Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Reader16
Reader16 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Where are Nook ebook files in Windows 10?

How can I find the place where my Nook ebooks are stored on my PC that uses Windows 10? I know they are there because the library shows and I can read books when the PC is not connected to the internet.

Thanks for any advice.
Reader16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What are you using to download them? Nook for PC, Nook Study, the old Win 8 app?

Nook for PC and Nook Study store books in Documents--->My Barnes & Noble eBooks

If it's the abandoned Nook app from the Windows App Store I'm not sure if it stores books the same way or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Reader16

Thank you AnemicOak,

I can't give a succinct answer to your question. My hard drive files and programs were migrated to Windows 10 directly from Windows XP, but not by me. I may still be using Nook for PC?

I do have a documents file "My Barnes & Noble ebooks." It contains only the ebooks I got before B&N decided to hide new acquisitions. However, when I bring up my on-computer Nook library, all my ebooks are available in complete files. I'd like to find those files.

Edited to add: It's also possible that I have the Nook app from the Windows store. If so, where would I look for my book files?

I guess I'm asking for possibilities to check.

Last edited by Reader16; 04-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
You need to use Nook for PC to download the files to your computer. That will store them in the My Barnes & Noble Ebooks folder.

I don't know if the app actually downloads the ebook to your computer for you.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
Reader16

Thanks to both who answered.

I found the files, but now don't know what's next. Entries are numbers, but not ISBN's. I found them at:

C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState

where "username" is the name under which the computer is registered, not the B&N username.

Last edited by Reader16; 04-11-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
That looks like a path that the Windows Store Nook app would use. I could be remembering wrong, but it was my impression that you could get no usable ePub's with that app. Are you seeing .epub files at that path?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
How to move Nook books to Calibre? I Have nook for pc downloaded but cant find the folder with my nook books in it. The other info in this thread did not help. I did find a folder but they are older books not any of my recent books I purchased the past few years so there must be another folder someplace. I see my B&N ebook folder but nothing since 2010 is in there

Last edited by HLS; 01-28-2018 at 07:46 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That looks like a path that the Windows Store Nook app would use. I could be remembering wrong, but it was my impression that you could get no usable ePub's with that app. Are you seeing .epub files at that path?
That isn't correct. I only have the Nook app from the Windows store on my laptop and ePubs come through just fine. The folder is "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState" as Reader16 mentioned.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
How to move Nook books to Calibre? I Have nook for pc downloaded but cant find the folder with my nook books in it. The other info in this thread did not help. I did find a folder but they are older books not any of my recent books I purchased the past few years so there must be another folder someplace. I see my B&N ebook folder but nothing since 2010 is in there
When you say 'Nook for PC', where did you get it from? If you downloaded it from the Windows store (if you are running Windows 8 or 10) it stores them in "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState" as mentioned. If you are using the older Nook for PC downloaded from somewhere else, it stores them elsewhere (I think in My Documents?).

If you can find the folder, but there's no books in it, open the program and make sure you've actually downloaded the book (right click on the book and choose download, I think. I'm not at home and going off of memory). It doesn't download them automatically. It just shows you the covers.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-29-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
When you say 'Nook for PC', where did you get it from? If you downloaded it from the Windows store (if you are running Windows 8 or 10) it stores them in "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState" as mentioned. If you are using the older Nook for PC downloaded from somewhere else, it stores them elsewhere (I think in My Documents?).

If you can find the folder, but there's no books in it, open the program and make sure you've actually downloaded the book (right click on the book and choose download, I think. I'm not at home and going off of memory). It doesn't download them automatically. It just shows you the covers.
From the windows store and that path shows it does not exist and I downloaded everything
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
From the windows store and that path shows it does not exist and I downloaded everything
If you just copied "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState" and tried pasting that in your Windows Explorer, it won't work because your particular username folder isn't going to be called "username"

Just to make sure everything is correct, make sure you are following these steps:

1: Open the Nook app. The home page should show My Library and show a few of your book covers. If they are stored online, in the upper left corner of the cover, there will be a little cloud icon with a down pointing arrow. If you've downloaded the book, it will just show the cover without the cloud.

Make sure you've downloaded at least one book. To download, just click
on the cloud.

2: Open Windows Explorer. Go to the top and click 'View'. Make sure 'Hidden Items' has a check in the box. If it doesn't, check it.

3: In Windows Explorer, look at the left hand column. Under 'This PC' click 'Windows (C)' In the folder list on the right, click 'Users'

4: In the 'Users' folder you should have at least three folders: 'Default', 'Public' and a folder that uses some version of your Windows 10 user name. Click that folder.

5: Click 'App Data', then 'Local', then 'Packages', then 'BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc', then 'LocalState'

6: In that folder there should be a few ePub files. Their names will just be numbers. You can drag them from that folder to Calibre.

7: If Alf was set up correctly, you should be able to open the books in Calibre. If it gives you a message about DRM, something is wrong with your Alf setup.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-02-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
You could do a search for your B&N ebooks using file explorer. B&N ebooks are named example:
Code:
thewaroftheworlds_2940146701530.epub
so do a search of C: using:
Code:
*_*.epub
Or do a search of C: using:
Code:
Barnes
bernie

Quote:
If you just copied "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState" and tried pasting that in your Windows Explorer, it won't work because your particular username folder isn't going to be called "username"

Just to make sure everything is correct, make sure you are following these steps:

1: Open the Nook app. The home page should show My Library and show a few of your book covers. If they are stored online, in the upper left corner of the cover, there will be a little cloud icon with a down pointing arrow. If you've downloaded the book, it will just show the cover without the cloud.
Spoiler:

Make sure you've downloaded at least one book. To download, just click
on the cloud.

2: Open Windows Explorer. Go to the top and click 'View'. Make sure 'Hidden Items' has a check in the box. If it doesn't, check it.

3: In Windows Explorer, look at the left hand column. Under 'This PC' click 'Windows (C)' In the folder list on the right, click 'Users'

4: In the 'Users' folder you should have at least three folders: 'Default', 'Public' and a folder that uses some version of your Windows 10 user name. Click that folder.

5: Click 'App Data', then 'Local', then 'Packages', then 'BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc', then 'LocalState'

6: In that folder there should be a few ePub files. Their names will just be numbers. You can drag them from that folder to Calibre.

7: If Alf was set up correctly, you should be able to open the books in Calibre. If it gives you a message about DRM, something is wrong with your Alf setup.

Hope this helps.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
You could do a search for your B&N ebooks using file explorer. B&N ebooks are named example:
Code:
No, they don't.

I've downloaded 3 books using the Windows 10 Nook app (including yesterday) and they are titled: 2940149327782.epub, 9781440687594.epub and 9781466828322.epub.

You could do a search of C: using *.epub. But if your Calibre library is also on C, you will get a lot of returns.

Quote:
Code:
Barnes
I tried that and it worked. I had better luck doing a search on 'barnesnoble' as it really narrowed down the results.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-03-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
All of the ebooks I have downloaded have been like my example given using Nook Study and the Old Nook for PC.

YMMV

bernie

Quote:
Code:
so do a search of C: using:
Code:
*_*.epub
Code:
Barnes
bernie
Quote:
No, they don't.

I've downloaded 3 books using the Windows 10 Nook app (including yesterday) and they are titled: 2940149327782.epub, 9781440687594.epub and 9781466828322.epub.

You could do a search of C: using *.epub. But if your Calibre library is also on C, you will get a lot of returns.

I tried that and it worked. I had better luck doing a search on 'barnesnoble' as it really narrowed down the results.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
All of the ebooks I have downloaded have been like my example given using Nook Study and the Old Nook for PC.

YMMV

bernie
We're talking about the Nook app in the Windows store.

I don't think Nook Study and the old Nook for PC stored things in C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState