Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #166
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Version 3.8.0 beta of the Kindle Previewer is now available.

I did some limited testing and found that the KFX Output plugin appears to work with this new version.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #167
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Just got my new Kindle Oasis... to replace my trusty Sony T3.

Calibre converted my epubs to kfx very nicely thanks to this plugin and the Kindle Preview app - a few books didn't convert so they are now in azw3 and hyphenate-this plugin'd (?) and also seems ok.

BUT

I can drag the kfx file over to the Oasis no problem ( the book cover doesn't show on the Kindle but hey ho...) yet using Calbre it does not seem to have any option to send the kfx to the device? Azw3 can be sent ok - but kfx is not an option in the device configuration either.

Any trick or work around or am I missing something....?

Edited for this work around I errr, worked out... :-
  • In Calibre select all the books with kfx formats ( no problem if they also have epubs also etc).
  • Right click and Save to disk... and choose Save single format to disk.
  • Choose a location/folder and let it do its thing
  • Drag all those folders containing the kfx books over to the documents folder on your kindle
  • Wait while your kindle updates itself ( database?)
  • May as well set up to view as a list since book covers don't work

Last edited by Coops; 02-14-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #168
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
...yet using Calbre it does not seem to have any option to send the kfx to the device?
Support for KFX within calibre is very limited and doesn't include any "send to device" features. The first post in this thread contains some basic instructions for sideloading KFX books manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Any trick or work around or am I missing something....?
Your work around sounds fine.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #169
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Starting with version 2.80.0, calibre has the ability to sideload books to Kindle devices in KFX format and to view the metadata of sideloaded KFX books present on a Kindle device.

When your Kindle is connected additional icons will appear on the calibre toolbar. "Send to device" sends books from your calibre library to your device and "Device" shows the books currently present on the device. "Remove books" will delete books from a device if activated while in device view.

Use the "Configure this device" choice in the "Device" dropdown menu to adjust the priority of different formats. If a book has multiple formats that are checked on the list then the one highest on the list is delivered. Conversion to the highest priority format will be done automatically if none of the checked formats is available for a book. Move "kfx" to the top if you want it to have precedence.

See the calibre User Manual for more information.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #170
halabund
halabund began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Starting with version 2.80.0, calibre has the ability to sideload books to Kindle devices in KFX format and to view the metadata of sideloaded KFX books present on a Kindle device.
This is wonderful! Thank you for keeping track of this.
halabund is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 PM   #171
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Device: Meebook P78 Pro, Likebook P6
Quote:
Perfect! Works great and thank you so much for this awesome KFX Output plugin!
homeceo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #172
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Now that we can use "send to device" for kfx files produced with the KFX Output plugin ...

I use the metadata plugboard to add series info to azw3 when sending the file to my device.
{series}{series_index:0>2s| | – }{title}

I tried creating a new metadata plugboard and chose "any format" (kfx is not an option), KINDLE2 as device (I use a Voyage, Oasis and KT3)
but this does not work on the kfx file produced with the KFX Output plugin. The title is not changed.

I don't mind manually changing my book titles in Calibre to add the series info....just thought I would check here first to see if I might be missing something using the metadata plugboard. I don't know if it is even possible to use a plugboard for the kfx file.

Thank you.

Last edited by homeceo43; 02-27-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #173
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
I don't know if it is even possible to use a plugboard for the kfx file.
Calibre does not support updating the metadata of KFX files, so metadata plugboards are ineffective for the KFX format.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #174
homeceo43
Connoisseur

Thank you jhowell. I am very happy to send kfx to device though. I'll manually add series info to my book titles.

Have a great day!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:54 AM   #175
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Calibre does not support updating the metadata of KFX files, so metadata plugboards are ineffective for the KFX format.
It actuallly seems to work for me...
I use the plugboard for the same reason (series information in the filename), and I found it applied to kfx books as well...
What's funny is that I don't have a plugboard instruction for "any format"; I only have it for azw3, but apparently, it's what gets applied for KFX.

The only reason stopping me from using KFX is that the Screen Saver Hack is not able to extract a cover from it.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #176
Manrico
Manrico began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra
Just saw that Kindle Previewer 3.9 Beta is released. Haven't tried it yet.
Manrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #177
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is the KFX Output plugin compatible with Kindle Previewer 3.9 Beta? I usually wait to hear from jhowell before upgrading. 3.8 works with most books, so I've withheld from updating for that very reason.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #178
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.6.0 of this plugin is not currently compatible with the latest Kindle Previewer (3.9 beta). An update to the plugin will be released soon.

Edit: New version released:

Version 1.7.0 - 22 Mar 2017

Fix incompatibility with Kindle Previewer 3.9 beta and improve handling of conversion error logs. (Fixes "KFX creation error: Unexpected conversion log: log_processEpub.txt")

Improve handling of non-ASCII system environments. (Untested under Mac OS.)

Remove support for Previewer versions older than 3.7 beta.

Minor changes and bug fixes.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-22-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #179
nkluan
nkluan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation, Kobo Forma
Thank you so much for your work, jhowell
nkluan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #180
revenant
revenant began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Warm Thanks for your work, jhowell!