Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 04-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
georgehuang
Enthusiast
georgehuang began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook, iPhone, Kindle Paperwhite
Feature request: search panel with results preview for Content Server

I am sure this must have already been in Kovid's development plan, but Content Server's browser reader have a rather simple search tool comparing to Calibre's native E-book viewer. In Content Server's search, there is not a separated panel for the results, which makes it lack the ability to show previews. To find results, one will have to go through all results one by one, and there is no way to go back to last position when searching is done. I think search is an important and frequently used tool for any serious reader, so here I am to let Kovid know that I am looking forward to its implementation.

To be clear, here are 2 screenshots to show the difference between Calibre's native viewer and Content Server's:

Spoiler:

georgehuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The problem is side panels dont really work on small form factor screens, which is what the browser viewer is designed for. Someday I may make it an expandable floating panel, but that has the bad effect of covering part of the text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
georgehuang
Enthusiast

On smaller screens such as a mobile phone, I think it is OK to use the whole screen to display search results as long as the user can get back to the last position easy enough. Otherwise there really isn't enough space for neither the search results nor the text. I guess that is why most mobile reader apps actually expand their search panel to the whole screen. For a larger screen, I agree side panels are preferable.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, hence it would be expandable so people can choose whether to use the full panel or not.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
georgehuang
Enthusiast

Sounds great. I actually prefer floating panel than sliding side panel even in a larger screen. The problem with sliding panel is toggling it might change the width of the book, which makes it difficult to find where I was before the search.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
georgehuang
Enthusiast

Just upgraded to 5.18.0 and found the new search interface. Love it!

After using it for a while, I found myself constantly hitting the "Back" function in the menu trying to jump back to the position before searching, but that usually took me out of the book to the home screen. Instead, I would have to go to the search interface and hit "Return" to successfully jump back. I found it a bit confusing and counterintuitive because the "Back" button works well with Table of Contents and Highlights. Is it not possible or difficult to integrate search with that button?
Old 05-23-2021, 10:36 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not really a fan of the back button for this. Say you browse two or three results, you would need to hit back multiple times to return to the original position.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
georgehuang
Enthusiast

I see. You are right. A way to jump back to the original position is preferable. But would not it be useful if implemented both ways? So that one can jump back to the original, and also jump back and forth between multiple search results?

Last edited by georgehuang; 05-24-2021 at 09:49 AM. Reason: A second thought

Tags
calibre, content server, search, viewer