Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
If the color of the text is defined on CSS, calibre Editor will not override it, doesn't matter if in Dark Mode or no.
Many books have colors set for text (and background in some cases). In this case, there might be CSS rules for white background and gray text.
A good way to avoid this problem is to use "color: inherit". This way, text will adapt from black to white when activating Dark Mode.
I did say it's something to do with the CSS. That's why I suggested changing the link color to yellow as it's readable on the dark background. Most eBooks do not use color for the main text and if any do, then it's a poorly made eBook. I have seen things like color used for chapter titles and a dropcop or raised cap. But for the main text, that has to stay cuncolored.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When is the next version of Calibre coming out? The change to the editor to make preview dark is awful and makes it hard to use. One person said he had a problem with the background being light. I have a problem with the background being dark.
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When is the next version of Calibre coming out? The change to the editor to make preview dark is awful and makes it hard to use. One person said he had a problem with the background being light. I have a problem with the background being dark.
Calibre usually comes out on alternate Fridays.

I preferred the light background. Honestly if there was an option to make the entire editor light but keep Calibre itself in dark theme I'd do that. But that's not an option.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Calibre usually comes out on alternate Fridays.

I preferred the light background. Honestly if there was an option to make the entire editor light but keep Calibre itself in dark theme I'd do that. But that's not an option.
An option to cha3nge the preview background was added. I expected a new Calibre to come out yesterday as that is the alternate Friday from what 4.22 was released.

The person who complained about the preview not being dark was wrong. The preview is hard to use in dark and to ruin it for everyone else because of one person (IMHO) was very wrong.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #20
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I can't see links on the dark background because they're dark blue.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I can't see links on the dark background because they're dark blue.
I also find because the background is dark and the frame is the same dark that it makes the spacing look off.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #22
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
We're just going to have to be patient until v4.23 arrives.

If you don't want to wait then running calibre from source, as described in the User Manual, is always an option to get it quicker.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:37 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
We're just going to have to be patient until v4.23 arrives.

If you don't want to wait then running calibre from source, as described in the User Manual, is always an option to get it quicker.
What I don't get is one person said he had an issue with the preview and it got changed fairly quickly. Then when more of us said we have an issue with the preview needing to be put back, a fix was made that would work for everyone. But that hasn't been released nearly as quickly. Why change the preview quickly for one person when it spoils it for more and can be fixed by releasing the current version?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've installed Calibre 4.23 and I want to give a big thank you to Kovd for the editor preview color option. It works very well.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-22-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #26
shotsky
Enthusiast
shotsky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotsky View Post
The preview should appear as the ebook appears. The code works better for me in dark mode. This worked previously, and only recently changed. Please restore the ability to have the preview pane in normal mode. I actually cannot read the preview pane because of the black background and dark blue text. And when there is a 'white' box in the preview, the text is a very light gray, and that can't be read either.
I see the page preview has again been made to follow dark mode. That is absolutely wrong! The page preview should show what the ebook actually looks like, not what it would look like in dark mode.
To fix this, I request an ebook editor preference to turn that dark mode on/off by user.
I wrote a css to 'reverse' dark mode in the page preview, but that makes my css override whatever css is already present. Dark mode is NOT PRESENT in any css, ever. A user option will satisfy all.
shotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:17 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@shotsky - which version of the editor are you referring to, this thread is two years old and refers to version 4.21; the current version is 6.6 and it has a Preferences->Preview Panel, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-04 111444.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	196975

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #28
shotsky
Enthusiast
shotsky began at the beginning.

I'm using the current version. That page does not help. The page preview is supposed to show what a browser would show. I have 'no change' selected. What I am asking for is that the dark mode of the editor not affect the page preview. Or add a switch to the preview to turn dark mode on or off for the page preview. That would satisfy those that don't want the preview in dark mode and those that don't care.
As I open any ebook, I expect the css of that book to show in the page preview. That's why I choose 'No change'. But the dark mode of the editor overrides any css in the ebook, and puts both the editor AND the page preview into dark mode. So I can't SEE the author's intent unless I turn off dark mode for the editor first. I prefer to have the editor in dark mode as I do for most other applications.
Worse, the css of the author sometimes makes it so that you can't even read the text because the text is the same color as the dark mode background. Then I have to diddle with the styling to make everything legible. I'd offer a screenshot, but it would be a screenshot of missing text - a blank screen.
shotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Turn down the brightness and stop using so called "Dark Mode" for everything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...00b0efa07d81ab
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote