Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Infrastructure questions between K Voyage and Paperwhite

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 1st gen Kindle fire and going back to an e reader. I think I like the Amazon environment best of all, I don't really use the Fire as anything but an ebook reader, anyway. But I've got some questions. If you guys would answer them, I'd appreciate it.
  1. Is there ever a time when the mono screen can't handle the graphics reasonably well? (Was a problem with my older Sony's - maps and photos esp)
  2. Do the Readers still use that obnoxious Carousel?
  3. Does the increased pixel density (PPI) of the Voyage make is significantly superior to the Paperwhite?
  4. Is the difference in the built in lighting significant (adaptive light sensor)?
  5. With planning ahead, I don't think I NEED the 3G capability, and it does add weight and $50 (USD) to the cost. Do you consider it an essential item?
  6. I see the readers come with a USB cable only, for charging. Can I use any USB charger (wall or auto) and get acceptable results?
  7. Can non amazon books be sideloaded onto these devices? (With proper mobi conversion, of course)

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 05-12-2015 at 09:43 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Question 1 - I have no idea, I've never had an issue with pictures in a book but I don't see many.

Question 2 - I've had a kindle ereader since the Kindle Keyboard and they have never used a Carousel, that's only the Fires and yes they still have them.

Question 3 - Yes I think the pixel density (PPI) of the Voyage makes a difference and is better than the PW2.

Question 4 - I use the adaptive lighting sensor on the Voyage and think it's a great addition to the functionality.

Question 5 - 3G is nice to have but not really essential as long as you have wifi at home, or where you plan to load your books.

Question 6 - Yes you can use any micro USB to charge and to load books via USB.

Question 7- Yes non amazon books be sideloaded via either using USB (I use it with calibre) or by emailing direct to your kindles email address (or using Amazons software Send to Kindle which you download to your PC)
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Glen, no eInk Kindle has ever had a Carousel. They use a library screen which is either a list of book covers or (my personal preference) a textual listing of titles and authors.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-12-2015 at 11:37 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Question 5 - 3G is nice to have but not really essential as long as you have wifi at home, or where you plan to load your books.
Before I had a smartphone, the 3G on my KK got a lot of use. I'd check email, look stuff up, etc. With a smart phone, I can't imagine bothering with it. If I ever need that kind of connectivity on my Kindle, I could use my phone as a hotspot and connect a wifi Kindle. But I can see how some people with certain use cases would get value. I'd think you'd know if you were one of them.

Quote:
Question 6 - Yes you can use any micro USB to charge and to load books via USB.
"Any" charger as long as it supplies sufficient current, of course.

Quote:
Question 7- Yes non amazon books be sideloaded via either using USB (I use it with calibre) or by emailing direct to your kindles email address (or using Amazons software Send to Kindle which you download to your PC)
I believe you can also still sideload by downloading files using the 'experimental' browser, yes? E.g. via Calibre's content server, or by just downloading right from PG, or an author's website, like my KK can?

Last edited by ApK; 05-12-2015 at 11:41 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
"Any" charger as long as it supplies sufficient current power, of course.
The Kindle charges fine from a standard 5W (5V @1A) USB charger. It doesn't need a higher-power charger like most tablets do. I've certainly never come across a USB charger that won't charge an eInk Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The KK could use the 3G for browsing/email/stuff, but people abused it... so now the 3G is limited on newer devices to Kindle Store use as well as the proxied Wiki/translations ACXs (old devices still work but are capped at 50MB/month).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The KK could use the 3G for browsing/email/stuff, but people abused it... so now the 3G is limited on newer devices to Kindle Store use as well as the proxied Wiki/translations ACXs (old devices still work but are capped at 50MB/month).
So the 3G is quite a bit less useful now, unless you just do a lot of impulse ebook purchasing from Amazon.
But it's more open when using wifi, right? You could download mobi and az3 files right to the device when on wifi, including when connected to a cellular hotspot.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Correct. WiFi is not restricted -- just the Amazon-supplied 3G is filtered.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I think you've gotten good answers to your questions here--just wanted to point out that 3g adds $70 to the US price of either the PW or the Voyage (not $50 as you mentioned).
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #10
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Voyage!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Before I had a smartphone, the 3G on my KK got a lot of use. I'd check email, look stuff up, etc. With a smart phone, I can't imagine bothering with it. If I ever need that kind of connectivity on my Kindle, I could use my phone as a hotspot and connect a wifi Kindle. But I can see how some people with certain use cases would get value. I'd think you'd know if you were one of them.

"Any" charger as long as it supplies sufficient current, of course.

I believe you can also still sideload by downloading files using the 'experimental' browser, yes? E.g. via Calibre's content server, or by just downloading right from PG, or an author's website, like my KK can?
I believe you can sideload using the browser but I've only ever tried with Dropbox and I could never get it to work properly.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I think you'll love the Voyage. I've had one since last fall -- I love it. I bought a Kindle Fire HD 7 a few weeks ago, and returned it in 2 days. Not my cuppa tea, and had no advantages for me.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I totally agree with Deb. I have my Kindle Paperwhite 1 and my Kindle Voyage and my Nexus 5 cell phone. I need a tablet like a sports car needs a winch.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #14
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have an IPhone 5s so I do use my Nexus 7 instead of a computer when I travel. And I also have in the past used my kindle app on the tablet for reading. I know that I still will at times but I plan to read on the PW2 a lot more than on the tablet from now on.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
1. Is there ever a time when the mono screen can't handle the graphics reasonably well? (Was a problem with my older Sony's - maps and photos esp)
It's not that the Kindles cannot handle graphics well enough. It's a problem with low resolution images such as maps because the PW has a higher resolution and the Voyage has an even higher resolution. So some graphics can be too small to be clearly visible and when you have graphics such as a map where you also have text, it's not good. This is not a problem of the Kindles but a problem that the publishers have no clue how to properly produce eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote