Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #16
ms.moodster
ms.moodster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Post Can't install custom dictionaries

Hi!

I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I've followed every step explained in the main post to install custom dictionaries without having to replace the original ones and I haven't managed to make it work. I thought I may ask for suggestions as to why do you think this might be happening.

I do get the dictionaries to show on the dictionary list, but I keep getting this message on the main languages and dictionaries menu:

22 dictionary downloads pending; sync to install.

None of them show when I try to search, be it on a book or through the dictionary tab on the search menu. It says "you don't have a Extra:_(name of the dictionary) installed"

Any tips or suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? My device is a Kobo Aura and it is running on the last software available, with the patches mentioned in the thread included.

Thanks!
ms.moodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #17
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
On the off chance that you are unable to get the extra dictionaries working with the Kobo firmware, you might want to look into installing Koreader on your Kobo and adding dictionaries to it.

Although I'm not very technologically savvy, I found the process for installing Koreader was fairly straightforward. And installing dictionaries was quite easy.

So, now, I split my reading between the kobo firmware and Koreader, depending on what language I'm reading in and what dictionaries I wish to use. It's quite easy to switch between the two.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 05:16 AM   #18
ms.moodster
ms.moodster began at the beginning.

Thanks for the info!

I might try that just to see how KoReader works, I've heard good things.

As for the dictionaries not showing up, I finally figured it out. I had the patch that changes the string "dichtml" to "micthtml" enabled, and that's what was causing the error. I set it to "no" and updated and all the dictionaries appeared as they should.

Just in case someone else is having this same issue, remember to disable that patch before using this method.
ms.moodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #19
Rico223
Rico223 began at the beginning.

I'm trying to add the custom Latin to English and the Webster's 1913 dictionaries to my Kobo Aura.

What app is best used to properly edit the Kobo eReader.conf? Edit: I found that WordPad works well.

When adding the dictionaries to the KoboReader.sqlite using Sqlite Manager plugin for Mozilla Firefox how does one determine the bytes to place in option box for Size (TEXT) should be? Edit: In performing search of the forum I found that byte size refers to the byte size of the dictionary file itself.

Last edited by Rico223; 06-18-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Rico223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #20
Rico223
Rico223 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipcat View Post
In the same way I tried to change "Extra: " to "Extra::" and now searches from main menu to Extra dictionary are ok ;-)
pipcat, how specifically did you manage to change "Extra: " to "Extra::"?

The libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch file doesn't say where to replace "Extra: " with "Extra:_" ?

Last edited by Rico223; 06-18-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Rico223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #21
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico223 View Post
pipcat, how specifically did you manage to change "Extra: " to "Extra::"?

The libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch file doesn't say where to replace "Extra: " with "Extra:_" ?
There is only one occurence of the string "Extra::" (=`\0E\0x\0t\0r\0a\0:\0\x20`). Therefore, no further reference is needed for the patch program (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch is an input file for a certain patch program, see this thread). If you want to replace the string manually with a hex editor, be aware that there is a zero byte in front of each printable character.

Last edited by tshering; 06-18-2017 at 08:24 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #22
kristetoo
kristetoo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo hd glo
Hey everybody.
I have troubles installing Penelope and I have no clue how to get my dictionary. Maybe somebody is willing to help and send me a ready file to put in kobo? I need English-Lithuanian dictionary.
Please...
kristetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #23
sparcina
sparcina began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
[QUOTE=Robik;3294025]1. Adding a new language to Kobo.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=44

Add an "ExtraLocales=(iso 639-1 language code)" in the file eReader.conf

You have a new language on the list.
[URL=http://www.imagic.pl/files/view/29150/eksiazki/screen_001.jpg]

Hi there! How to do you add the extralocales in the .conf thingy? I can't open .conf stuff; is there a software for this? Thanks!
sparcina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #24
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcina View Post
I can't open .conf stuff; is there a software for this? Thanks!
The .conf file is just a text file with a fancy extension. But you have to be careful: since it uses linux style line endings, you can't use Windows notepad without damaging the file. A text editor such as Notepad++ will automatically take care of the line endings. Wordpad might work, too. If you're using Linux every text editor will work. Not sure about the best software for macOS.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #25
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
It's possible that the libnickel patch `Allow searches on Extra dictionaries` doesn't work for the latest firmware 4.8.10956.
You can still replace the space after "Extra:" with the patch but the "Extra:_" in front of the dictionary name is not shown anymore when you look up a word from an epub. Instead of e.g. "Extra:_da - English" now "Dansk - English" is shown in the drop-down menu (depends on what you used as name in the database). However, as soon as you choose it, the name changes to "English - English" and the well-known error message is shown: "You don't have an English dictionary installed." (the same as on an unpatched system).
In addition, the additional dictionary languages are now also shown if there's no corresponding "ExtraLocales" entry in Kobo.conf.

Update: It seems to work if the name of the dictionary in the database is changed from "Dansk - English" to "Extra:_da - English". Thanks to jackie_w for this workaround!

Last edited by taos; 04-25-2018 at 02:32 AM.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #26
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Update: It seems to work if the name of the dictionary in the database is changed from "Dansk - English" to "Extra:_da - English". Thanks to jackie_w for this workaround!
Have you tested this workaround with 4.8.11073, too? Since I updated from 4.4.9344 to 4.8.11073 I have had no success in getting the dictionaries working again. Even when I call one exactly like you did ("Extra:_da - English") it still throws the error "You don't have an English dictionary installed".

Is there anything else you changed? Have you also adjusted the names of the dictionary files and or the Kobo eReader.conf?

Thanks for your help and any hints!
Pesche

(Bloody forced firmware "upgrades" - I simply wanted to synchronize my Pocketbook articles, and now everything is ruined )

Edit: Figured it out The two characters after Extra:_ must correspond to the suffix and the letters defined in "ExtraLocales" in "Kobo eReader.conf". Apparently, stuff like en-de1 no longer works. I replaced it with d1. Sticking to two letter codes that are identical in the suffix and db column of the database and in the config file seems to have done the trick

Last edited by spitfire_ch; 09-15-2018 at 07:06 PM.
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:38 AM   #27
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
Have you tested this workaround with 4.8.11073, too? Since I updated from 4.4.9344 to 4.8.11073 I have had no success in getting the dictionaries working again. Even when I call one exactly like you did ("Extra:_da - English") it still throws the error "You don't have an English dictionary installed".

Is there anything else you changed? Have you also adjusted the names of the dictionary files and or the Kobo eReader.conf?

Thanks for your help and any hints!
Pesche

(Bloody forced firmware "upgrades" - I simply wanted to synchronize my Pocketbook articles, and now everything is ruined )

Edit: Figured it out The two characters after Extra:_ must correspond to the suffix and the letters defined in "ExtraLocales" in "Kobo eReader.conf". Apparently, stuff like en-de1 no longer works. I replaced it with d1. Sticking to two letter codes that are identical in the suffix and db column of the database and in the config file seems to have done the trick
I recommend you to read carefully the following post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...20&postcount=1

I have done it in this way, and my new dictionaries are there after several updates of the fw.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #28
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
I recommend you to read carefully the following post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...20&postcount=1

I have done it in this way, and my new dictionaries are there after several updates of the fw.
Great, thanks a lot for this link! I haven't found that one yesterday when googling - would have saved me a lot of pain (and will so in future)
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #29
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
You are welcome!.
Thank you to the detailed explanation from Surquizu, I was able to have the dictionaries working, so I am happy it has also helped you.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #30
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
In earlier firmware versions my self produced dutch-german dictionary was working perfectly. But now the Kobo Reader doesn't recognize it anymore. The filename is dicthtml-nl-de.zip.
Has anyone an idea what the problem is?
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, kobo, languages