Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #106
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
On another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...147#post817147 there is a link to a company that sells rebadged iRex units for the aviation industry, a 24 hour battery life is claimed - which in itself is far more specific than anything iRex themselves have claimed. Quite what the 24 hours amounts to though is not clear. I suspect that 24 hours of looking at aviation charts places a different demand on the battery from 24 hours of reading a text at, say, a page a minute (60 page turns per hour x 24 hours gives only 1440 page turns per charge - I'm never really sure what battery life expressed in page turns means either).

In real world use, I read for between 3 and 4 hours a day, I often flip between the things that I am reading - which presumably draws more power that just reading - when we get the firmware updates I imagine I will use annotations and scribble quite a bit, which will also impact on how much power is drawn from the battery. So I guess the real answer to the question, "What's the battery life of this reader?" is, it depends what you are doing with it.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #107
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
That's interesting- with active use my DR800SG lasts longer than my Sony PRS-900 (and I don't have any Sony auto-delivery of newspapers). The DR800 does take a long time to charge though.
Thank you, Lisa. It's reassuring to know this new iRex's battery useage isn't out of line with other readers.

Question to you or others who already have the unit: can you continue to read while the DR800 is plugged in and charging? I can't with my Cybook, but can with my Kindle 2.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #108
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Question to you or others who already have the unit: can you continue to read while the DR800 is plugged in and charging? I can't with my Cybook, but can with my Kindle 2.
Yes, you can use the device while charging.
drl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #109
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drl View Post
Thank you, drl. That's good news. I can't count how many times I've gotten the low-battery warning on my Kindle 2 while in the middle of a novel. Being able to plug a reader in and continue to read while it charges is a big plus.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #110
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drl View Post
But if you are charging it via the USB on you computer you will have to "Eject" it - which effectively de-mounts it as a removable drive so that is is simply drawing power from the USB - before you can use it.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #111
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Okay, I set it on standby and with airplane mode turned on last night. It showed 97% charge. Now I just check it is down to 94%, a 3% drop. I am wondering whether this is just my unit or normal.

I think I'll do some testing to see how many page turns it take for it to drop 1%.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #112
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Here are some statistic.

1% drop / 150 page turns of pdf with some image w/ airplane mode on
3% drop / per newspaper download.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #113
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
1% drop / 150 page turns of pdf with some image w/ airplane mode on
If this is true and there is no battery calibration issues, it means awesome 15k pages from a single charge!
On my 3 years old PRS500 i'm getting only 1.5k page turns per charge...
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #114
OrcaBlue
Groupie

I think there is some problem with charging up to 100%. It stayed at 98% for a long time unless you check several times. Hence, it won't show full charge by itself. Once, the battery read 100%, the light does turn from orange to green.

Although, 1% drop for quick consecutive 150 page turns; this isn't true for normal reading. The drop is higher even the page is not being turn.

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 03-06-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #115
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Although, 1% drop for quick consecutive 150 page turns; this isn't true for normal reading. The drop is higher even the page is not being turn.
Hmm, i've specifically checked PRS500 battery life for quick consecutive 150 page turns; this is where 1.5k pages are coming from.
However, i'm getting about the same 1.5k in real life while reading.
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #116
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
I haven't done battery benchmarks (not that there are formal tests for that) but experientially I can tell you that my Sony Reader PRS-900 usually lasts 6 days on charge while my IREX DR800SG lasts 10 days on a charge with the same use.

That's with 3G on (going into standby as dictated by device power management), reading at least 1.5 hours/day and downloading 10 books/periodicals over 3G.
I read about an hour or two a day, and haven't done much with the 3G yet. The last time I charged it was on 2/23, so it's been 13 days now. Last night I still have 26% battery left.

I assume the 3G usage is the difference between your 10 and my 13+.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #117
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
On another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...147#post817147 there is a link to a company that sells rebadged iRex units for the aviation industry, a 24 hour battery life is claimed - which in itself is far more specific than anything iRex themselves have claimed. Quite what the 24 hours amounts to though is not clear.
I wouldn't read too much into that. It may be running a custom firmware as well.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #118
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Okay, I set it on standby and with airplane mode turned on last night. It showed 97% charge. Now I just check it is down to 94%, a 3% drop. I am wondering whether this is just my unit or normal.
Sounds normal. Standby is not "off", so it's still drawing some power.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #119
Dellaster
本の虫

Arrived!

My 800SG has arrived and is charging now. No problems. Pen was loose in the box, so I can understand how one could get omitted or bounced out during packaging. I immediately wrapped it in industrial grade Velcro for attachment to the top of my device. Adds a nice fuzzy, thicker grip that I prefer.

I transferred my current read via Calibre, which had no problem recognizing the device. Getting to page 102 was a pain ... then I realized there was a table of contents. Doh! But still, it needs that Go To Page function in April's update. I've read a chapter so far as it's charging over the USB. Me like. A lot. Seems to be everything I expected.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #120
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Ah the pain! My new DR800SG has arrived but I am on a trip. No chance to see it for another 10 days or so. At least I had them check that the pen is in the package and charge it for me. Really didn't expect it to arrive so quickly.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote