Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I love Lorelei King! She's Mercy Thompson's voice!!
Lorelei's a friend of mine: we share an interest in ancient languages (Latin and Greek). Very nice lady.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #107
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lorelei's a friend of mine: we share an interest in ancient languages (Latin and Greek). Very nice lady.
Wow, I'm jealous!

Does she make a decent income with audiobooks, do you know? Her and Tavia Gilbert are worth their weight in gold, and I always wondered how much of a cut they get - I'd feel much better knowing it's a 40% cut for author and voice actress vs. 3%, for instance.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My understanding is that it's "work for hire" - ie, the voice artist is paid a fixed fee for the work. It's not a percentage basis.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
She's my favorite voice actor. Her voice skills amaze me! I wish that they hire her to go back and do the first 6 Stephanie plum novels because to me she is Stephanie Plum. C.J. Critt is okay but has no where the vocal ability to do the variety of voices King does.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #110
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by deddajay View Post
For Android I use Poweramp for music and Listen Audiobook for books, which is another excellent audiobook player - costs 75p. It has forward and back scan which you can set the amount of time to suit yourself, chapter jumps, a sleep timer, adjustable speed

Does the Listen app really have adjustable speed control? like 1.1x (or 110%), 1.2x, 1.3x, etc? Does it work well? Speed control is not mentioned at all in the google play description. That's why I passed on this app, it looked perfect otherwise.

I've been using Smart Audiobook player because speed control is my top priority for audiobooks. It works great, but lacks the ability to customize rewind and FF buttons, and more importantly, lacks a lock screen widget. I'd be VERY interested in a droid audiobook app that has both speed control functionality and a lock screen widget.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #111
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Does the Listen app really have adjustable speed control? like 1.1x (or 110%), 1.2x, 1.3x, etc? Does it work well? Speed control is not mentioned at all in the google play description. That's why I passed on this app, it looked perfect otherwise.

I've been using Smart Audiobook player because speed control is my top priority for audiobooks. It works great, but lacks the ability to customize rewind and FF buttons, and more importantly, lacks a lock screen widget. I'd be VERY interested in a droid audiobook app that has both speed control functionality and a lock screen widget.
Listen has a speed control for mp3 files listed in the menu under "Labs" as an experimental feature. Seems to work when I tried it, but it's not something I use.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #112
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Listen has a speed control for mp3 files listed in the menu under "Labs" as an experimental feature. Seems to work when I tried it, but it's not something I use.

Thanks. I did pony up the 99 cents to check it out. Very nice, polished app. It found and imported all the audiobooks -and only audiobooks - on my phone without having to specify a folder. Impressive! I then tried out the speed control and it crashed my phone - had to pull the battery. Experimental indeed! Also, there doesn't seem to be any lock screen controls for my Rezound with ICS. Still, this is a promising audio book app & I'll be eagerly awaiting updates.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #113
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I installed both Akimbo and Astro Player on my android reader and both have speed controls that work well. I've only had to actually speed up one book, though.

Speed control is built into my iPod. Seems to work fine, but I've only just played around with it for fun.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #114
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on Listen Audiobook Player.
It's now my new favorite. It has all the important features I liked in Mortplayer, a very nice GUI, plus it is the only one of the current crop of audiobook players I've found that supports gapless playback, at least on my Jellybean phone, which is important for content that is, for whatever reason, broken into a large number of short audio files.
It has one other main advantage over Mortplayer for me: Listen is being actively updated, and the developer has been very responsive to questions, issues and feature requests.

ApK
Pleased to be of assistance
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote