Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I keep hoping that Kobo will buy out Barnes and Noble in the US like they ended up doing in the UK. I mean sure it was the long way around, but Kobo ended up with whatever was left of BN's UK customers.
That would work for me!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You can only read Apple books on Apple hardware. If you buy those, you're a (bleep). IMHO. Respectfully
Fixed that for your
„You can read Apple books only on Apple hardware.“
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
You can only read Apple books on Apple hardware.
The DRM free ones can of course be read on pretty much anything.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The DRM free ones can of course be read on pretty much anything.
iBooks as well?

Are there applications outside of the apple ecosystem that can read them?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
At this point it's probably not even mostly about eInk, if it ever was.
I suspect there was window between the launch of the 2nd Gen Kindle and the super-saturation of high-res mobile devices when eInk was indeed what it was all about.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
At this point it's probably not even mostly about eInk, if it ever was. Although I don't think I've seen any kind of large scale breakdown most people I know read on their phones or tablets and see a dedicated device as unnecessary.
This may or may not be relevant but there are approximately 4 billion tablets and smartphones compared with about 100 million or less ereaders. In 2014, there were 75 million ereaders total. (The findings are in a thread on this forum. )
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
iBooks as well?

Are there applications outside of the apple ecosystem that can read them?
I don't know about all of them as I know they have some fixed layout stuff and the like, but I've got some DRM free freebies (regular novels) I got from iBooks that open fine in ADE.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
This may or may not be relevant but there are approximately 4 billion tablets and smartphones compared with about 100 million or less ereaders. In 2014, there were 75 million ereaders total. (The findings are in a thread on this forum. )
PCs matter, too.
Increasingly so with the shift to convertibles.

The key distinction is on the reader involvement side: eink matters most to heavy readers and it matters the least to casual readers. Same as with cameras or home theater gear or gaming. The more time you dedicate to the activity the more value you get from optimized gear.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #24
kbaerwald
BioReader
kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Various
Done deal now - German Antitrust Authorities have confirmed the deal on Jan 20.
http://www.bundeskartellamt.de/Share...o_rakuten.html
They also have an English landing page but not yet translated this specific article!

English version available now!

Last edited by kbaerwald; 01-23-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Add on
kbaerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #25
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
According to google's translation of the article, Amazon has nearly 50% of the German ebook market, tolino-backed stores had 30-40%, and Kobo was in the low single digits.

(German or German-speaking market?)

Anyway, this seems like an excellent way for Rakuten to get a bigger slice of the German pie.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #26
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast
Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenween View Post
I don't like when the players in the field become so few. Tolino has some competitive priced and good quality ereaders in Europe, even though I still prefer my Kobo.
I used to have a Tolino, and was quite happy with it.
But then, via via I got the daily emails from Bookbub and started buying or getting some e-books from Kobo. Having to convert them to epub with adobe every time, I decided to buy a Kobo and I never regretted buying my Clara.
Butterfly1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I keep hoping that Kobo will buy out Barnes and Noble in the US like they ended up doing in the UK. I mean sure it was the long way around, but Kobo ended up with whatever was left of BN's UK customers.
If they do that, I hope the keep some of the B&N hardware designers. I like the design of my 2015 Glowlight Plus far more than I do my Clara. And the Glowlight 3 has better orange lighting as you can actually slide it to where the white LEDs are off.

When it comes to My Books/Library, I also like the way B&N offer a cover view on Authors whereas Kobo only shows a list. Multiple books by the same author can be 'stacked' in the Nook Library and it will show a little number to clarify how many books are in that author's stack.

Now why stacked authors are displayed first name last name and unstacked authors are displayed last name, first name is just one of the quirks of the Nook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200518_144910.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	179332  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-18-2020 at 03:55 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly1234 View Post
I used to have a Tolino, and was quite happy with it.
But then, via via I got the daily emails from Bookbub and started buying or getting some e-books from Kobo. Having to convert them to epub with adobe every time, I decided to buy a Kobo and I never regretted buying my Clara.
As long as DRM is removed, I don't think you have to convert from kepub to ePub. A kepub is just an ePub with a bunch of extra spans thrown in. Though I haven't tried, you should be able to open a kepub with any ePub reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As long as DRM is removed, I don't think you have to convert from kepub to ePub. A kepub is just an ePub with a bunch of extra spans thrown in. Though I haven't tried, you should be able to open a kepub with any ePub reader.
I do that frequently while testing things. But, the epub version of the books can be downloaded from the store.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
How many are used primarily or even regularly for reading?

It's a matter of commitment. eink owners are people that rdad often enough to justify the expense. The same applies to a subset or multifunction device readers but there is no way of knowing how important reading for them.

There's a billion Windows10 devices, hundreds of millions using Edge browsers that could handle epubs, yet so few did so that MS didn't bother to keep the feature when they switched the browser codebase.

Likewise there's zillions of iOS and MacOS devices and Android phones yet Apple has a small ebook sales market share (10%?) and Google is stuck in the low-single digit range. in both cases, their sales are dwarfed by Amazon and at best comparable to Kobo. (We're too polite to talk of Nook. )

There's no question there's a lot of ebook readers outside the eink platforms but there's no telling how significant a segment tbey are; how many are avid readers buying dozens of books a year, casual readers buying one or two a year, or something in between. At most we can assume that the vast majority of eink users are avid readers. (Or independently wealthy and think nothing of spend $100 to read one book a year. )

At this point, trying to track the stores is going to be more productive than tracking hardware, especially given the longevity of hardware, so that even decling sales of either says nothing about number of readers doing eink.

(FWIW, I have all four platforms: phone, PC, eink, and multiple tablets. At one time or another I read of the latter three but when I settle down for extended reading it's the eink I reach for. Maybe I'm just weird.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote