Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Latest update turns kobo to brick

I bought a book last night and when I synced via wifi the latest software update was downloaded and asked me if I wanted to install. I did and watched as it began the update and then the screen went blank (black with only a ghost outline of the update text).

I have tried to reboot (blue light and then nothing), tried the pinhole, tried to do a factory reset (pinhole plus slider), tried plugging it into my computer (light turns green but I can't see the kobo as a drive), tried charging the kobo with a wall charger (light turns green and no difference no matter how long I leave it.)

Anyone have any suggestions?
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Which Kobo device? The ones with lights and the ones without have slightly differrent Factory Reset methods. You list a Kobo original, and I would not expect that that device should have had an update.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
I bought a book last night and when I synced via wifi the latest software update was downloaded and asked me if I wanted to install. I did and watched as it began the update and then the screen went blank (black with only a ghost outline of the update text).

I have tried to reboot (blue light and then nothing), tried the pinhole, tried to do a factory reset (pinhole plus slider), tried plugging it into my computer (light turns green but I can't see the kobo as a drive), tried charging the kobo with a wall charger (light turns green and no difference no matter how long I leave it.)

Anyone have any suggestions?
Going by the KT listed under your devices, I'd guess you have a Kobo Touch. The factory reset for the Touch can be done in a couple of ways.

Hold the power slider in the off position for 15 seconds. Release the power slider, hold the home button and slide the power slider to turn the unit on. After the LED comes on, hold the home button until the LED starts discoing (flashing rapidly). The screen should let you know a reset is in progress.

Alternative is hold the power slider in off position for 15 seconds. Release the power slider. Press and hold the home button. While doing this, use a paper clip to press the reset button. Once the LED comes on, hold the home button until the LED starts discoing.

Good luck!
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Voyage, PW4
What about for a Kobo Glo? Mine is stuck on the smiley face screen. I side loaded the update.

Be still my heart, it just flipped to the new home screen. *phew*

Last edited by booklover6; 06-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
What about for a Kobo Glo? Mine is stuck on the smiley face screen. I side loaded the update.

Be still my heart, it just flipped to the new home screen. *phew*
If you ever need it, Glo factory reset is the same as the Touch but you hold the light button instead of the home button.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Voyage, PW4
Thanks, David, I would have never known that!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Reason for first long hold of power button is to make sure frozen reader that is on is turned off. Sometimes repeating full procedure a 2nd time is required.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you ever need it, Glo factory reset is the same as the Touch but you hold the light button instead of the home button.

Regards,
David
And with the Mini, you hold down the pin re-set as it has neither a home button or a light.

The basic format is:
  • Long pull/push on the thing that turns the device off.
  • Release of on/off
  • Hold down of "thing" #2, which would be light button, home button, or pin reset while
  • Turning the device on.

Last edited by taming; 06-18-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: I cannot spell worth a darn
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a Kobo Touch (my original Kobo has no wifi) and nothing seems to be able to bring it back. I have a feeling it might be the battery since it seems to not be holding a charge any more.

I like my Kobos but am a bit disappointed that this one did not last two years. Add that to the one I gave at Christmas as a gift which died six months later I am starting to question the quality control.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What reset approaches have you tried?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What reset approaches have you tried?
All of them- every combination of slider,pinhole, home button pushing listed above and elsewhere on the forum. The device is not recognized when I plug it into the computer (tried two different computers and different cords with no success).

The screen is black and while I can get the light at the top to blink blue when I try to restart and it is green when I plug into a USB port (or my wall charger). That is the only sign of life I have seen since I dl'd the update.

Any suggestions? My next thought is to take it apart...
Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What had worked for me when nothing else did was to hold power switch over for 20 seconds to ensure it was powered off, then with a pin in the hole, hold the home button and then power the unit on.

At this point I started to see the led flash and saw the unit enter recovery mode.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Charge it, just to make sure, hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and perform the reset by holding the paperclip in, the home button in, and holding the switch for 5-10 seconds while watching the display and LED. Rinse and repeat if you do not see a change.

If the battery has been run down a recovery is not going to happen, charge it fully first.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Charge it, just to make sure, hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and perform the reset by holding the paperclip in, the home button in, and holding the switch for 5-10 seconds while watching the display and LED. Rinse and repeat if you do not see a change.

If the battery has been run down a recovery is not going to happen, charge it fully first.
Tried it twice with no results. The screen remains blank. Thanks for the suggestions but it seems that whatever happened during the update has bricked it completely...
Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Minitrue
Minitrue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
First post here as I stumbled across this forum as my Kobo Touch has done exactly the same!

Went to update it last night and everything went blank and nothing since Search the internet far and wide to find all the possible ways to reset it (combinations using the reset button, home button, power button, computer) and still nothing. Only bit of live is the green button while charging and the blue when it attempts to do something.

I have contacted Kobo by email as mine is 15 months old so out of warranty where I bought it. It's a shame that their own software has bricked their own device! Hopefully Kobo will be able to help me out.
Minitrue is offline   Reply With Quote