Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Echo Dot 3 improves hearing audiobooks

I have some hearing loss - to the point that I finally had to shell out for a hearing aid. I received the Echo Dot 3 a couple of days ago and it's quite improved over Dot 1 and somewhat improved over Dot 2. It has enough bass in it that I can take the hearing aid out to listen. Not as good as the Echo 2, but far more portable and certainly less expensive. You can listen to both audiobooks that you have at Audible as well as a plugged in ipod or Mp3 player (bluetooth as well).

Apparently, putting 2 together results in stereo, but I haven't tried that yet.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
You can listen to both audiobooks that you have at Audible as well as a plugged in ipod or Mp3 player (bluetooth as well).
I did not know that an Echo Dot had this capability. I thought it would only read you Audible audiobooks. I have several audiobooks stored locally as MP3 files.

How to you make the Echo Dot play local MP3 files? I would like to make use of this capability. I'm thinking it would be good for bedtime listening. Currently, I use a Sansa MP3 player and headphones to listen to locally stored copies of audiobooks. To the best of my knowledge, there is no input connection on the Echo Dot to introduce local content. And I thought the Dots bluetooth was only available for outgoing content (with the exception of the initial Amazon setup, which is a special incoming connection).

So I'm very intrigued - how do you play local content? I am very interested in doing exactly this. I would love it if the Dot could access my media server via WiFi and play all the other content I have stored there as well, but that's probably hoping for too much. Just being able to play local content via a plug-in connection (or bluetooth) would be a good first step though.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, not an input connection. It uses Blueray. And I misspoke on some of this. While the Dot3 does have bluetooth, I'm not entirely sure what it will connect to - an Mp3 player or speakers. My stuff may be too old for that. Couldn't get anything to connect. So, I might have been better off paying the $66 and getting another Echo 2 since I play all the non-Audible stuff from my Nano and it works fine with Echo 1 and Echo 2. The Dot3 does allow you to directly connect to a speaker.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
... I play all the non-Audible stuff from my Nano and it works fine with Echo 1 and Echo 2 ...
This is what I don't understand.

I assume your "Nano" is some kind of MP3 playback device (I'm not familiar with it). So how does your Nano "work with" your Echo 1 / Echo 2?

I know you can connect speakers to a Dot. This is an outgoing connection from the Dot to the speaker, either using a directly connected cable or bluetooth. So whatever the Dot is playing, can be sent to a connected speaker instead. You are substituting an external speaker for the built-in Dot speaker. I do this all the time.

My question is, how do you get your Dot (or Echo 1 or Echo 2 or whatever device you have) to play back MP3's that are stored on your Nano? How does your Dot/Echo interface with your Nano?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard

Nano is a type of Apple audioplayer that was recently discontinued; part of the ipod collection. Please ignore what I said on the Dot 3. The bluetooth application only allows you to connect to another Dot3 or an external speaker.

For the ECHO, not the dot, you turn on the bluetooth on both devices. You should be able to find Echo-xxx in your bluetooth options on your device. If not, ask Alexa to pair. If it does not show up, the type of bluetooth might not be compatible.
Advert
Old 11-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard

Ahhh! Dang it. I only have Dots (a bunch of them). I may have to research into getting an Echo too if there is a possibility that it can play local content. I'm sure Amazon doesn't want that. They want you to subscribe (and pay!) to use their music and audiobook streaming services ... not use your own.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #7
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Ahhh! Dang it. I only have Dots (a bunch of them). I may have to research into getting an Echo too if there is a possibility that it can play local content. I'm sure Amazon doesn't want that. They want you to subscribe (and pay!) to use their music and audiobook streaming services ... not use your own.
You can bluetooth pair a phone or tablet to a Dot to play your mp3s ( or other audio) on the Dot. I think the initial pairing needs to be done using the Alexa app. After that just tell Alexa to pair.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
amazon echo devices will play most commercial music streaming subscriptions ( not google music though) e.g. Spotify can be set as a default, via the Alexa app, Apple music is also now supported
We use Spotify - no sense paying for an amazon music subscription which has the same music, esp as Spotify premium has a higher bit rate [ not that you'd notice that on a dot ! , but on something like a Sonos One, you maybe would ].

and there is a way { ask google} to add local content into spotify as a playlist which is then accessible from any Device linked to the Spotify account. so you could probably get at any owned or borrowed MP3 audiobooks like that
and Plex are, allegedly, working on making your plex music collection stream directly to echo. plex control for other devices is already supported as an Alexa skill
https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/02/pl...-asking-alexa/
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just ordered the Dot 3. Does anyone have any idea if the remote I use for my Dot 1 will pair with the Dot 3? My husband really likes to use the remote. I'll find out when it arrives, of course. Just wondering if anyone here had tried it.

ETA Never mind, I looked at Amazon and I think it WILL work. Leaving this here as an FYI.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote