Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Looking for iOS audiobook app with "shake" function

I used to use the Ambling Pro player, and I loved it. They went under and the app stopped working when iOS went to version 11. I've been searching for a good replacement ever since.

The feature I liked most on Ambling, that I used every night, was a "shake" to add time to the sleep timer when it expired. One of the apps I've been using, MP3 Books, does not have the feature. The other, Bookmobile, seems to have the feature in the settings, but it hasn't worked in the few months that I've been using it (I sent an email to the developer just today to ask about it).

Another feature that I really like is a history, that shows when an audiobook has been started, stopped, and its location. The MP3 Books app has it, but it's kind of flaky to use. Bookmobile does not have this feature, and the interface is really weird, I am having a hard time getting used to it.

I just tried Bookplayer, it's very basic. It does not have a "shake" option. I also tried GreenLit, I added an audiobook via iTunes, and it made each MP3 file its own book, which isn't helpful.

Anybody use an iOS app that has a functioning "shake" to add to the sleep timer?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Can't say that I've seen that feature, thought it's possible that I just haven't looked for it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's really nice to have if you haven't fallen asleep. The Ambling app would play a chime about ten seconds before the timer was up, and you could shake the phone to reset it, vs. having to wake the screen to reset it while in bed. I've asked Audible multiple times if they could implement this feature in their app.

I haven't heard back from the Bookmobile developer yet.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
The timer on bookmobile works, but shaking on my iPad 3 to extend time does not work.

On my iPhone 6s it kinda works! Just shaking you phone (until it works) will certainly wake you up.

Last edited by mariosipad; 05-02-2018 at 05:51 PM.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
I'm looking at audiobook players at the moment also. My ipod 5gh gen that still does audiobook playlists in music is showing it's age.

During my search i ran across Undulib. I haven's purchased it but it does mention in a review that it has "shake to extend sleep timer".

I've been trying to use Bookmobile but every time I attempt to play from the playlist it let me create it crashes and doesn't come back. Pretty useless for all the work you have to do to create the playlist.

Good luck on your quest.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
I'm looking at audiobook players at the moment also. My ipod 5gh gen that still does audiobook playlists in music is showing it's age.

During my search i ran across Undulib. I haven's purchased it but it does mention in a review that it has "shake to extend sleep timer".

I've been trying to use Bookmobile but every time I attempt to play from the playlist it let me create it crashes and doesn't come back. Pretty useless for all the work you have to do to create the playlist.

Good luck on your quest.
I had the same issue with Bookmobile, which is why I'm still converting my audiobooks to mp3 and putting them in a iTunes playlist for the car and playing them via the music app. Not perfect, but it more or less works as long as I remember to pause before stopping the car and hold my mouth right.

I mostly use the audible app elsewhere since I'm not as concerned with the issue of keeping my eyes on the road and not looking at my iPhone while driving when I'm not in the car. I have used iBooks and used the manual order feature, but that always seems to get munged up each time I sync. One fine day, Apple might get around to normalizing how audiobooks are handled on the Mac verses how it's handled on iOS devices. But hey, it's only been a couple of years since they moved audiobooks to iBooks on iOS, I'm sure they will get around to it eventually. It's not like Apple has a lot of spare cash lying around to be spent on programming or anything. (is there an emoticon for sarcasm/snark?)
Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
(is there an emoticon for sarcasm/snark?)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks