Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... devmodeon in the search box, telnet to your Kobo and ftp the files?
Ah...ok. From what it said in the post I quoted, I was under the impression that NickelMenu was required in order to use FTP. Good to know that's not the case.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #17
Semwize

Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: Kobo
Another option is to put Nickel Menu + CoolReader.

There Book2eMail, Wi-Fi Server and OPDS.

So there are quite a few ways to transfer books to Kobo, and an sd card is not needed for this at all.

FTP server with Nickel Menu is the easiest and most convenient, IMHO.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #18
imno007
imno007 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
The backup method sideloading content on any Kobo is NickelMenu with a configured FTP server.
I don't think that technically qualifies as sideloading, and I'm not sure how using an ftp to transfer content would be any better than using Dropbox (except possibly it would allow me to get kepubs on the device), but it does look interesting for other reasons, so thanks for the recommendation.
imno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #19
imno007

Actually, let's remove "sideloading" from the equation, because I realize there will be different definitions of that term, and in this case what I had in mind was simply a method to transfer files between two local devices. In short, I prefer to have a way to get content onto the device that does not always require an internet connection, to put it plain and simple. But again, thanks for the recommendations.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #20
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by imno007 View Post
Actually, let's remove "sideloading" from the equation, because I realize there will be different definitions of that term, and in this case what I had in mind was simply a method to transfer files between two local devices. In short, I prefer to have a way to get content onto the device that does not always require an internet connection, to put it plain and simple. But again, thanks for the recommendations.
Using ftp, you don't need an internet connection, just a network connection?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #21
imno007

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Using ftp, you don't need an internet connection, just a network connection?
Yeah, but how exactly would that work, if you have no internet and also no physical (working) connection?
Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yeah, but how exactly would that work, if you have no internet and also no physical (working) connection?
Don't confuse internet with local network setup, however basically the same network connection you would need to use the Internet or a calibre server would be needed to use ftp. These days, you find very few networked computers that are not also connected to the Internet. A couple of years back, I set up a network with 5 computers and a server which were not connected to the Internet due to security concerns. My personal opinion was that unless they improved their physical security (*), the CSO was in for disappointment but their cheque cleared so no complaints on my part.

* On most lists of the laws of computer security, you will find a line that reads to the effect that if someone has physical access to your computer, it's not your computer anymore. AKA the rich janitor rule.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:56 AM   #23
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm not an IT guy, but all you should need to do is set up a local area network; the kobo has wifi, your computer has wifi, you "just*" need to setup a local area network.

*don't ask me how to do it. I don't know how easy it is. I'm assuming it can be done.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #24
imno007

I've already got a working solution using a wifi connection, and my whole point was I'd prefer not to have to depend on wifi. It's all good. Nothing to do about it at this point except get another ereader.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #25
Semwize

Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Semwize has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

FTP not only gives FULL access to the device (not only from the computer, but, for example, from the phone), but also extends the life of your USB slot (on the new device). The less you connect the wire, the more the slot will live, right?)

And Dropbox is a half-hearted solution.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Is there a link with destructions for the magical FTP to Kobo over USB? I presume it needs a jail break and setting up USB Network connection (which I've done about 14 years ago on Windows to a Game console, but not done explicitly on Linux which I use now).

What would FTP do that I can't do using USB mass storage bearing in mind I only want to load books and read annotations both of which are fine on Calibre via USB, or does FTP work on the WiFi? I do SFTP often enough on the LAN.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #27
Semwize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
or does FTP work on the WiFi?
Yes, that's right, full access without using wires.