Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
pokeyouindaeye
pokeyouindaeye began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Getting Apps in Canada OR Loading Apps from File

Howdy all,
I own a Kindle2 and want to get Dragon7's Notepad app, or something similar onto my eReader so that I can take extended notes.

Anyone know a way that a Canadian can get an app (not able to purchase from my Kindle or Amazon)? Would an IP blocker work, or would the goods never get to my device?

OR

If I were to find the app as a file somewhere, is there a way to safely load it on without risking blowing up my device?

Thanks much,
Poke
pokeyouindaeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Unfortunately, apps seem to only be made available for US citizens (heck, this even goes for the FREE games that Amazon has programmed!)

I have somewhere read success stories from people who simply invented a residential address in the US, switched their account to it, and then were able to download apps. I personally never tried this, though. I doubt that this is legally waterproof, but you may want to think about it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
pokeyouindaeye

Thanks...
Any ideas about loading from file?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can sideload apps (.azw2 files) just like every other content. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a legal way to get your hands on the files in the first place...
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
pokeyouindaeye

Thanks ixtab, how does one sideload though? I'm used to using Calibre for loading books.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)

"Sideloading" is just a fancy term for "directly copying files on the device, without vendor control".

So essentially, plug in your Kindle to your computer, and it should appear as a device ("drive letter" or "mountpoint"). You can copy any file on that device. All the files that you put inside the "documents" folder will be considered by your Kindle.

That includes pdf, mobi, azw, etc. And azw2 is the "official" extension for Kindle Apps. So, if you have a PDF file and put it into the documents folder of your Kindle, you "sideloaded" it (because Amazon as a company doesn't know about it, but your device can handle it). That's pretty much about it.

Tags
app, applications, apps, kindle, kindle2