Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Can I take Reader on a flight from USA to Europe?

I have asked a good friend to purchase Sony Reader for me. She will be flying from USA to central Europe.

Can she take the Reader into her on-board hand lugage?
I am afraid the Reader might get damaged in the "check-in" suitcase.

Thank you
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Absolutely, she can take it as hand luggage.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You should just have her keep it in the original packaging and bury it in the suitcase. Then I would think it would be fine if it's a hard cover suitcase. Probably safe even in a big soft side suitcase if there are clothes around it. But definitely it would be fine in the box in carry-on luggage!

You are right, though, that if it's "naked" then the screen is very vulnerable. Even if it has one of the Sony covers, it's relatively fragile so you should make sure she's careful with it. Even in a carry on, you don't want it to be pressed on hard by something else next to it.

But with reasonable precautions, I'm sure it will be fine!

I can't imagine any restrictions that would not allow it as carry-on. Many people have used it on flights. You just have to turn it off when electronic devices are supposed to be off. (That's a shame because it probably has no chance of affecting any of the airplane instruments. But when you ban all electronics, I guess you just don't make exceptions.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ever notice how they've never been bothered by electronic watches?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
No problem. Last November had a 19" LCD monitor in my suitcase in its orginal shipping box. Except for leaving the video cord at home went through with no problems! Would assume the reader in the box should work ok.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Ever notice how they've never been bothered by electronic watches?
I still think its mostly about trying to keep people in the best posture to rapidly evacuate the plane during the two most dangerous phases of flight. But its better to explain it as interfering rather than "Its for your own good."

Back in the early days of Xerox they had an issue with paper getting caught at a couple points in the paper path. Rather than supplying Fire Extinguishers, which might alarm users, they supplied Paper Scorch Prevention Devices.

If the plane is actually in real danger of crashing they will ask you to take your watch off. At which point the prepared air traveler will retire to the restroom with their carry on and rapidly strip and then don their nomex clothing and Scorch Prevention Head Gear.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
I have asked a good friend to purchase Sony Reader for me. She will be flying from USA to central Europe.

Can she take the Reader into her on-board hand lugage?
I am afraid the Reader might get damaged in the "check-in" suitcase.

Thank you
No problems, I bought to last November and one was in my hand luggage all of the way over and the other in my hands being used.

I must have been interupted at least 10 times on my way back to Spain by people asking what is it?

People also stopped to ask me what I was watching on my laptop. They had never seen the TV series "The Prisoner" before!
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote