Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #16
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Thanks for all your answers, guys. I guess I'll wait a few months to see where the wind blows. I'm looking forward to the new Paperwhite since even in the few videos released so far there seems to be a noticeable improvement in contrast. It's the first device as you know to use E-ink's latest "Carta" screen.

I do wish though that their screen would be slightly larger than 6''. I don't know why the industry has all settled on 6''. Kobo went out with the Aura HD with a 6''7 screen, and it sold very well, until becoming somewhat obsolete a week later...
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
agreed. it is a bit little.

The contrast on my current device is fine.
This all smacks of "newer must be better" in my eyes but heh, after a lifetime of buying better and better audio equipment I think I might be a little jaded on the whole. "Shiny and new" marketing thing.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
agreed. it is a bit little.

The contrast on my current device is fine.
This all smacks of "newer must be better" in my eyes but heh, after a lifetime of buying better and better audio equipment I think I might be a little jaded on the whole. "Shiny and new" marketing thing.
... There is one thing that I love about native english speakers: they do use rare words. ... <3 twobob!

Spoiler:

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:48 AM   #19
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
I realize I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but is there any way to modify the default margins on a PW1 with 5.6.1.1 installed?
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #20
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Editing appropriate jar files should still works.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #21
911jason
Zealot

Any chance you could point me to the specific instructions? I'm searching, but not finding anything specific to the 5.6.1.1 firmware.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #22
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Try this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1795

No Idea if there were some changes in code stucture in newer firmware versions, like there was a change in the way margin values were represented sometimes around firmware 5.5.x (IIRC the values used to be in pt/px, and now are in some decimal/float type numbers that map to some amount of pixel).
I'm not aware of any newer instructions and not sure if there was any feedback from users of newer firmwares. The tools needed are the same, files are probably still the same so it only a matter of the Java code itself.

I think I haven't done those edits since the early days of Paperwhite 1 (maybe the last time I did that type od of edit I was still using Kindle 3/Kindle Keyboard), afterwards I just used the prebuild ones. My old PW1 (now used by my father) is still on firmware 5.4.4.

Since we had to wait quite a long time until the jailbreak for PW3 & firmware 5.5.x or newer firmware was discovered I've gotten used to reading with smallest factory margin... the other main reason for editing those .jar files was re-defining font size value and firmware 5.6.5 had the "FONT_RAMP" thing that enables you to the same thing... so when I finally could jailbreak my PW3 and have gained SSH I was to lazy to do the whole jar edit thing. Custom fonts and personalized font size gradation is good enough for me now. Those two are not optional
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #23
911jason
Zealot

Thank you very much @shamanNS for taking the time to respond. After talking to @NiLuJe last night on another thread, and hearing about his disdain and difficulty trying to work with the Java, I came to the conclusion that I should just content myself with the font and screensaver hacks and get on with reading and enjoying my Kindle.