Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
and you have the strength of 10 Alf's plus 2!
So where's the freshly carved roast beast?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #32
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
A big thanks to all the Alf team.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nice update! Although I have never had/noticed the problem myself (running Arch Linux).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #34
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
One reason I do not mind having to jump through a few extra hoops to get the free goodies from Alf and yourself.
Thank you for your efforts.
Apache
Yes, I don't mind a couple extra clicks either. I look at it as a small barrier to entry for those who shouldn't be messing with the tools anyway. If you can't follow (or just don't bother to read) the instructions to download the tools, then you probably won't be able to follow the instructions to use them either.

Thanks to Alf and friends! I'm currently caught up enough not to have any large batches to import. But I'm really happy to know I can upgrade from calibre 2.9 and not have a problem with that.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #35
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I knew I was being an ingrate. My apologies and thanks to those who developed these.
Apologies are your prerogative but I appreciate your comment. It led to some informative replies.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Alf seems to have posted a new version of the tools, 6.1.0...

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #37
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Do you have to avoid the latest ADE for them to work ... CAN you avoid the latest?
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth79 View Post
Do you have to avoid the latest ADE for them to work ... CAN you avoid the latest?
I'm still at 1.7.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #39
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth79 View Post
I don't think the latest ADE is currently using the hardened drm - it can be turned on or off by the seller. I am using 2.0 and if that becomes unavailable or unusable it will be Amazon only for me.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #40
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Don't enable javascript in Firefox and you won't see the extras

I am surprised that Alf would suggest you enable javascript prior to clicking on the download link. Disabling javascript in Firefox prevents all of the extras from getting in the way. I only see the one download button and get the zip file when I click that button.

As a side note I would be more concerned with the wordpress site Alf's blog is hosted on. Wordpress sites have been notorious for having vulnerabilities (194 CVEs, 9 in November) which can lead to infected machines. I did not find anything concerning on Alf's blog site but I am always on guard when visiting any wordpress based site. Hence I always disable javascript for wordpress sites.
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #41
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Thanks for the update

As to the download site: use Adblock Plus with the biggest EasyList (and maybe FlashBlock). This will disable or kill 90%+ of all crap on the internet. Just remember to whitelist sites you often visit which just show ads, but don't try to drop malware.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #42
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Does anyone have any idea if the calibre plugin will still work on B / N purchases? This is one personal purchase that is killing me
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #43
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've always been a strong proponent of Adblock for the download site.

But... for some reason, just recently, the download site is not being fixed by Adblock. I tried refreshing the filters, and I have the main four (which always purified that page in the past).

Also, disabling javascript appears to does nothing but make the download button disappear.

I can duplicate this in Chrome and Firefox.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-22-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I've always been a strong proponent of Adblock for the download site.

But... for some reason, just recently, the download site is not being fixed by Adblock. I tried refreshing the filters, and I have the main four (which always purified that page in the past).

Also, disabling javascript appears to do nothing but make the download button disappear.

I can duplicate this in Chrome and Firefox.
Ad Block Plus comes with enabling "acceptable ads". There is a way in Firefox to disable this.

Firefox: CTRL+SHIFT+F; it should be at the bottom of the dialog
Chrome/Opera: right-click on the Adblock Plus icon and select "Options"; it should be at the bottom of the dialog
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I wouldn't have thought this to be an "acceptable ad", and I was right, it isn't.

It seems that whatever the page used to be like, now it uses javascript to inject the download button onto the page, and to mark the download manager option. Same script, so I am not sure how you'd block it, either.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-22-2014 at 10:23 PM.