Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Sturdy e-ink for 10-year old

Hi, my kid has finally gotten interested in reading he's been reading paper books and on his iPad, but since he is really getting interested in reading I'm thinking of getting home an e-ink device for his upcoming birthday.

I haven't been following the various devices - are there any that are more sturdy/hard wearing (i.e. metal body etc)? Format doesn't matter, but it needs to be dedicated e-reader, stable in use (no app loading crashes etc).

Thanks!
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
There is no such thing as a sturdy e-ink device. You can get a good case and buy a low-end e-ink reader, willing to replace it if need be. That's the route I went, along with instructions on how to handle the device and pack it safely in a bag, and my Kobo Glo survived my now-13-year-old just fine. Metal vs plastic body is pretty irrelevant - it's the glass screen substrate that is prone to breakage - it is much thinner than the glass screen of a tablet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are a number of eInk Readers that are stable. But, they are all about the same in terms of how sturdy. Do you think your son can manage an eInk Reader that has a glass substrate?

They all do and if he's not able to handle such with dropping, bending, twisting, putting heavy things on it, etc, then an eInk Reader is not for him.

If you do think he'd be able to handle a Reader, I would suggest getting a basic Kindle since you have Kindles.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you do think he'd be able to handle a Reader, I would suggest getting a basic Kindle since you have Kindles.
Yep, I'd give him the old K3. They're all near end of life anyway, unless the battery has been replaced.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Or buy him the kids bundle kindle for $99.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Thank you for the comments. I'm aware that the screen has a glass substrate, I was a bit unclear in my question: I was wondering if there are e-ink devices with a metal body similar to the old prs-505 etc that would at least help in preventing some twisting that might crack the screen.

I migh give him one of my devices, although not the K3 - I use that for TTS
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XIV00EO...ods_fs_eink_bk

I 2nd the Kindle Kids Bundle & its on SALE! $90!!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a major issue with the Kids bundle. The problem is the cover give no protection for the screen at all. So when the Kindle isn't being used, there's no protection. If the Kindle was put in a carry bag, the screen could be scratched or bashed and because there's no protection for the screen, it would take less pressure on the screen to break it. The Kindle needs more protection, not less.

As for metal housed Readers, they are all plastic now. The last of the metal housed Readers was the Sony x50 line (350,650, 950).
Old 06-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
For a kid, I'd suggest a Kobo Touch 2.0 and a good case. The e-reader is relatively inexpensive ($89.99CDN) and should do quite well. The fact that it doesn't have a built-in light may be a bonus with a child, as it makes it harder to sneakily stay up late reading. :-P

An added plus is that Kobo works well for library loans in Europe. Kindle does not.
ottdmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
There is a major issue with the Kids bundle. The problem is the cover give no protection for the screen at all. So when the Kindle isn't being used, there's no protection. If the Kindle was put in a carry bag, the screen could be scratched or bashed and because there's no protection for the screen, it would take less pressure on the screen to break it. The Kindle needs more protection, not less.

As for metal housed Readers, they are all plastic now. The last of the metal housed Readers was the Sony x50 line (350,650, 950).
I think it comes with a 2 year warranty so if he breaks it, no big deal.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:

The new Kepler line from Onyx has metal frames.
A bit pricey for a ten year old though.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I just read the title of the thread...

I can't do that trade, but I'd be happy to give you a 17 year old boy for a sturdy ereader. He's house trained, well, as house-trained as any 17 year old.

Sorry, but someone had to do it
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Thank you for the comments. I'm aware that the screen has a glass substrate, I was a bit unclear in my question: I was wondering if there are e-ink devices with a metal body similar to the old prs-505 etc that would at least help in preventing some twisting that might crack the screen.
There's nothing inherent about metal that stops twisting and bending. You could go ahead and buy a child a Voyage, but it doesn't sound like the soundest financial decision to me, if you're on a limited budget. *shrug*, your choice.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #14
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'd just get a Paperwhite and a good case, and make sure he understands that it needs to be kept in the case when not being actively used for reading, and that it should never be on the ground. 10 isn't that young.

But I think the Paperwhite (or the Voyage or the new one - whatever it's called - if you don't care at all about money) is the best e-ink reader, and he needs to have a good experience reading if you want to encourage that as an activity.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I'd just get a Paperwhite and a good case, and make sure he understands that it needs to be kept in the case when not being actively used for reading, and that it should never be on the ground. 10 isn't that young.

But I think the Paperwhite (or the Voyage or the new one - whatever it's called - if you don't care at all about money) is the best e-ink reader, and he needs to have a good experience reading if you want to encourage that as an activity.
Let's not get into which Reader is best. Let's just go with what Reader is best in this situation.