of the Metadata editor
Old 10-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

I've been using it, it's been going haywire.

If I use *Character Mode* I can't use [0-9] for numbers in a series, and I can't copy the relevant value to #prefix, but I can delete the relevant value from title by replacing it with nothing.

If I use *Regex Mode*, I can use [0-9], and I can't copy the relevant value but can accidentally copy all of every single title to #prefix whether it fits the search or not, and I can't delete the relevant value from title.

P.S. If I don't have any numbers in sequence, I can use bulk + Custom Columns to paste a common code, then Bulk Search and Replace to remove the matching code from Title.

Last edited by MarjaE; 10-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Tags
metadata